Lt. Commander
# 11
06-26-2010, 05:21 PM
My name is William Miller. You can google my name and you won't find me, just a few hundred thousand other William Miller's. Even if you type my full name you won't find me but a few thousand others with my exact name. Do I care other people have my name in game no. Whould I be ****ed if I couldn't have my own name: yes. When I was in highschool, of about a thousand people there were seven Miller's and about thirty William's and it didn't bother me.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereign View Post
The needs of the many outweigh the few... or the one.
There can only be one
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
have to agree it's stupid I don't know why they did it that way but this far in the game it won't change
baaaawwwwl
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-26-2010, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naper View Post
Why is it that 2 different people can have the same name?
First of all, your @Name is what separates you from others with the same name. Think of it as being akin to a surname. Only in the real world you can have more than one person with the same name.

In the real world, a lot of people have the same name. Also, when you're limited to only names that have not been chosen already, you end up with a game's available names getting more and more scarce and new names becoming more and more random in appearance.

I for one would rather be in a game full of humans named Tom, Richard, and Harry than one filled with humans named Obijweahuloas, Rqwdiqonn, and Asfdafqweon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralMiller View Post
My name is William Miller. You can google my name and you won't find me, just a few hundred thousand other William Miller's. Even if you type my full name you won't find me but a few thousand others with my exact name. Do I care other people have my name in game no. Whould I be ****ed if I couldn't have my own name: yes. When I was in highschool, of about a thousand people there were seven Miller's and about thirty William's and it didn't bother me.
If you search for my real name on Google, you'll find a ton of people who aren't me. You'll find people who are everything from ballet dancers to exotic dancers, nurses, peoples' mothers, sisters, wives... I've yet to find even one instance of myself on Google except through my half dozen handles that I use in various communities.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naper View Post
Why is it that 2 different people can have the same name?
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
have to agree it's stupid I don't know why they did it that way but this far in the game it won't change
What's worse is when the name John is already taken...

and Jon

and J'on

and J'ohn

and J-ohn

and J-on

and every permutation you could imagine.

Would you like to see someone run around with the name Jhaymes because they really wanted James but everything else was taken?

We sidestepped that and I hate the unique name convention.

I wanted to play Captain Jack Shepard - instead of have to play Captain Jacque Sheepherd due to arbitrary naming conventions that limit player freedom.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
What's worse is when the name John is already taken...

and Jon

and J'on

and J'ohn

and J-ohn

and J-on

and every permutation you could imagine.

Would you like to see someone run around with the name Jhaymes because they really wanted James but everything else was taken?

We sidestepped that and I hate the unique name convention.

I wanted to play Captain Jack Shepard - instead of have to play Captain Jacque Sheepherd due to arbitrary naming conventions that limit player freedom.
For once we agree on something. It had to happen. Oh, your Oregon Trail idea is pretty cool.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I have to agree with the original poster. I find remembering people's faces and names tiring, so how am I to know if they mean me when they say John?

My solution is simplicity itself: I murder everyone I come across who has attempted to steal my name. Also, people named Jean - depending on how they pronounce it. Also the occasional person just using the restroom. But that's clear cut self defense. Somebody says "I am going to hit the John" and what am I supposed to think? I'm the John!
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartesianDaemon
I have to agree with the original poster. I find remembering people's faces and names tiring, so how am I to know if they mean me when they say John?

My solution is simplicity itself: I murder everyone I come across who has attempted to steal my name. Also, people named Jean - depending on how they pronounce it. Also the occasional person just using the restroom. But that's clear cut self defense. Somebody says "I am going to hit the John" and what am I supposed to think? I'm the John!
You must have a hard time coping with the way names work in the real world.

I can just see it now, you're debating with your spouse what to name your newborn daughter:

"Lets name her Mary."
"No, can't, that name was taken thousands of years ago."
"John?"
"Nope, also taken thousands of years ago."
"Tommi Jo?"
"No, some redneck took that name already."
"Screw it, lets just name her Asfeqwhfieqowncoq"

As for murdering everyone you come across who has attempted to steal your name: do you really think this is a realistic course of action? If so, where do you live? I'd like to call the cops and report the whereabouts of the serial killer who only targets people named "John".

:p
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallurgist
You must have a hard time coping with the way names work in the real world.

I can just see it now, you're debating with your spouse what to name your newborn daughter:

"Lets name her Mary."
"No, can't, that name was taken thousands of years ago."
"John?"
"Nope, also taken thousands of years ago."
"Tommi Jo?"
"No, some redneck took that name already."
"Screw it, lets just name her Asfeqwhfieqowncoq"

As for murdering everyone you come across who has attempted to steal your name: do you really think this is a realistic course of action? If so, where do you live? I'd like to call the cops and report the whereabouts of the serial killer who only targets people named "John".

:p

Ah, sweet Asfeqwhfieqowncoq. I will call her Asfeqwhfieqown for short.
Lt. Commander
# 20 more typical cryptic
06-26-2010, 06:59 PM
It may be true that many people on planet earth are named John. However in Star Trek (most times I believe this game is based on that IP as they like to call it around here) ship names were unique.

Imagine how hard it must be to coordinate fleet actions like the big space battles in late Deep Space Nine if ship names weren't unique.

"USS Farragut, come about and flank them"

suddenly 15 ships reply to the flag ship saying "Did you mean me my ship sir?"

While I do not personally like the lack of unique names, I will agree that it is more realistic. Although I have met no one in real life whose name is John@Smith. I have heard of an author named Margaret @wood, although that is Atwood.

I must say the naming policy or lack there of is ridiculous. All the Gym Kurk's and John Luck Peecard's out there are annoying. Or the dumb names like BIGBADBEAVER@SNATCH or whatever other things you see out there.

The benefit is at least you can look at someone's name, judge their book by its cover and decide not to add them to your fleet.