Lt. Commander
# 21
06-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by panthro View Post
have to agree it's stupid I don't know why they did it that way but this far in the game it won't change
I could not disagree with you more. Names should never be required as unique. Here's why:

http://www.lifesmith.com/comnames.html

The first MMO's are just written so poorly they required unique names and for some reason the trend stuck. Cryptic should be applauded for breaking out of this mentality.
Lt. Commander
# 22
06-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartesianDaemon
I have to agree with the original poster. I find remembering people's faces and names tiring, so how am I to know if they mean me when they say John?

My solution is simplicity itself: I murder everyone I come across who has attempted to steal my name. Also, people named Jean - depending on how they pronounce it. Also the occasional person just using the restroom. But that's clear cut self defense. Somebody says "I am going to hit the John" and what am I supposed to think? I'm the John!
lol

well, possibly 900 million or so to go mate, never fear you will get there one day
Lt. Commander
# 23
06-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
I could not disagree with you more. Names should never be required as unique. Here's why:

http://www.lifesmith.com/comnames.html

The first MMO's are just written so poorly they required unique names and for some reason the trend stuck. Cryptic should be applauded for breaking out of this mentality.
I know this is way off topic, but this list of name shows just how not ethnically diverse the USA is. Unless having 3 options is considered a lot (white, black, hispanic)...where's all the asian names, south asian names, middle eastern names etc??
Lt. Commander
# 24
06-26-2010, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naper View Post
Why is it that 2 different people can have the same name?
You think you are the only person int he world with your name? seems pretty realistic.
Lt. Commander
# 25
06-26-2010, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by naphl View Post
I know this is way off topic, but this list of name shows just how not ethnically diverse the USA is. Unless having 3 options is considered a lot (white, black, hispanic)...where's all the asian names, south asian names, middle eastern names etc??
True, because we all know that people living in (or hail from) those regions all have completely unique names.

Oh, wai...
Lt. Commander
# 26
06-26-2010, 07:33 PM
Imagine having a name like Honey or Summer. Better yet I knew a girl who had a unique name. Her's was Moon River. No her parents weren't Native American. Closer to hippy. Still everyone would think her last name was River.
Lt. Commander
# 28
06-26-2010, 07:45 PM
What I want to know is...

Why is there no option to see @ names in game? Even when you hit INFO you can't see @ names. You literally have to open the search pane to see it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
06-26-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otheym81 View Post
What I want to know is...

Why is there no option to see @ names in game? Even when you hit INFO you can't see @ names. You literally have to open the search pane to see it.
you can change the chat to show charater@handle names. just want they talk you will see everyone's handle. I think it works for info, but i would have to check it out.
Lt. Commander
# 30
06-26-2010, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
you can change the chat to show charater@handle names. just want they talk you will see everyone's handle. I think it works for info, but i would have to check it out.
Yeah, I have @handle turned on in chat as well. However, Otheym81 is right about info just showing the character's name, which is odd to me (I wasn't sure, either, and just checked to be sure). However, if you use the /who command, it will show their handle.

(Say, typing "/who fractal" in the chat box brings up the social search page with the names of players on-line with characters named "fractal."(Used my character as an example, so it would show up as "Fractal@Fractal_Eye") It also show the @handles. Not sure if it works for off-line people; haven't checked that, yet.)