Lt. Commander
# 41
06-27-2010, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderanger
It is a compromise because of the fact that we run on a single shard model. Requiring unique character names means that people are likely to get frustrated if "their name" is taken immediately after launch (especially given how active the RP community is). The same is true of ship names. We really wanted to avoid seeing names like "x-x-Picard-x-x" or other similarly unfortunate schemes. It isn't without problems, but we feel the benefits outweigh the downsides.
And a perfect solution to a tough question. I agree wholeheartedly with your (Cryptic's) decision.
Lt. Commander
# 42
06-27-2010, 08:25 AM
I was so pleased to get my preferred Trek handle... no nightmare BS .... I didn't know the game was out yet... was watching trek special on SyFy on DVR... saw the add & went oh no I missed it... now I'm screwed... but sane naming policy let me have what I wanted.... my handle from the old Armada days...

Napoleon BlownApart
Lt. Commander
# 43
06-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Yeah, I agree its not realistic. Like who has the same name as anyone else?
Lt. Commander
# 44
06-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
True, because we all know that people living in (or hail from) those regions all have completely unique names.

Oh, wai...
Singh, Nguyen, Babarakubona....one indian, one vietnamese, one rwandan. none of them look like smith, hernandez or jackson. All real last names of people I actually know who are from those regions, not saying they all have unique names (do you know how easy it is to find a nguyen in vietnam?) just that their names are not white northamerican, black north american or hispanic.

but like i said, this is off topic and this is neither the time or the place to discuss the fact that some americans think since they have blacks, whites and hispanics all in the same place that they are extremely diverse. Basically what I am saying is that having three options doesn't create as much diversity as say having 8 options. And I realize that now my post has nothing to do with the original topic or STO at all. Was just making an observation thats all.
Lt. Commander
# 45
06-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Well actually, many of the Star Trek related names were already taken by *Closed* Beta users... their Account Names took over names like "Galaxy", "Sovereign", "Enterprise", etc. etc.

I'm not starting a flame war here, but I for one was disappointed that after paying pre-order to get into "Open Beta", that the vast majority of Star Trek related account names were already taken... and I tried to set up my account as soon as I could under Open Beta rules...

Since Cryptic allows "double" names, at least I can still use Star Trek related names, and I for one is happy with this compromise...
Lt. Commander
# 46
06-28-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey, I'm proud of the names of my captains: Nicolai Kovac, Rachael Alderman Semmes, and Solin. Now, they aren't completely unique, but they aren't Kirk, Spock, Archer, Picard, Janeway, Optimus Prime, Megatron, Harry Potter, Edward Cullen, Bella Swan, Lemony Snicket... Trust me, I could do a lot worse.

Not that I've seen many of those names hanging around.
Lt. Commander
# 47
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
This is one thing I thought I wouldn't like that I do now like.

I love the fact that I can actually choose ANY name instead of spending 20 minutes plugging in names and having them being taken. I'd often in other games think of a name I really wanted that fit my character only to have it already used. That sucked.

This system is superior. However I think the @handles should be hidden (they're ugly) until you hover over the name (unless there's more than one of your name in the same chat zone which will make it show).
Lt. Commander
# 48
06-28-2010, 10:59 AM
You should be able to immediately dual anyone with your name. The winner gets to cut off the head and or saucer of the loser. The winner gets hit bt lightening from multiple directions and absorbs their power.

Then you get the new free emote....."There can be only one!!!!!!"
Lt. Commander
# 49
06-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
This system is superior. However I think the @handles should be hidden (they're ugly) until you hover over the name (unless there's more than one of your name in the same chat zone which will make it show).
Do you mean hidden by default? Because you can turn off the display of @handles in chat (and it already does the hover thing). Though I can see why they aren't hidden by default, since it might end up confusing people new to the system.

Or do you mean hidden everywhere else? (Like the Social window...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euclid-Fugazi
You should be able to immediately dual anyone with your name. The winner gets to cut off the head and or saucer of the loser. The winner gets hit from lightening from multiple directions and absorbs their power.

Then you get the new free emote....."There can be only one!!!!!!"
Yeeeah. Now I have that Queen song stuck in my head. Thanks. :p