Lt. Commander
# 121 i didn't know that
06-29-2010, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
We all know if you fly faster then Warp 10 (= Transwarp) you will turn into a lizzard and make out with your captain.
where dose the lizzard thing come from ? i've seen that comment before, but i know in the shows ships have travelled faster, Enterprise D went beyond warp 10 in TNG: "Where No One Has Gone Before") not a single lizzad then
Lt. Commander
# 122
06-29-2010, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIndigoFyre
Think of the galaxy-x more like a video game unlockable then a story driven plot device. Story-wise the galaxy-x does not exist because it is from an alternate timeline. Gameplay wise it exists because it is awesome and who wouldn't want to fly it?
I guess that's my problem. STO is supposed to be an MMORPG. In an RPG I expect a certain amount of consistency. While I can live with titles like "Tal Shiar's Most Wanted", "Arena Champion" or "Stunning" and even mirror universe uniforms I don't like it when it affects the gameplay. Federation starships aren't allowed to use a cloak because of the treaty of Algeron. But if you unlock the Galaxy-X by recruiting five friends or paying X $ you get one from an alternate timeline that can use its cloak and nobody gives a damn.

The Galaxy-X could easily exist in the STO timeline, it's a refit for the Galaxy-class just like the Constitution-class was refitted for the movies. It doesn't depend on the continued existence of the Enterprise-D. It would just for example have another tactical console instead of a cloak. Would that make the ship that much less awesome?
Lt. Commander
# 123
06-29-2010, 02:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMS_Indomitable
where dose the lizzard thing come from ? i've seen that comment before, but i know in the shows ships have travelled faster, Enterprise D went beyond warp 10 in TNG: "Where No One Has Gone Before") not a single lizzad then
It comes from a Voyager episode named "Threshold" and is genuinely ridiculed, lol. I'm a huge Voyager fanboi, and I even think it's one of the worst (and silliest) episodes of Trek, ever; not just Voyager, lol.

Although, from a Treknobabble point of view, I think it had lots of potential (trying to break the barrier, Tom breaking it and mutating, etc), but it was ruined with a horribad ... rest of the story (can't think of a better way to say it, lol).

Yeaah, I kind of like to forget that episode was made and shut it out (along with the final Enterprise episode, among others). Voyager's my favorite Trek series, but I can go either way on the Warp 10+ idea because of "Threshold"'s badness.
Lt. Commander
# 124
06-29-2010, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye
Although, from a Treknobabble point of view, I think it had lots of potential (trying to break the barrier, Tom breaking it and mutating, etc), but it was ruined with a horribad ... rest of the story (can't think of a better way to say it, lol).
Umm, you seemed to have glossed over the entire question with a fake word and an "I can't remember".

Was this the episode where he apparently reverted to a primevel being, not so much just a lizard?

I'm having trouble recalling the episode itself and would have refrained from posting, except for your tangential terasquat.
Lt. Commander
# 125
06-29-2010, 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cygnus-X-1
Umm, you seemed to have glossed over the entire question with a fake word and an "I can't remember".

Was this the episode where he apparently reverted to a primevel being, not so much just a lizard?

I'm having trouble recalling the episode itself and would have refrained from posting, except for your terasquat.
He asked about where the lizard remarks come from, and I provided the answer and a link to the episode. Also, the 'can't think of a better word for it' was in reference to the episode's story, because it was a very poor one.

He actually was supposed to have "hyper-evolved" into a lizard/salamander-esque creature. So, basically, the episode is saying that Humans are destined to turn into over-sized mudpuppies.

No problem having trouble recalling the episode; that's why I included the link.
Lt. Commander
# 126
06-29-2010, 02:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMIndigoFyre
I just got done reading all of this thread and the about the relevance of the Galaxy-X. I gotta say there is some pretty intense debate going on. I have to quote this Zodi post though, because I would put money on Kestrel in the writing staff being able to out canon all of you any day of the week. The only person I have seen to know more are the guys at CBS that we talk do, those guys are intense.

Think of the galaxy-x more like a video game unlockable then a story driven plot device. Story-wise the galaxy-x does not exist because it is from an alternate timeline. Gameplay wise it exists because it is awesome and who wouldn't want to fly it?
It would still be nice to have a good story explanation for the Galaxy-X. That would certainly improve immersion. And giving a good context for why the Federation now has a ship with cloak in our "soft cannon storyline".

Cool would be to make this its own mission perhaps? Something that introduces the Galaxy-X on the Federation side and makes it clear why the Romulans accept its presence?
Lt. Commander
# 127
06-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Why do so many people assume that the Treaty of Algeron is still intact?

The Romulan Empire, as it was, doesn't exist anymore. There is also quite open warfare between Empress Sela's forces and Starfleet. To me it seems only logical that the Federation would look into developing their own cloacking technology. Also Starfleet is a lot more militaristic in 2409 than it ever was in the 24th century.

Why do cloaks only exist on the Galaxy-X? Well, for decades Starfleet was bound by the treaty not to use cloaking and so they likely never bothered with designing ships that could actually use them. Even the USS Defiant was likely modified and refitted by the Romulans, back in the days.
Lt. Commander
# 128
06-29-2010, 02:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post

The Romulan Empire, as it was, doesn't exist anymore. There is also quite open warfare between Empress Sela's forces and Starfleet. To me it seems only logical that the Federation would look into developing their own cloacking technology. Also Starfleet is a lot more militaristic in 2409 than it ever was in the 24th century.

Why do cloaks only exist on the Galaxy-X? Well, for decades Starfleet was bound by the treaty not to use cloaking and so they likely never bothered with designing ships that could actually use them. Even the USS Defiant was likely modified and refitted by the Romulans, back in the days.
And why do so many people speak without having the relevant backstory.

Honestly, reading the whole "Path to 2409" should be required before being allowed to post on these forums.
Lt. Commander
# 129
06-29-2010, 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
It would still be nice to have a good story explanation for the Galaxy-X. That would certainly improve immersion. And giving a good context for why the Federation now has a ship with cloak in our "soft cannon storyline".

Cool would be to make this its own mission perhaps? Something that introduces the Galaxy-X on the Federation side and makes it clear why the Romulans accept its presence?
You'll probably only ever get the description from the cstore as an introduction which is.....

The Dreadnought Cruiser class is Unique. Designed specifically to fight the impending war with the Klingons, she is built for battle. The Dreadnought Cruiser is a refit Galaxy class ship. It is armed with a massive Spinal Phaser Lance, and a cloaking device. It is also the only Cruiser that can equip cannons.
Lt. Commander
# 130
06-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardserenade View Post

I brought this up to my "very casual" fleet members and am still recovering from the whiplash.

Even in Q's imaginary timeline, the Galaxy-X was created. Maybe our timeline is totally different, OR maybe it's just a tad bit off. MAYBE the Gal X was in development at Area 41, and sightings of it by cadets at SFA were just dismissed as "kids, they were probably drinking".

I can RP all day with you, but once one is built it becomes a Flagship. shortly there-after, a few more are added to the fleet. And if you wait a whole month? Then they can be purchased in the C-Store. NOT at a starbase. NOT at a shipyard. NOT via any game content. NOT at Utopia Planetia. NOT by completing a mission. NOT by completing several chained missions. NOT by being a loyal subscriber, NOT by recruiting new people, NOT by spending subscription money every month, and NOT by being a Veteran player.

How do you get it? Whip out the CC and spend five bucks,