Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-30-2010, 05:33 AM
It showed the character of the fanbase fairly well to me.
When a select lucky or resourceful few got something special in relation to STar Trek, the rest of the fanbase whines for the same thing ( or something similiar) and when those who cried "foul" got what they wanted - then the few who earned thier "special items" cried foul in return for losing the "uniqueness" of the original item.
Seems like deja-vue.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-30-2010, 05:52 AM
People that collect toys already have a special brand of insanity going on....

That being said....

The majority of the people playing the game asked for these things to be on the C-store, Cryptic listened and did what was asked of them.

I purchased only one copy of the game that came with the items I wanted, knowing that it would be ignorant and utterly stupid of me to purchase several copies just to get access to things that would be in the C-Store.

Am I upset that the constitution class ship is in the C-store? nope, not one bit, because for me to deny other people the enjoyment of flying around in that ship would make me a greedy, elitist, bastich.

buying multiple copies of the game just so you can feel "special" and "show off" because no one else has those items is a bit ridicules don't you think?
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-30-2010, 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post
Never Remove From Box
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-30-2010, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post

That being said....

The majority of the people playing the game asked for these things to be on the C-store, Cryptic listened and did what was asked of them.

I purchased only one copy of the game that came with the items I wanted, knowing that it would be ignorant and utterly stupid of me to purchase several copies just to get access to things that would be in the C-Store.

Am I upset that the constitution class ship is in the C-store? nope, not one bit, because for me to deny other people the enjoyment of flying around in that ship would make me a greedy, elitist, bastich.

buying multiple copies of the game just so you can feel "special" and "show off" because no one else has those items is a bit ridicules don't you think?
Agreed with this. I only purchased the Wal-Mart version because I honestly picked up Star Trek Online on a whim. I didn't even know STO had other things to give out depending on where you picked it up. I don't go into purchasing MMO's for the exclusives that can be given with going to a particular store. I get an MMO because I want to play a game with others that isn't just a SHMUP.
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-30-2010, 06:33 AM
I bought three copies of the game and it's not a big deal to me that they made them available on c-store. I got my use many times over on the items I bought I made a lot of alts. I just wish they would have made the c-store items do the same thing they would just have a different name and appearance.

Like the Borg bridge officer would have been an android with the same stats that wouldn't stack with the Borg BO. That way the people who bought the games would still feel like theirs items were exclusive. People could still buy the games for the bonuses and I would probably bought the c-store bridge officer too.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-30-2010, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roach View Post
It showed the character of the fanbase fairly well to me.
When a select lucky or resourceful few got something special in relation to STar Trek, the rest of the fanbase whines for the same thing ( or something similiar) and when those who cried "foul" got what they wanted - then the few who earned thier "special items" cried foul in return for losing the "uniqueness" of the original item.
Seems like deja-vue.
cartman voice: "i reaaached thiiis kiiid"

this is about UNDERSTANDING the Fanbase.
It doesnt matter if it is action figures, limited edition DVD's or an exclusive Pre-Order DLC.

one could say

Same Sh*t, diffrent market.

Bottomline: "Exclusives" in the Box are a bad idea to begin with! (those are just there to cash in extra and with the games you realy want you will not care about money)
Changing the set RULES shortly after release is an even worse idea, it only shows that you dont know WTF your Company is doing and that you just bend over to anything if you smell Cash!

If they would have anounced that the Galaxy-X is coming to the C-Store when they introduced the RAF Program then a LOT of flamethreads would have been stopped before a fire even got started, nobody would have had the idea to buy multiple copys.... NO they had no idea this would happen 2 Months ago.

If they would have announced a DATE when the Pre-Order Exclusives will be made public nobody would have had a problem with it.

Beeing vague all the time about what you intend to do does not help here it makes the whole situation worse because from now on every Word you say will be disected under a microscope and nobody will believe you when you say the words "exclusive" or "special" ever again.

I have no problem with any of the items beeing exclusive or not... even if i feel ***** by some of those decisions and that i have flushed good money down the toilet for nothing. (seriously i can live with that, it is just money after all, you win some, you loose some.)

I have a problem with the way they *sold* the promotions to us and changed the rules right after people invested into it! (either by working for it or by spending money you worked for).

Well at least i got a few nice collector boxes on my shelf now ...and a T-Shirt ....which doesn't fit me.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-30-2010, 06:49 AM
Hahaha, nice find OP! I have nothing to do with the collectable world, but it is a funny parallel. Cryptic went down in flames with STO fans long ago, and to add insult to injury they just POed a huge chunk of their lifetime/pre-order subscribers.

Cryptic marketing is like a half-dead Vidiian still flailing around, trying to crit its subscribers with 9k damage by harvesting their "exclusives". But they're swinging at air with their half-rendered arm as I've beamed-out to explore OTHER strange new worlds.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-30-2010, 06:53 AM
Whoo hoo! Another complaint thread! Just what the forums needed!
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-30-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shard-Warrior View Post
Whoo hoo! Another complaint thread! Just what the forums needed!
As i said this is not supposed to be a complaint Thread...
i just wanted to point out the similarity in these 2 incidents that are only releated by the Star Trek license.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Kinda makes me embarrassed to admit I'm a Trekkie.

"So, you watch Star Trek?"
"Yeah. Why?"
"Well, I heard you complain and I thought 'he must be a Trekkie'."