Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
06-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
As i said this is not supposed to be a complaint Thread...
i just wanted to point out the similarity in these 2 incidents that are only releated by the Star Trek license.
Gimme a break here...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
06-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
I dont blame anyone personally...

and honestly i dont care who signs the paycheks of the marketing guys that keep screwing things up.
you should cuz they may very well be the one who say, and other suits will go along with it, STO will be F2P, and everything in the cstore will be free as well
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
06-30-2010, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krenn View Post
you should cuz they may very well be the one who say, and other suits will go along with it, STO will be F2P, and everything in the cstore will be free as well
You cant realy blame suits for making stupid decisions, that comes with the job description.

because... you know... the tie stops the bloodflow to the brain once you put it on, that is like a "common sense debuff" only that it is permanent.
You can see that happening with Politicians and people that work at Banks all over the world so dont tell me it's not true!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
You know what? This has nothing to do with poor marketing departments. It has to do with a fanbase that is so crazy, insane, and entitled that they think they should have EVERY perceived slight against them rectified. It's ridiculous. I thought this sort of behavior only existed in children, not so-called adults.

Those of you who whine and complain about the 'exclusives' and then demand compensation need to grow the hell up. I'm absolutely tired of your whining and constant complaining on these forums. You ruin an otherwise decent community with your antics. I feel for your children, if you should have any, because they're going to grow up thinking that this is acceptable adult behavior and just carry on with your 'legacy,' thus polluting the human race with even more jealousy, greed, and entitlement.

It's pretty sad when WORLD OF ******** has a better forum community than this game.

/rant
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarinSolare
You know what? This has nothing to do with poor marketing departments. It has to do with a fanbase that is so crazy, insane, and entitled that they think they should have EVERY perceived slight against them rectified. It's ridiculous. I thought this sort of behavior only existed in children, not so-called adults.

Those of you who whine and complain about the 'exclusives' and then demand compensation need to grow the hell up. I'm absolutely tired of your whining and constant complaining on these forums. You ruin an otherwise decent community with your antics. I feel for your children, if you should have any, because they're going to grow up thinking that this is acceptable adult behavior and just carry on with your 'legacy,' thus polluting the human race with even more jealousy, greed, and entitlement.

It's pretty sad when WORLD OF ******** has a better forum community than this game.

/rant
I support this post 100%


You would think fans of Star Trek might display some of the fine qualities of the people in those shows...


I guess they learned nothing from Star Trek....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
06-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupgoblin View Post
buying multiple copies of the game just so you can feel "special" and "show off" because no one else has those items is a bit ridicules don't you think?
You know, I bought multiple pre-order copies because I wanted the items that were advertised as "exclusive, pre-order bonus," not to show them off or feel elitist, but simply because I thought it would be fun to, say, have ToS uniforms with the ToS Constitution class.

To me, it was part of the entire idea of "immersion" (another utter failure, but that's a different topic) promised by Cryptic starting back in August of '08 at the Vegas convention announcement by Jack Emmert.

The "exclusive" situation that has me STOffed is the principle involved. See below.

What really annoys the heck out of me about this is the fact that yes, they said in the FAQ that these items might show up in the C-Store in the future, they also did not post that FAQ until well after many of us bought pre-orders with many retailers having a policy of non-refundability for digital download purchases.

Not only did they have non-refundable policies, but the charge from Atari showed up on my card 16 minutes after I placed the order (and I know I'm not the only one who got charged prior to when they should have because I saw the comments on that back on the pre-launch forums).

They had marketing with enticements to buy, but didn't provide full disclosure on the nature of the "exclusive" items until it was too late for some.

So yeah, I have issues with these items showing up in the C-Store.

And yeah, the OP's post is very familiar, despite those who would try to dismantle the point by arguing semantics or being unable to draw comparisons. Not going to argue that. I'm pretty sure that an inability to see the similarity in the "big picture" sense is due to a desire to not see it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
What can you say....
It pays to have money.... It really does!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarinSolare
You know what? This has nothing to do with poor marketing departments. It has to do with a fanbase that is so crazy, insane, and entitled that they think they should have EVERY perceived slight against them rectified. It's ridiculous. I thought this sort of behavior only existed in children, not so-called adults.

Those of you who whine and complain about the 'exclusives' and then demand compensation need to grow the hell up. I'm absolutely tired of your whining and constant complaining on these forums. You ruin an otherwise decent community with your antics. I feel for your children, if you should have any, because they're going to grow up thinking that this is acceptable adult behavior and just carry on with your 'legacy,' thus polluting the human race with even more jealousy, greed, and entitlement.

It's pretty sad when WORLD OF ******** has a better forum community than this game.

/rant
A) Try decaf.
B) Complaining about complainers is definitely a behaviour that exists in children.
C) If you're absolutely tired of the complaints and feel that comments posted here ruin the community, um...why do you read them? I mean, it's pretty easy to avoid stuff that'd bother you on the forums. The topic title should have told you all you needed to know. Just curious.
D) Isn't your rant exactly the same kind of thing you're complaining about and stating as a cause of ruination for the forums?
E) I do so love watching hypocrisy in action.
F) Try decaf.

Anyway...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
06-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Well, if Playmates had posted a FAQ like Cryptic did announcing that preorder items would possibly be released further down the line, Playmates wouldn't have had as many issues.

Much of what Cryptic's done was announced in advanced: from preorder FAQ to the terms and conditions of the RAF being pretty clear.

Also, all STO players have internet access (or know where to find it). This makes researching products (and reading said FAQs or the RAF terms and conditions) that much easier.

Even the power of Google isn't enough to help some of the player-base - and that's a pretty powerful tool for consumer research.
Funny.

Go look at steam.

The Deluxe Version is still listing its bonuses as "Exclusive"

FAQ's are fine and dandy, until you put on the boxes themselves that these items are exclusive, or tell your distributors(steam) to market them as such. Which was an outright lie.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
06-30-2010, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
cartman voice: "i reaaached thiiis kiiid"

this is about UNDERSTANDING the Fanbase.
It doesnt matter if it is action figures, limited edition DVD's or an exclusive Pre-Order DLC.

one could say

Same Sh*t, diffrent market.
I wasn't reached, I merely remember the outcry of "I want this Now!!!! or you can stick-it" threads that popped up day two of open beta and the sometimes outrageous demand that the fanbase wanted or the game was doooooooomed. I'm not saying all of the fanbase is this way, but a great deal did rear thier ugly heads in the forums.
Heck at one point I even had my religion attacked because I said I liked the WAR setting of STO.
SO overall I think the fanbase has gotten a little too self -absorbed in the genre.




Quote:
Bottomline: "Exclusives" in the Box are a bad idea to begin with! (those are just there to cash in extra and with the games you realy want you will not care about money)
Changing the set RULES shortly after release is an even worse idea, it only shows that you dont know WTF your Company is doing and that you just bend over to anything if you smell Cash!

If they would have anounced that the Galaxy-X is coming to the C-Store when they introduced the RAF Program then a LOT of flamethreads would have been stopped before a fire even got started, nobody would have had the idea to buy multiple copys.... NO they had no idea this would happen 2 Months ago.


If they would have announced a DATE when the Pre-Order Exclusives will be made public nobody would have had a problem with it.


Beeing vague all the time about what you intend to do does not help here it makes the whole situation worse because from now on every Word you say will be disected under a microscope and nobody will believe you when you say the words "exclusive" or "special" ever again.


I have no problem with any of the items beeing exclusive or not... even if i feel ***** by some of those decisions and that i have flushed good money down the toilet for nothing. (seriously i can live with that, it is just money after all, you win some, you loose some.)

I have a problem with the way they *sold* the promotions to us and changed the rules right after people invested into it! (either by working for it or by spending money you worked for).


Well at least i got a few nice collector boxes on my shelf now ...and a T-Shirt ....which doesn't fit me.
I have no problem with any MMO developer attempting to pre-sell thier product by offering "incentives" to make one buy it. I did feel a small slight at the "bring 5 friends into STO" marketing idea though, as I should only spread the fun of the game based on how much I enjoy it and not becuase I had a carrot waived in front of me.
I also don't blame Cryptic for the sudden rush to put everything in the C-store for all to purchase. They are trying to satisfy a somewhat childish fanbase at times and doing the best they can.
I can blame Cryptic for not sticking to thier guns and making STO how they wanted too, instead of giving into demands and vague threats.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:45 AM.