Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Personally I really like what Cryptic has done with Federation ships they have stuck with many of the classic design elements while being fresh at the same time. That being said I do believe the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans need a major revamp in their ship design, so far all their ships look exactly like they did in TNG and that is a real shame since they have done some nice work with updating the Federation ships I would love to see the other three major races get a redesign to.

I would like to know if Cryptic plans on updating the ship designs for the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM
Thanks to the game's premature launch, most enemy ships have only a handful of different types. Not much variety at all.

But the Klingons have something that makes me hopeful: the K'tanco class Battlecruiser. It's a Cryptic original design, and still screams "Klingon" when you look at it. The BoP's didn't fare so well, but then, Cryptic's designs are, if anything, hit or miss (Envoy makes me hurl, but the Excalibur is sexy as hell and most of the others are in between). With any luck, there's more Klink ship skins with Season 2 they're not mentioning, and as time goes one we'll see more ships for each faction...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
06-29-2010, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
Personally I really like what Cryptic has done with Federation ships they have stuck with many of the classic design elements while being fresh at the same time. That being said I do believe the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans need a major revamp in their ship design, so far all their ships look exactly like they did in TNG and that is a real shame since they have done some nice work with updating the Federation ships I would love to see the other three major races get a redesign to.

I would like to know if Cryptic plans on updating the ship designs for the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans.
They may be saving new ship designs for when they release those factions as playable. They already released Klingon variants in season 1, they arent really anything special but eh.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
06-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexsam View Post
Thanks to the game's premature launch, most enemy ships have only a handful of different types. Not much variety at all.
In a nutshell
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Save for those completely unnecessary ventral fins on the bottom, the K'Tanco is an okay looking ship. But I'm not impressed with Federation nacelle pylon designs. Those "swiss cheese" designs could send even the most emotionless Vulcan into a raging fit about insufficient structural integrity.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
06-29-2010, 06:54 PM
For the KDF a real quick fix would be for them to make Gorn and Orion ships available to them; this would inject some much needed variety into the KDF.
My biggest fear is that when they actually get around to releasing a Romulan faction is that all they will do is rehash the preexisting in game models ( which are TNG era ships) instead of designing newer fresh ships that are up to date with the Federation.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
06-29-2010, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
Personally I really like what Cryptic has done with Federation ships they have stuck with many of the classic design elements while being fresh at the same time. That being said I do believe the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans need a major revamp in their ship design, so far all their ships look exactly like they did in TNG and that is a real shame since they have done some nice work with updating the Federation ships I would love to see the other three major races get a redesign to.

I would like to know if Cryptic plans on updating the ship designs for the Klingons, Cardasians, and Romulans.
With the Klingons, the idea is that Klingons don't really change what's worked over hundreds of years. For instance, the Bird-of-Prey hardly has changed since the days of Archer, and the K'T'inga being still in service since the days of Kirk.

The Cardassians are recovering and took the budget away from the military machine, so they don't have the resources to develop new ships. While the Alpha Dominion are working what they have left.

The Romulans do have new designs that are poping up, but since they took a major hit with the Hobus supernova, they have to scrounge up what they can of what's working to retain a working starfleet. Thats why we see Enterprise-Era R-BoP's flying around.


Now when we officially get these factions as playable, I'm sure Cryptic will fill the gaps with new starships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
06-30-2010, 10:45 AM
If anybody has any drawings, designs, or ideas that they would love to see in new ship designs for the KDF, Romulans, and Cardasians please post them here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
06-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Klingons already do have new ship designs. They have 5 new birds of prey, I believe 3 or 4 new raptors, a new cruiser and two new carriers. It's still far less than what the Federation has, but it's there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
06-30-2010, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Tar
Klingons already do have new ship designs. They have 5 new birds of prey, I believe 3 or 4 new raptors, a new cruiser and two new carriers. It's still far less than what the Federation has, but it's there.
The problem is all those ships look alike their is very little variation to them. I do not have a problem with ships having the same iconic look, but am I really supposed to believe that Klingon ship design and technology has stayed static for about 200 years.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:17 PM.