Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presbytier View Post
The problem is all those ships look alike their is very little variation to them. I do not have a problem with ships having the same iconic look, but am I really supposed to believe that Klingon ship design and technology has stayed static for about 200 years.
Exactly. A bunch of different versions of the same ship is lame. Make new CLASSES, not VARIANTS.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Quote:
The problem is all those ships look alike their is very little variation to them. I do not have a problem with ships having the same iconic look, but am I really supposed to believe that Klingon ship design and technology has stayed static for about 200 years.
If you watch the series and movies you'll see that YES indeed the Klingon ships have not had any major modification throughout the years. From TOS to TNG the BoP has infact looked the same. There has been a couple of variants of cruisers that I have seen. Yet there have been over 70 variants in the Federation ships.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
The Klingons are a very traditional species. They always have been. Its not hard to see them staying with the traditional designs of their starships. The BoP is a clear example of this. There has been VERY little change in the design of the BoP from the Era of Archer all the way to DS9. Also think about the fact that the Klingons also prefer to fight hand to hand or with a sword against an adversary... granted they will shoot you if its a gun fight you want but they would rather get in with their blades and cut you. The Bat'leth hasnt changed much at all in the entirety of the Klingon empire. In TNG they showed Kaless's Bat'leth and it looked almost identical to the modern Bat'leth being used by every other Klingon you see.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgowan
The Klingons are a very traditional species. They always have been. Its not hard to see them staying with the traditional designs of their starships. The BoP is a clear example of this. There has been VERY little change in the design of the BoP from the Era of Archer all the way to DS9. Also think about the fact that the Klingons also prefer to fight hand to hand or with a sword against an adversary... granted they will shoot you if its a gun fight you want but they would rather get in with their blades and cut you. The Bat'leth hasnt changed much at all in the entirety of the Klingon empire. In TNG they showed Kaless's Bat'leth and it looked almost identical to the modern Bat'leth being used by every other Klingon you see.
I really want to say that in addition to that, there have been a number of 'classes' of BoP's but they have still maintained the same exterior design, maybe a little larger in comparison to other ships.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-02-2010, 09:58 AM
I love how so many people have long winded explenations for why it would make sence for every faction other than starfleet to have a small number of designs. The real reason is that all the classes of starfleet ships are a result of the "cool ship" trope and the need to distinguish between the hero's ship and any allied ships, whereas the bad guys just need to be the monolithic bad guys (and in fact if the same enemy faction shows up with a new ship every week the audience will be hella' confused).

In actuality starfleet has too many classes. If they were a real military their ships would all look prety much the same with changes only occuring alongside signifigant breakthroughs in technology, or change in mission profile (for example the change from mostly circular/eliptical saicers to pointier saucers could have been a breakthrough in warp field theory better matching the hull to the most effishint field geometry). You wouldn't have the half dozen distinkt classes that perform the same role, with the same technology base that we see in STO (and all other Star Trek material).

Now, the real question is: how many ship classes makes for a good MMO?
and clearly the answer to that is "as many as possible but they all need to look like they belong".
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
Quote:
If anybody has any drawings, designs, or ideas that they would love to see in new ship designs for the KDF, Romulans, and Cardasians please post them here.
I did theses new Klingon Starship Concepts prior to Beta, which retain the classic Klingon Shape, but also has the classic familiarity.

Suricata came up with a new Klingon Battlecruiser as well as a this WONDERFUL Romulan Warbird.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-02-2010, 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I did theses new Klingon Starship Concepts prior to Beta, which retain the classic Klingon Shape, but also has the classic familiarity.

Suricata came up with a new Klingon Battlecruiser as well as a this WONDERFUL Romulan Warbird.
I like these especially the Warbird!
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-02-2010, 11:29 AM
If anything, that would make a very nice Tier 2 or Tier 3 Romulan Starship.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-02-2010, 11:32 AM
What would help the Klingons out a ton is if they had access to the Gorn and Nausican(sp?) ships. The Devs have already said this is something they want to do, they just need to actually DO it.