Lt. Commander
# 11 Commodore!
06-29-2010, 06:53 PM
+1 for Commodore!

Commodore is a military rank used in many navies for officers whose position exceeds that of a navy captain, but is less than that of a rear admiral. -Wikipedia
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT043
Instead of Rear Admiral, Lower Half, why not Commodore? I know it might require some adjustment to what's already in game, but the upper half/lower half terminology feels.... ungainly.
We've been asking for this since launch. Cryptic doesn't seem interested in accomodating.
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrT043
Instead of Rear Admiral, Lower Half, why not Commodore? I know it might require some adjustment to what's already in game, but the upper half/lower half terminology feels.... ungainly.
Starfleet has removed Commodore since TOS. Hell even Kirk was a Rear Admiral not a Commodore. A Fleet Captain sounds better to me rather than Commodore. Given all the choices I like the fact they (Star Trek) use the U.S. Navy as a model for the rank stucture, therefore, I like R.A.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-29-2010, 07:01 PM
For what it's worth, Cryptics ranks are in line with real world Navies. Commodore is normally used as a position not an actual rank. It normally implies commanding a squadron. Not that it has to matter, just wanted to pipe up for Cryptic and why they probably picked the progression the way they did.
Lt. Commander
# 15 Sweet.
06-29-2010, 07:08 PM
Gimme Gimme Gimme!
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-29-2010, 07:11 PM
If they wanted to be in line with real world navies they would have inclueded LTJG.

Commodor does sound like a plan even if it an other rank.

+1 to Fleet Admiral with extra ships. Promote Bridge officer to CPT.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MChez
For what it's worth, Cryptics ranks are in line with real world Navies. Commodore is normally used as a position not an actual rank. It normally implies commanding a squadron. Not that it has to matter, just wanted to pipe up for Cryptic and why they probably picked the progression the way they did.
Beat me to it.

It got confusing to have 2 distinct types of commodores hence the change to lower and upper half admirals.
Lt. Commander
# 18 @op: +1
06-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I mean, who wants to be promoted from Rear Admiral to... Rear Admiral...?
Me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0pr0cks View Post
-1 for Commodore!
Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvagabond View Post
All Tier 5 Ships?

I hope we will see more ships soon.
A flagship is a flagship. There isn't enough (game-timeline) time for Starfleet to have developed the next generation of starships for t6 imo. There's also the problem of Starfleet not sending its best to fight the Borg in the STFs if t6 were to exist (this point also goes against that damn refit-an-ancient-ship-to-t5-capability that people keep begging for).
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-29-2010, 07:15 PM
The title of Commodore is generally given to someone in a Captain in a Command Billet that is tasked with multiple ships and crew.

I doubt we'd see this until we start commanding multiple craft (and don't include the multiple ships you can get at Lt. - that's an odd place to put Commodore).
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Glad I can see the official list here! I did start a thread talking specifically about the mysterious 6th tier rank...

I would originally have preferred Commodore as tier 5's rank, as have many other users, but with all the explaining going on, I see why it might not work...

I am happy that what is now RA will become RA lower half, and people at RA5 will quickly increase to RA upper half.

I dont expect to see any new ships added to RA upper half, or any new skills for that matter, but I would Really like to see you guys let us spend skill points once again on our captain skill pt trees. I didnt realize that once you reached the lvl cap you couldnt spend anymore points! kinda was devastating to me... i was looking forward to maxing out every area my captain had! hopefully you guys will make that possible by the time we reach Fleet Admiral... i would hate to have empty spots that i couldnt upgrade no matter how many skill points and STFs i got and did.
Closed Thread