Lt. Commander
# 261
07-13-2010, 11:09 PM
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that when they make shows they have a predefined rank structure laid out before any sort of real production begins. In all of them past the original movies era, commodore is in fact removed. This can be seen as fact in the notes for the rank structures. It was removed sometime during or after the monster maroon era. Could it be brought back? Yes. Could any imaginary rank be added as well? Yes. Will it? Probably not.

It doesn't exist from TNG onward.

I also still want all ranks to be ten levels.
Lt. Commander
# 262
07-14-2010, 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhno View Post
One thing that I don't think has been mentioned is that when they make shows they have a predefined rank structure laid out before any sort of real production begins. In all of them past the original movies era, commodore is in fact removed. This can be seen as fact in the notes for the rank structures. It was removed sometime during or after the monster maroon era. Could it be brought back? Yes. Could any imaginary rank be added as well? Yes. Will it? Probably not.

It doesn't exist from TNG onward.

I also still want all ranks to be ten levels.
And again, there is no evidence of that. Show me any episode or film where they say that there is no Commodore rank (I'll save you the time: there is none).

There is nothing to say it was removed and nothing to say it was retained.

As I have said, the best solution would be to grant BOTH titles at the same time. Let US choose which to use.
Lt. Commander
# 263
07-14-2010, 12:10 AM
that is true but after ToS&ToS Movies commdre is never herd of again only Admiral's
Lt. Commander
# 264
07-14-2010, 04:38 AM
someone ask for a commodore
Lt. Commander
# 265
07-14-2010, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malffurion
that is true but after ToS&ToS Movies commdre is never herd of again only Admiral's

I realize there's over 250 responses, so I'm not merely dismissing you, but that has been mentioned. Because it hasn't been mentioned doesn't mean it's been removed.
Lt. Commander
# 266 Commodore!
07-14-2010, 05:52 AM
I'm firmly, nay, passionately, in favour of "Commodore" instead of the cumbersome "Rear Admiral, Lower Half"

2 grounds:

1) It is canonical. Never mentioned from TNG onwards, true, (because they tracked what the USN was doing, for whatever reason), but STO is set long after TNG. Are we to consider that everything organizational pertaining to Starfleet would stay snap-frozen as it was in the TNG era? Of course not.

2) Starfleet represents Earth and all the other UFP planets. While often portrayed as being a spiritual descendant of the USN, it is also in the tradition of other navies, such as the (British) Royal Navy. (see Hornblower)
The "Rear Admiral, Lower/Upper" structure is peculiar to the United States, and only the United States, which has introduced and abolished "Commodore"several times (due to political restrictions on the number of Admirals) in the USN's glorious 216 year history. This is not the norm. Not at all.
All other major navies on Earth have a "Commodore" rank, and have had for a very long time.
Let's show them some respect, and give them some representation.
Lt. Commander
# 267
07-14-2010, 05:59 AM
Great ideas, Mojo.
I was writing Star Trek computer games in the 70's & 80's. Exploration was something I planned for a lot (never implemented due to the memory limitations of the era.).

"Explore strange new worlds."

Yeah.
Lt. Commander
# 268
07-14-2010, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegea
I'm not sure anyone even uses the Commodore rank anymore. Perhaps it's still in use in Europe?
Only nearly every other country in the world.
(Which is more than just Europe, btw)

Lt. Commander
# 269
07-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor
someone ask for a commodore
Bwahaha... love puns.
Lt. Commander
# 270
07-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by routier View Post
Great ideas, Mojo.
I was writing Star Trek computer games in the 70's & 80's. Exploration was something I planned for a lot (never implemented due to the memory limitations of the era.).

"Explore strange new worlds."

Yeah.
Glad you like them. I was also designing games in the 70s and 80s, but I was doing pen & paper, I can't program for beans (the last computer program I wrote was in BASIC...).

Largely random generation with a large number of possible variables would result in highly varied content. It would be hard to have two mission the same. I call that good thing.
Closed Thread