Lt. Commander
# 31
06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
1. There is no reference anywhere in the canon to the removal of the Commodore rank.
2. Starfleet is not an American fleet, so it need not follow the American rank structure.
3. Commodore has appeared in the original series, and so is canon.
4. Using Rear Admiral twice is somewhat ungainly and unappealing.
5. Rank titles are merely cosmetic. They do nothing to define abilities, so there's no reason not to allow Commodore AND Rear Admiral LH (I swear I can't understand why anyone would want to be named "Lower Half" of anything...).

I'd LOVE to see some way to STOP gaining skill points so I would stop leveling. I'm afraid to play half my characters because they'll blitz through the levels too fast. It's also why I can't play on any difficulty higher than Normal.

Anyhow, there's a couple of thoughts.
Lt. Commander
# 32
06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 910burns View Post
Reading the pattern, I would expect:

Rear Admiral, Levels: 41-50, MK IX-X (Mk X Drops from 46-50)

Vice Admiral, Levels: 51-55, MK XI (DROPS ONLY)
- NEW CRAFTING LEVEL (GOLD, adds [DMG] )
- NEW TIER 6 SHIPS

Admiral, Levels: 56-60. MK XII (DROPS ONLY)

Fleet Admiral, Levels: 61-TBD
- UNKNOWN

While this is speculation, I believe all the details for the above are already in the game.
Nothing Tier 6, you stay at Tier 5 until possibly Fleet Admiral, whatever Tier that is has yet to be determined.
Lt. Commander
# 33
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I still think that there should be the rank of Cadet (which comes before ensign) and Lt. Junior Grade before Lt and after ensign. I also think that their should be the ability to give yourself the tag of Commodore when you get to RA, You could have either Rear Admiral as your tag or Commodore.

Also.......OPEN UP STARFLEET ACADEMY AND STARFLEET COMMAND ON EARTH TO EXPLORE!!!!!!!!
Lt. Commander
# 34
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
come on guys for the love of STO PLEASE change the stupid Rear Admiral Lower Half to COMMODORE and Rear Admiral Upper Half to REAR ADMIRAL...klingon faction has cool names for their mid tier ranking, why not feds? And, if i'm not mistaken, i believe COMMODORE fits into canon from the original series, yes?

Is there anyone in the community that actually prefers the Upper/Lower half designation? it just looks and sounds and reads sooooooo lame!!!

other than that the structure is perfect!
Lt. Commander
# 35
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM
While it's likely simpler to just stick to U.S. miliitary rank system, that just doesn't, IMO, reflect the spirit of the overall I.P. I'm heartened by the number of fellow players who share this opinion.

For those who aren't familiar with this ongoing debate, the first time the rank of Commodore was used was in TOS, "The Doomdsday Machine". The rank in question was held by Matthew Decker. Commanding officer of the U.S.S. Constellation.

It should be noted that:
  • There was no indication as to why he held the rank. As it was never stated.
  • Decker commanded a starship equal to that of the Enterprise (Constellation).
  • He only commanded a single ship; with no indication either way that he could summon other starships.
  • There was no indication of a war or not; with the exception of the threat posed by the alien doomsday weapon. Yet Decker's rank still didn't allow him to counter Kirk's command authority over his own ship (Enterprise).

Was the rank continued beyond that single instance? Some say yes. Others say no. It's an old debate. From as far back as before the first Star Trek computer games. Yet there is no real evidence either way. It is the desire and the interests of the fans of the I.P. over the years who have continued to speculate. And now this speculation continues into STO.
Lt. Commander
# 36
06-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkthunder View Post
I concur with this statement. To become a Fleet Admiral, should require extensive experience and achievements, and should only be awarded quite rarely. I don't wanna see the Spacedock filled with a bunch of Fleet Admirals.
I also agree with this....plus...why has Cryptic completely ignored an actual rank such as LTJG?....That shows what they think of all the LTJGs out there in the Navy/Coast Guard. Like they don't exist. Shameful really.
Lt. Commander
# 37
06-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeymane
Can I oppose the rank of Fleet Admiral?

Seriously, you can easily expand RAL all the way to 50, and have RAU all the way from 51-60, followed by Admiral from 61-XX.

I've always been a bit miffed that Admiral (even RA) was such an easy rank to get to, but letting players get to fleet admiral...

Fleet Admiral shouldn't be a normal rank any play can just get by leveling up.
This is why you see the multitude of "TBD" around the Rank. While it's in the plan to determine a method of obtaining this rank, the path towards becoming a Fleet Admiral has not yet been determined. Having spoken with the designers, I can tell that they don't consider it "just another rank" - it's something special, but it's a long way off.

However, I would recommend starting up a Fleet Admiral suggestions thread in the Federation Gameplay section. While the development team won't be working on this for a while, it would allow everyone to formulate their suggestions so that when the developers did start working on it, they would have a large pool of ideas to pull from.
Lt. Commander
# 38
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
We already see a bunch of Admirals running around space dock...

SO, what difference does it make if we see a bunch of FLEET Admirals running around sapce dock?

Will the game feel any less realistic to you??

It falls into the same category of realism as seeing ppeople flying around in 150 y/o ships and wearing 150 y/o uniforms, as much as Rear Admirals strapping on armor packing big guns and jumping into a firefight
Lt. Commander
# 39
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
personally i would like to see 10 levels dedicated to each rank from O-1 to O-10+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_..._rank_insignia
Lt. Commander
# 40
06-29-2010, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMDestra
This is why you see the multitude of "TBD" around the Rank. While it's in the plan to determine a method of obtaining this rank, the path towards becoming a Fleet Admiral has not yet been determined. Having spoken with the designers, I can tell that they don't consider it "just another rank" - it's something special, but it's a long way off.

However, I would recommend starting up a Fleet Admiral suggestions thread in the Federation Gameplay section. While the development team won't be working on this for a while, it would allow everyone to formulate their suggestions so that when the developers did start working on it, they would have a large pool of ideas to pull from.
I would much rather just have rank disassociated from level, and be in it's own system.

Ideally, I'd like it based around Starfleet Merit or Klingon Honor, meaning you'd have to maintain a certain level of each to maintain whatever rank.

I'd change the equipment req's to skill level, but keep the ship rank requirements the same, except Captains and above can fly ships of all tiers (T5 ships and above will cost increasing amounts of merits however, so Captains may not be able to just hop in one as soon as they make rank). Additionally, change ship cost from energy credits to merits, with the higher ships costing more merits of course. This should provide some depth of play since you'll have to balance your merit level between training officers, getting new ships, and maintaining or progressing your rank. If you manage to drop below Captain level, your old T3 (and below) ships will come into use again instead of rotting in drydock.

EDIT: I also think there should be more things that you'd consider spending merit on besides tailoring officer skills, new ships, and renames (?!?), so that actually getting and maintaining an Admiral rank is something to achieve and work to keep up rather than just collecting enough points and being done with it.
Closed Thread