Lt. Commander
# 661
02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Meh. I've basically given up on asking for anything here. I've made comments and suggestions and asked questions a great many times to deafening silence. I'm tired of making an effort to help only to be resoundingly ignored.

We'll see what happens.
Lt. Commander
# 662
02-23-2011, 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Direphoenix View Post
I'd like to remind you guys that the submission thread for March's "Ask Cryptic" is up now, if you want to submit questions that may or may not involve separating ranks from skill level...
Already on it!

Here's my submission - post 439 in the thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander_Shepherd
What's the likelihood of us being able to choose which ranks we use for our characters (and thus appear in NPC dialogue and the HUD), rather than being 'forcibly' promoted as we level up? Not everyone wants their Captain to become a Rear/Vice Admiral - how easy would it be to add a wildcard to players' rank titles, so that rank is 'read' from them instead of a player's level?

Certainly, it'd add the same freedom to rank that STO currently allows for things like uniform choices and ship configuration, which I'm sure would be welcomed by a lot of people! To quote Captain Kirk (former Admiral, demoted, no less!): "Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference."

(...ok, becoming an Admiral in STO doesn't take you off the bridge. But that's not the point! )

< ...also, by 'tweaking' ranks in this way, it'd be the perfect way of correcting the way NPCs address characters in full, which is a bit odd - for example, a Rear Admiral would just be 'Admiral', not 'Rear Admiral, Upper Half', which is a bit of a mouthful! >

Granted, it's just the bare outline (no mention of things like Commodore as an option), but I figure it gets the point across - I figure if it gets adopted in-game, adding more options to the system is simple enough. Also, I thought I'd colour the important text, just so it stands out (that, and so the extraneous bit at the bottom can be easily ignored or edited out, should it get used!).

If there's anything people think I could do to make it read better, please say - anything to improve the chances of getting a solution to the rank issue is only a good thing, IMO.

@Mojo - I know what you mean, but I figure if enough of us post questions on this same topic, it should ideally get the message across that this is something lots of people want, and that it merits attention.

@KiraYamato - on that note, great! If everyone who wants an improvement made to the rank system posts about it, it's more likely to get fixed, so it's all good!

(btw, regarding your first question, I'm pretty certain that Saturday's Featured Episode reward is going to be one of a choice of melee weapons, most likely lirpa, mek'leth, sword, ushaan and maybe some others... )
Lt. Commander
# 663
02-24-2011, 07:05 AM
edit, snip
Lt. Commander
# 664 Why?
02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
I haven't read all the posts before, but why are the future ranks only five grades a rank?

Rename the Rear Admiral lower half to Commodore or keep the name, but make it ten grades.

Degrade us alle from Vice Admiral Grade 1 to Rear Admiral upper half Grade 1.

There are ten grades left to Vice Admiral, another ten to Admiral, an if you already need the fleet admiral you have another ten grades to that.
Lt. Commander
# 665
02-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandor View Post
I haven't read all the posts before, but why are the future ranks only five grades a rank?

Rename the Rear Admiral lower half to Commodore or keep the name, but make it ten grades.

There are ten grades left to Vice Admiral, another ten to Admiral, an if you already need the fleet admiral you have another ten grades to that.
Because it would mean creating twice as much content and they dont want to/cant do that
Lt. Commander
# 666
02-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandor View Post

I like this idea. That way we get more time wearing different pips (if we choose to and not just remain captains) and there are more levels before hitting the cap and having to make new ranks/names/pips.
Lt. Commander
# 667
03-03-2011, 02:46 PM
Anyone else notice how they didn't answer any questions about the separation of rank and skill level in the March Ask Cryptic?
Lt. Commander
# 668
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Anyone else notice how they didn't answer any questions about the separation of rank and skill level in the March Ask Cryptic?
Yep.

It's getting a bit disappointing, really - I honestly think that this might be the single issue that could make this game unplayable, IMO...

...and no, that's not just 'whining' - I literally mean 'unplayable'! For people who feel our characters shouldn't have to be Admirals if we don't want, not only are we restricted from so much great content, from the higher-end ships to STFs and the like, but it means that, as we level up without spending points to improve our skills, enemies level up to match and mission rewards are granted to suit our level... ...thus making them unusable, since they're bound to rank.

It's particularly annoying when you consider that this is a 'pay-to-play' game - I'm happy to pay a subscription, but not so much when the only way to enjoy one aspect of it is to completely ruin another.
Lt. Commander
# 669
03-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Quote:
I noticed.

Anyone up for just spamming DStahl's inbox full of questions on the issue? I'm beginning to think that's the only way we're going to get an answer.
Lt. Commander
# 670
03-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
I noticed.

Anyone up for just spamming DStahl's inbox full of questions on the issue? I'm beginning to think that's the only way we're going to get an answer.
Of course, if DStahl were to post a reply here with the official stance on this issue, we wouldn't have to spam his inbox... *evil grin*
Closed Thread