Lt. Commander
# 771
04-12-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gornman47
Star Trek: the Return-written by William Shatner and Judith&Garfield Reeves-Stevens. The prequel to this is Ashes of Eden. Books after the Return are; Avenger, Spectre, Dark Victory, and Preserver. There are others and I highly recommend these books to anyone who loves TOS and TNG.
thank you. ill look into them.
Lt. Commander
# 772
04-12-2011, 04:35 PM
The point of all this is that the two timelines DO NOT interact, except at the point of divergence.[/quote]

they has to be a point of interation, otherwise, they would never speak about Nero, or spock in the introduction... just saying any clearification would be quite cool in that recall.
Lt. Commander
# 773
04-12-2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmera
there has to be a point of interation, otherwise, they would never speak about Nero, or spock in the introduction... just saying any clearification would be quite cool in that recall.
Spock and Nero disappeared from the Prime Timeline in 2387, when they were sucked into the artificial black hole in the Hobus System. The ONLY point of interaction between it and the JJTrek Timeline is the divergence point, where Nero arrives in 2233 and the Kelvin gets destroyed. After that point, the two timelines are completely separate.

STO takes place in the Prime Timeline, so as far as our characters are concerned, Spock disappeared 22 years ago and was never heard from again. (I know he was transported to the past, but everyone in the Prime Timeline [including our characters] don't know that)
Lt. Commander
# 774
04-12-2011, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gornman47
Star Trek: the Return-written by William Shatner and Judith&Garfield Reeves-Stevens. The prequel to this is Ashes of Eden. Books after the Return are; Avenger, Spectre, Dark Victory, and Preserver. There are others and I highly recommend these books to anyone who loves TOS and TNG.
Agreed. They are a wonderful set of books. I especially like Shatner's take on what occured in the Mirror Universe after the episode "Mirror, Mirror."
Lt. Commander
# 775
04-12-2011, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamato
Spock and Nero disappeared from the Prime Timeline in 2387, when they were sucked into the artificial black hole in the Hobus System. The ONLY point of interaction between it and the JJTrek Timeline is the divergence point, where Nero arrives in 2233 and the Kelvin gets destroyed. After that point, the two timelines are completely separate.
Actually, the point that Nero arrives after disappearing through the Hobus event is not only 2233, but 2233 in an alternate universe. The universe where (our) Nero and Spock arrived was already divergent (although mostly parallel) from the Prime Star Trek timeline (which gave Orci and Abrams more freedom in creating a background more fitting to their own vision), their arrival just made it more divergent.
Lt. Commander
# 776
04-12-2011, 06:37 PM
As far as the PRIME universe is concerned, Spock and Nero vanished during the destruction of Romulus. They have no further effect on the existing timeline.

All their subsequent actions take place in an alternate timeline that does not interact with the prime timeline.

[Edit]

Now, this is not to say the timelines can never again interact. The Mirror Universe is really just another alternate timeline. There's interaction there, so it's logical to conclude the JJ Timeline can interact at some point too (and it pains me to no end to even say it - but I have to be objective here...).
Lt. Commander
# 777
04-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
As far as the PRIME universe is concerned, Spock and Nero vanished during the destruction of Romulus. They have no further effect on the existing timeline.

All their subsequent actions take place in an alternate timeline that does not interact with the prime timeline.

[Edit]

Now, this is not to say the timelines can never again interact. The Mirror Universe is really just another alternate timeline. There's interaction there, so it's logical to conclude the JJ Timeline can interact at some point too (and it pains me to no end to even say it - but I have to be objective here...).
pains you... they likely will, i heard a certain rumor that they have intentions on creating a new star trek series based off the movie... i liked the movie and all, but it changes everything. like kirk becomes captain just because his father was a captain.

and... i dont think kirk was a rebel before the academy...
Lt. Commander
# 778
04-13-2011, 05:42 AM
Quote:
and if your going to show anything read the STO timeline on how it relates to the movie.

btw, kirk was killed in the nexus. nice try thou.
I did, and I said nothing about Kirk not being killed. The point was that the STO timeline is the prime timeline, not the alternate created by Spock and Nero. I'm not really sure how much clearer it can be than the statement:

Star Trek Online is set in the "prime" Star Trek reality. This is the timeline of the five television series and the first 10 movies. It is the world in which the Gorn attacked Cestus III, Kirk fought Khan in the Mutara Nebula, Picard explored the galaxy, the Federation fought the Dominion War, Voyager was stranded in the Delta Quadrant and Captain Archer and the crew of the NX-01 showed us how it all began.

Though, now that I reread your post, I think we may be arguing the same point here. It's difficult to tell, given the unusual sentence structure and ... creative ... punctuation.
Lt. Commander
# 779
04-13-2011, 06:08 AM
Quote:
they has to be a point of interation, otherwise, they would never speak about Nero, or spock in the introduction... just saying any clearification would be quite cool in that recall.
In order to be absolutely consistant, then yes, that would be true. However, other than the point of Spock and Nero's departure from the prime timeline in 2387, Nero's arrival in (and possible creation of) the divergent timeline in 2233, and Spock's arrival in the same timeline some 20 years later, there is no explicit interaction. In fact, there is every indication that they are entirely separate and distinct between 2233 and 2387.

It is possible that, between 2387 and the present date of STO (2409 or 2410 -- hard to say whether they've officially advanced the year) things are a little less clear. My inclination is to chalk up the Spock/Nimoy voice-overs and mentions of Nero as logical or continuity errors, or creative license on the part of the STO designers and leave it at that unless further, more conclusive, indications of overlap are revealed.
Lt. Commander
# 780
04-14-2011, 11:50 PM
How does this have to do with Character Ranks?
Closed Thread