Lt. Commander
# 31
03-16-2009, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moryan Sorg
Cryptic seems to be trying to give each individual player a whole episode feel, and not just from the perspective of one of the crew members. I really like that approach.
I agree on this point, and is one reason I disagree with having player crews. Realistically most people would rather be on their own ship instead of someone else's...the latter would be rare at best. The "Star Trek experience" isn't about PC crew interaction, it's about morality and adventure.
Lt. Commander
# 32
03-16-2009, 02:13 PM
It's great to see the process that they went through before coming to what is being planned now. Another point on player operated crews, you'd have to have EVERYONE online to have a combat ready ship. Not too fun when your chief engineer takes a beach vacation.

Good read, looking forward to more articles like this in the future!
Lt. Commander
# 33 playing star trek online
03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
plaese can any one you is abilule down lound
I want to know how to downloud mmmorpgw

I will want you my crew
Lt. Commander
# 34
03-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Hi my name is vampirefiredragon. I want to how to get on star trek online game.
Lt. Commander
# 35
03-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vampirefiredragon View Post
Hi my name is vampirefiredragon. I want to how to get on star trek online game.
It's not out yet. probably not till the end of this year at least.
Lt. Commander
# 36
03-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moryan Sorg
Ok, I totally agree with this. I think that as the captain I should be able to step in and do the job of my NPC crew if I so choose. This could be managed from an NPC window on the UI.

At release there could be just a few graphics and things that a captain could do/cpmmand. Like others have stated, they can gradually release other tasks/interiors until eventually they build up enough content that you could actually have Guest NPCs and full ship interiors. I find this approach very reasonable.
The issue is that when your 'pets' are doing it, the content requirements are completely different than if you or a friend did that same function.

For example, when your weapons Officer targets the enemy ship -- the Pet is not moving the cross hairs over the target, and then performing tasks to lock the target, etc -- it is simply performing all the functions in computer code. They would have to create the content that 'you' would perform in that same task.
Lt. Commander
# 37
03-16-2009, 03:32 PM
It is just as well as there not be Player Crew in the meantime.

From having to invest more on Starship interiors, to not having to worry about being chained to your workstation let alone get bored of looking for little lifesigns, etc.

Some things are best to wait for. I for one can wait until later for these things to come polished and ready without having to delay the game's launch for it.

It'll be interesting to hear what Player Captains say about their time as members of someone else's ship.

'My ship's in spacedock for repairs.'
'The Borg assimilated my ship, so while I'm waiting for a new ship, I asked for a transfer.'
'I was publicly demoted so I could join this crew while another takes my ship into the Gamma Quadrant.'
Lt. Commander
# 38
03-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I think narrowing down ST to its essence (Discovery, Adventure, Drama) is something that the devs are getting and working on accordingly. Im also glad that "bridge/ship" sets are being held off until they're working properly, as the same with "player" crews. I dont see a big issue with them, but lets be honest, noone wants to play a "transporter chief" minigame all day where you sit at a console and play with a slider and wishing "Gee, I wish I could go down to the planet and partake in the fun too"
Lt. Commander
# 39
03-16-2009, 04:11 PM
some times, team work sucks.it goes to the saying " too many chiefs and not enough indians" . guilds would be good for player crews those who play together all day everyday at the same time but for most thats not possible. remember there are going to be storyline tours of duty that you will have to complete to advance and you may not beable to do it at the same time other players even your freinda may do them without you and continue to advance while you have to wait till you get home from work or school to play.the npc crew will compensate. as for me i hate to be told what to do by some frakken indiavidual with a blotted image of themselves as a captain f that. give me an npc crew a cool group of captains who will laugh when they get destroyed as well as laugh at you when you get destroyed and i am set
Lt. Commander
# 40 On Board Uss Enterprise
03-16-2009, 05:21 PM
I dont know spock what do u think ? Well jim i just hope they give us a date for release soon. What about u bones . Dammit jim im just a doctor ! Well scotty ? Captain im doing all i can but we gonna need a release date soon i dont know how much more she can take !!!!!!!!!