Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
Let me preface this by saying STO is my FAVORITE MMORPG. I'm a Lifer, and I've supported (and will continue to support) Cryptic through the C-Store. I don't really play any other MMORPG's right now. But like others I am disturbed at the lack of end-game content. I roleplay, so that mitigates it a lot because I and many of my Fleet always are meeting up or doing missions in a roleplay style. It adds a lot to the game and is a hell of a lot of fun. But not everyone roleplays and not everyone can find things to occupy themselves with when they really want to go raiding.

Cryptic. Set aside some people to work specifically on end game raiding, please. The game has been out for 4+ months now and we have a mere THREE end-game missions. The Cure, Infected, and the Terrordrome. Three end-game raids get boring for Raiders. If you have to, look to WoW for insipration. They have tons and TONS of end-game raids and continue to release them at a steady pace. You simply can't get bored (well I guess you could, technically) with the amount of end-game content they have and randomly generated loot that keeps people coming back for more.

You guys have 3 Task Forces that give you points to buy special guns. After you've raided a ton of times and got enough points, you simply buy your uber weapons and are done. But how often can you raid the same 3 missions?

You need to start releasing end game content at a STEADY RATE. I know you guys read these threads and I hope I can get a reply on this. We need end game content.
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-30-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
I know you guys read these threads and I hope I can get a reply on this. We need end game content.
If you say so. Not the impression of many others but fair enough. Also you aren't likely to get an answer except from smug types like me or the ill informed on here.
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-30-2010, 10:38 AM
This game, and no cryptic made games, have ever been designed to be like World of ********. The most obvious example is end-game raiding. World of ******** was designed around a tiered system of end-game raids.

City of Heroes, Champions Online and Star Trek Online are not designed that way. Play the game, have fun. But don't let yourself get frustrated trying to force into a design concept that the game was never made to be.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-30-2010, 10:41 AM
Well I grant you they do, and alot of their development has focused on increasing end game. But bear this fact in mind. WoW opened its doors in Nov 2004....which is a few years ago. They have had a bit of time to add content and I do recall horror stories from the early days of Wow. Patience is advised, but tempered with a desire they get it 'right' and not move from one catastrophe to another just to try and make some of the people happy some of the time.
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-30-2010, 10:46 AM
WoW had virtually diddly for an end game when it first released.

The reason they have so much end game content now is that they have millions of subscribers. You can hire a lot of developers with that much cash flying around.
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Well I grant you they do, and alot of their development has focused on increasing end game. But bear this fact in mind. WoW opened its doors in Nov 2004....which is a few years ago. They have had a bit of time to add content and I do recall horror stories from the early days of Wow. Patience is advised, but tempered with a desire they get it 'right' and not move from one catastrophe to another just to try and make some of the people happy some of the time.
CIty of Heroes opened its doors prior to WoW. And yet never once created anything like Blackwing Lair.

Cryptic doesn't make end-game raid centric fantasy themed MMORPGs.

They never have.

There will be content added. For sure. By the time this game is six years old, it will have content.

But it won't be the content the OP wants.
Lt. Commander
# 7
06-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Actually, I've always badmouthed WoW because I felt it stunk and was way too grindy for me.
Lt. Commander
# 8
06-30-2010, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
But it won't be the content the OP wants.
Probably not, but I guess that also begs the question, which I am sure is in a dozen other posts that I don't feel like trying to read in order to find the consensus of:

What do YOU want as far as content goes, and why do you think it will better the game if this vision is used.
Lt. Commander
# 9
06-30-2010, 10:55 AM
WoW is like Mos Isley spaceport... you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Lt. Commander
# 10
06-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
This game, and no cryptic made games, have ever been designed to be like World of ********. The most obvious example is end-game raiding. World of ******** was designed around a tiered system of end-game raids.

City of Heroes, Champions Online and Star Trek Online are not designed that way. Play the game, have fun. But don't let yourself get frustrated trying to force into a design concept that the game was never made to be.
I do not believe the OP is trying to force anything onto Cryptic the only thing he suggested is look at how one game did see if their is anything about it that they think would make STO better and implement it. I do not understand why every time somebody makes a comparison to WoW ( which is one of the most successful MMORPG of all time) people get all bent out of shape.

Now I agree I do not want to see STO become a WoW clone, but their are allot of things that Cryptic can learn from more successful MMORPGs. For the exception of City of Heroes Cryptic has not had a single successful MMORPG. STO is still in its early stage so I would not call it dead yet. I do see allot of potential to it, but if they want to retain players they are going to have to give us something to do when we reach endgame. I personally believe they need to look at more social content( since socializing is one of the primary reasons people play a MMORPG), and make the classes more distinct to enhance Role Playing and a reason for players to create new character.
Closed Thread