Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Closed Thread

Lt. Commander
# 11
06-30-2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
CIty of Heroes opened its doors prior to WoW. And yet never once created anything like Blackwing Lair.

Cryptic doesn't make end-game raid centric fantasy themed MMORPGs.
Thank Q Cryptic doesn't do this. What is end game raiding anyways but tanks, healers, and dps pushing the same button sequences on a big end game boss. Sure, the strategy to take out that boss will vary, but you're still a tank, a dps, or a healer, and you need all three roles to survive.

Same basic premise, just different looking dungeons and different boss models. Raid x instance, get tier x gear. You need x gear to raid x+1 instance, and get tier x+1 gear from there. Then you need x+1 gear to raid x+2 instance, and get tier x+2 gear from there.

The above model is INSANELY linear and boring.
Lt. Commander
# 12
06-30-2010, 12:07 PM
shouldn't that be 'wow has tons of endgame content if you like that sort of thing'

personally i hope they move in another directions than raids
Lt. Commander
# 13
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
What the game needs is more cowbell...er, I mean content...PERIOD. It doesn't even have to be end-game raids. I'm still miffed that the Klingons are only going to get EIGHT episodes when Season Two rolls out...that's eight spread over two ranks with a huge gap in the middle.
Lt. Commander
# 14
06-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
Thank Q Cryptic doesn't do this. What is end game raiding anyways but tanks, healers, and dps pushing the same button sequences on a big end game boss. Sure, the strategy to take out that boss will vary, but you're still a tank, a dps, or a healer, and you need all three roles to survive.

Same basic premise, just different looking dungeons and different boss models. Raid x instance, get tier x gear. You need x gear to raid x+1 instance, and get tier x+1 gear from there. Then you need x+1 gear to raid x+2 instance, and get tier x+2 gear from there.

STO, I suppose, is INSANELY non-linear and exciting, no?
Lt. Commander
# 15
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post

Its ridiculously gear-centric.
Lt. Commander
# 16
06-30-2010, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardoxx View Post
STO, I suppose, is INSANELY non-linear and exciting, no?
Let's compare WoW vs. CoH. I have tons of fun in CoH, which is just as mature as WoW now. Story arc replay? Badge hunting? The ability to go to ANY strike force or trial and have no gear requirement game mechanic? A mission architect to design my own episodes? The rewards from these are all relevant and contribute to my character's development? Don't need to defeat X boss for Y drop?

I see the potential in STO, the same potential that CoH has.
Lt. Commander
# 17
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
I have never played WoW. I always thought it was too cheesy for a fantasy game.
Lt. Commander
# 18
06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Quote:
People badmouth WOW, but at least WOW has TONS of end game content.
And it took from launch until now, with two full expansions and a bunch of junk released here and there, in order to get that much content.

Give STO the same amount of time, and it wouldn't surprise me if they surpass WoW in content. If Marketing would stop upsetting their existing customers, that is...
Lt. Commander
# 19
06-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes, wow does have a LOT of content. More than I could hope to finish in a reasonable amount of time. But I think capt quirk said the key thing there. It took more than 5 years or so, with 2 full expansions (another on the way) and content patches.

WOW in my opinion is not a bad game. Parts of it are fun especially when you run with a cool guild or group of friends. However.. the game just didnt get all its content over night. It took years.
Lt. Commander
# 20
06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgoth2000 View Post
Yes, wow does have a LOT of content. More than I could hope to finish in a reasonable amount of time. But I think capt quirk said the key thing there. It took more than 5 years or so, with 2 full expansions (another on the way) and content patches.

WOW in my opinion is not a bad game. Parts of it are fun especially when you run with a cool guild or group of friends. However.. the game just didnt get all its content over night. It took years.
Yeah. People forget that WoW is a mature game by MMO standards.
Closed Thread