Lt. Commander
# 1 Up and Down?
06-30-2010, 03:40 PM
Does anyone know if at any point we might get the ability to point straight up and straight down? Also does anyone know why we cant point straight up or down?
Lt. Commander
# 2
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
This is probably due to CBS IP licensing... In any of the TV series, or the Movies, did you ever see a working functional Starship 'Upside Down' in relation to another space vessel???
Lt. Commander
# 3
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
yes in Enterprise. think it was an episode where someone had to get to the NX-01 from another ship, think it was the NX-02. i remember there was a big deal about it.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Divergence_(episode)

besides they also have artificial gravity and inertial dampners so it wouldnt matter how you were, either upside down or right side up. as long as the gravity never changed you couldnt tell.
Lt. Commander
# 4
06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
There was an episode in TGN where the three timeline Enterprises met in a nebula in the the Neutral Zone. Riker drove one of the Enterprises vertical and attacked Klingon forces from below as he flew straight up thru the fight. I also seem to recall an episode where two ships flew inverted to eachother to share shielding.

I might understand some game engine issues that could prevent such freedom of flight, but I think it's more of an ascetic issue for Cryptic.

Personally, Id like to see it. There is no up or down in space. Its all relative to your point of reference (be it planer orbits of a system or whatnot). Up near Earth is certainly not the same up as the Klingon homeworld. "Up" on my ship need not be the same "up" on your ship.

In any event, joystick support is nearing completion. That would be the ideal time to make auto-leveling and "option" and open up true 3-D flight.

See the thread below for some good discussion on the topic:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=163539
Lt. Commander
# 5
06-30-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon002 View Post
yes in Enterprise. think it was an episode where someone had to get to the NX-01 from another ship, think it was the NX-02. i remember there was a big deal about it.

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Divergence_(episode)

besides they also have artificial gravity and inertial dampners so it wouldnt matter how you were, either upside down or right side up. as long as the gravity never changed you couldnt tell.
And Space ships, as well as explosions can't make sound in the vacuum of space, but this happens all the time in Star Trek. This is Science Fiction, not Science....
Lt. Commander
# 6
06-30-2010, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
And Space ships, as well as explosions can't make sound in the vacuum of space, but this happens all the time in Star Trek. This is Science Fiction, not Science....
you mean in space, no one can hear me scream?!?! whaaaaaaaa

i get all that, but it's still space. theres no gravity, theres no resistance so you should be free to move around in any direction.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyon002 View Post
you mean in space, no one can hear me scream?!?! whaaaaaaaa

i get all that, but it's still space. theres no gravity, theres no resistance so you should be free to move around in any direction.
yes with space there is nothing stoping you from goin in any direction with minimal force, you will keep goin till something pushes with equal or greater force or you hit somthing and stop dead lol, thats why its space and there is nothing between you and where you want go so any flight path is 100% can be done
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku
Adding sound in space adds ambiance, it doesn't affect game play. The lack of 3d movement freedom in space on the other hand, is very much a game play issue.

Regardless of what side of the issue you happen to be on, that was a very poor comparison.