Lt. Commander
# 1 Star Trek Franchise
07-01-2010, 04:38 AM
Id just thought id throw this out there. There have been tons of people wanting a new star trek series, but for various reasons it's not going to happen any time soon. Let me explain.

Star Trek believe it or not is split right down the middle between Paramount and CBS.

Paramount (viacom) holds the rights to making new Trek movies without the go ahead from CBS. And CBS hold the rights to any new or future planned Star Trek series.

Many people wondered why CBS had suddenly aquired Star Trek.

CBS created Viacom as a syndication company and spun it off into a stand alone tv show distribution outfit.

A few years later, Viacom's a powerhouse and ate it's parent CBS.

But Paramount had some winning programs of it's own, STTNG, STDS9, Arsenio Hall, Entertainment Tonight, etc...

Now Viacom buys Paramount which puts Star Trek with CBS.

Next Viacom splits in two. (undoing the merger with CBS) And UPN (network) goes to CBS (network). 2005. In 2006, UPN and the theWB partner to create 'theCW'.

The left over Viacom is renamed CBS and holds 1/2 of 'theCW' and "CBS Paramount (Network) Television Distribution" (U.S. distribution) , "CBS Television Distribution" (international) & "CBS Studios International". (among many other operations)

The new spinoff Viacom owns (among other things) Paramount Studios, Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment. Viacom also owns (through Paramount Studios) Dreamworks SKG (live action only) .

So the new Viacom owns Paramount and the Star Trek Movies, while CBS owns the TV shows. However-Paramount Home Entertain. distributes Paramount movies through CBSdvd.

And thats how CBS ended up with the Trek tv shows and any future trek show. But it has to be remembered that CBS has no say in the movie side of the franchise and that why we had a new Trek Movie. If it would have been left upto CBS there wouldn't have been any movies as per Les Moonves statement right after the cancellation of Enterprise, its a sad but true fact that it was CBS who canned Enterprise and not Paramount. Some say that Paramount wanted to give the show another season or two, to prove to CBS that Trek was worth the expense. It's also no coincidence that the show was sitting firmly in the 3 million bracket in it's 4th season bettering Stargate Atlantis and SG-1 on Sci Fi.

It most definitely is not looking rosey for any future trek series while CBS keep the rights to the shows and the worst part is no one can do a single thing about it unless Les Moonves moves on.

I do not not subscribe to the theory that Trek had franchise fatigue. The problem it had, was Berman was not prepared to bring in new Writers or even entertain new ideas. He thought that if he had got it right with TNG ( collaboration with Gene Roddenberry might I had who had a huge say on it's creation) then he sure as heck would get it right every single time with same crew of writers. DS9 was the last bow of decent Trek. Some loved it, some hated it, but the writing was epic. Voyager came along and tried to usurp the TNG, and it got left with egg on it's face. Don;t get me wrong i love Voyager but in the beginning I couldnt get into it, it was only during the 5th season that I decided to give it another go. But if Voyager was the down turn it was also the undoing of the Borg and what they ment. They had gone from being scary and to be feared to the whipping aliens of the week who just managed to get a good hiding from Janeway...yeah right.

The we came to Enterprise, then later when the show wasn't working rebranded to Star Trek Enterprise. What Berman could not grasp was why his show failed in so many ways. It was not the show that failed it was the same old tired and terribly boring writing staff who had got so long in the tooth they had got to the point of beginning to destroy the foundation of what they had helped create with the TNG. and what can I say about the last episode of Enterprise? Berman said it himself. It had been cancelled and I wanted people to remember it. The entire episode was an absolute kick in the crotch to guys and gals of Enterprise it was their show and to TNG and Frakes and Sirtis..it was all on the holodeck pfft.

Anyways so there you have it. Franchise fatigue in this sense means Moonves needed to give some excuse to cancel the show...and to ensure there wouldn't be another one after it while he was in office.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-01-2010, 04:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvantos View Post
Anyways so there you have it. Franchise fatigue in this sense means Moonves needed to give some excuse to cancel the show...and to ensure there wouldn't be another one after it while he was in office.
*claps*

Bravo!

Though a new TV series wouldn't go amiss. Especially a well written one.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-01-2010, 04:42 AM
i want a new series, but i dont want burman or anyone that had anything to do with voyager writing or producing it ; )i want startrek to go back to the way roddenbery meant it to be
stop dumbing it down to attract the 10-17 year old market and have real storys that teach you abbout life,science and philosophy,thats what made startrek so big in the firstplace
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
i want a new series, but i dont want burman or anyone that had anything to do with voyager writing or producing it ; )i want startrek to go back to the way roddenbery meant it to be
stop dumbing it down to attract the 10-17 year old market and have real storys that teach you abbout life,science and philosophy,thats what made startrek so big in the firstplace

I think we have been craving that since TNG and DS9. Your statement embodies the reason why Star Trek took a huge nose dive from Voyager onwards.And it also has a resonating effect on most people who feel the exact same way.. It was as if Berman was on a personal self distruct mission to see how much damage he could do while ignoring the fans. It's a real shame Gene Roddenberry entrusted his legacy to Berman who he thought he could trust to keep his dream alive on the tv and movie theatres. How misplaced his trust was of one of the most hated people in Trek history .

Here is some fun trivia. Berman instead of bringing new writing staff in for Star Trek Voyager took to letting people send in unsolicited scripts from season 4,,no more so was this evident during the 4th and 5th season of Voyager. Lolita Fatjo was the scripts supervisor and it was to her you would send your scripts in. At the start of season 6 they stopped accepting scripts from the public.

There are so many ways forward for the tv franchise but and until Moonves gives in to fan pressure or leaves office at CBS we aren't going to get a thing.

For some reason my comment about what Moonves said above was removed 0.o. He hates sci fi in particular Star Trek. Which is the most dissapointing aspect of it all. It was a shame paramount at the time could not have sold it off to a 3rd party.

Oh by the way Berman and Braga and all of his staff are no longer at Paramount so you don't need to worry about them footing any Trek writing.paramount cleared house when the changes above happened.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2010, 05:03 AM
i still dream of a klingon series..lol but wil never happen
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2010, 05:05 AM
i liked season 4 of ENT when manny cotto turned up but berman and braga had lost the plot.

the temporal cold was still haunts me today. they had such a great idea there and ruined it by never planning it out. they never knew who future guy was, they just threw in the nazi aliens at the send of season 3 with no planning. it was a mess. if they had just planned it out a little more it could have worked. also the characters where so dull. i never cared about any of them the way i cared about the ds9 or tng crew

Even though many hate the new star trek film, i love it. it took me back to when star trek was fun.

what ever the political situation of star trek for tv, i hope to see a new star trek tv show some time. sci-fi is crying out for a real flagship show
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2010, 05:08 AM
enterprise was the best trek since tng i think, just had one really stupid season was all
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
Enterprise was the best trek since TNG i think, just had three really stupid seasons was all
Fixed that up for you, it had one full seasons of good episodes, a lot of filler and total crap.

I have no idea why they thought the temporal cold war was a good idea for the founding of the federation.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-01-2010, 05:23 AM
I am absolutely with you about Manny Coto he so desperatly wanted to stay on and keep Enterprise going. I am sure at one time or another i went to some forums he frequented and he had said something along the lines of he wanted to make changes in particular to the writing of the crew, but Berman wouldn't let him. It had to go Berman's way or else, so Manny was caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place, he was damned if he did and even more damned if he didn't...so he set to work on explaining the klingons and doctor noonian singh ie making data and lore etc. He brought the show out of the depths of being particularly hated to something really worth watching, but like I said he was told he couldn't change anything with the enterprise characters they where off limits. And then Berman again went over his head with the final 2 episodes with more emphasis on the last episode. Despite that Enterprise during it's last season was streets ahead of Atlantis and SG-1 in the demo's and ratings averaging 3.25 million viewers a week..on cable you would never cancel a show with those numbers..unless your sci fi channel lol and the fact UPN was not a cable channel.

The real issue was they'd made a real mess with Voyager the writing was on the wall for what was to come next...and the sad thing is, enterprise was the real runt of the litter until Manny turned up.

Yes id love to see a different perspective particularly from the Klingon perspective but id take any side even the cardassians..set during the dominion war or even a show set during the dominion war from the klingon perspective. There be some great stories to be written for a most honorable race.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-01-2010, 05:27 AM
the episode where tucker and the princes were escaping from those aliens,that episode impressed me
it definatly wasnt the kill the evil alien or the "we got to fix the timeline" crap id been seeing for years