Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Ship Registration Numbers
07-01-2010, 02:42 PM
This is completely arbitrary, but I was just curious as to whether or not there was a logical reason for why the devs designed the registration number system so that you can't customize a number below the 9000's. I suspect it has to do with preventing people from using RN's of actual cannon ships from the shows and expanded universe (which is just what I wanted to do.

Anyway, if you know or can confirm my suspicion it would be greatly appreciated.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
I believe that was because Paramount/CBS 'locked' all the lower numbers for them to have a playground of registries.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-01-2010, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverpimpin View Post
This is completely arbitrary, but I was just curious as to whether or not there was a logical reason for why the devs designed the registration number system so that you can't customize a number below the 9000's. I suspect it has to do with preventing people from using RN's of actual cannon ships from the shows and expanded universe (which is just what I wanted to do.

Anyway, if you know or can confirm my suspicion it would be greatly appreciated.
I don't have an answer to your question but I do hope they do answer you. I think the same way you are thinking, to prevent people using RNs from Canon ships... but that being said...

I wonder how simple or difficult it would be to make the same RN system so that it actually forces you to create a unique number in the STO universe as opposed to just an open system that allows duplicates. Same with ship names. Probably not worth the development effort in their eyes but it would be very cool to have that uniqueness.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
I believe that was because Paramount/CBS 'locked' all the lower numbers for them to have a playground of registries.
From what I've heard elsewhere, this is correct.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-01-2010, 03:01 PM
And of course Im sure its so we cant have a host of 1701 and 2000s Instead we have a bunch of 90000+ with multiple entries.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6 Z is for Zip code
07-01-2010, 03:27 PM
I use my zip code with the suffix ( -z ) and I don't think anyone has told me, "Hey are you from Mckinleyville, CA ? -- yet. LOL
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-01-2010, 03:30 PM
Because new ships in the 2380s were already half was through the 80000 block.........this is 20/30 years on from there, and when you consider that every single new ship starfleet constructs (from fighters, and runabouts to starships) has to have a new and unique registry number, it isn't hard to fathom cryptic have been landed the 90000 block for all our new shiny ships.........
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huze64 View Post
I use my zip code with the suffix ( -z ) and I don't think anyone has told me, "Hey are you from Mckinleyville, CA ? -- yet. LOL
Hey are you from Mckinleyville, CA ?

Just wanted to be the first
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
and here i was thinking we were suposecd to use our home phone number or social security number instead of zip code. makes sence for ships to be that high. voyager was 74656, and in the 30 or so years since her launch there was a war and massive fleet build up. 15000+ ships in a 30 year gap, thats only about 512 ships a year. between runabouts and cargo transports and shuttle crafts this is a pretty reasonable number
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-01-2010, 04:49 PM
well i thought shutte craft are tied into the mothership registry! so that a few less

:p
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25 PM.