Lt. Commander
Would you support the idea of an entire season aimed at making the game more cinematic?

Cut scenes, establishing shots, animated load screens, more voiceover, story-based mechanics, more engaging melee, improved camera, maybe Resident Evil-style "suspense missions" or Metal Gear style sneaking around, alone or in small groups, with cover and a detection meter. Anything designed to pull you into the story and the moment more.

I think we need too many other things at present, which I'm sure many of you would agree with me on. I think weekly missions will add a lot.

But maybe by around Season 5 or so, we could see an entire season designed to give the game and the engine a layer of cinematic polish, with every team working at that goal from a different POV.

What do you think?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-01-2010, 02:40 PM
i think the things you ask for are very much needed to polish this game further.
i dont think that a whole Season should be only about this.
A little bit of it every season should be fine (and more realistic).
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
yes i want all the stuff. i would love in an ideal world for the story eps to have more weight behind the narrative with cut scenes and voice overs. im not sure it will ever happen but even little bits here and there just for really important bits would be great
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I'd toss a little bit of this into each Season - rather than focus an entire Season on it.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I'd toss a little bit of this into each Season - rather than focus an entire Season on it.
Thing is, I think you may see the strongest implementation of this with everybody on the same page at once, tackling the idea from different sides.

That's why I'm curious how you'd feel about maybe having a season that is, say, 60-100% focused on making the storylines and presentation more involving.

S5 seems like a good time to me because that's when TOR comes out, roughly, and that gives us two more seasons worth of development on other things before that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
...Cut scenes, establishing shots, animated load screens, more voiceover, story-based mechanics, more engaging melee, improved camera, maybe Resident Evil-style "suspense missions" or Metal Gear style sneaking around, alone or in small groups, with cover and a detection meter...
Some of these, yes. Some no.

I haven't found an MMO that successfully integrated cutscenes. Establishing shots could work well, and DEFINITELY voiceovers. In essence, I don't support when the game 'takes over' for a few minutes and feeds me a story, but I greatly enjoy and support having more than just kill-kill-kill. Story-based mechanics would certainly work and have been proven in past MMOs.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkjedi View Post
Some of these, yes. Some no.

I haven't found an MMO that successfully integrated cutscenes. Establishing shots could work well, and DEFINITELY voiceovers. In essence, I don't support when the game 'takes over' for a few minutes and feeds me a story, but I greatly enjoy and support having more than just kill-kill-kill. Story-based mechanics would certainly work and have been proven in past MMOs.
I think TOR is going overboard on cut scenes.

However, I feel that Champions does them well and ********'s approach of doing around 2 cutscenes a year seems to work well and set the tone without dominating.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
I think TOR is going overboard on cut scenes.

However, I feel that Champions does them well and ********'s approach of doing around 2 cutscenes a year seems to work well and set the tone without dominating.
im sort of worried about Tor and how it will play when your in a team. single player is fine (which is more or less how i will play it) but what if one person in a team wants to skip the cut scene, or if one person wants to do one dialogue option and the other wants to do another.

could cause problems.

if sto does it then i agree keep it short and sweet, nothing that drags on longer than a few seconds, im not sure i would devote one season to it. so many threads of stop adding fluff would spring up, i dont think i could take it.

it would add some nice replay value to go back and see the story in a more vivid way
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Quote:
Thing is, I think you may see the strongest implementation of this with everybody on the same page at once, tackling the idea from different sides.

That's why I'm curious how you'd feel about maybe having a season that is, say, 60-100% focused on making the storylines and presentation more involving.

S5 seems like a good time to me because that's when TOR comes out, roughly, and that gives us two more seasons worth of development on other things before that.
I meant that you mention melee combat and ground in the same sentence as cinematic presentation.

Bundling melee and other ground improvements into an End-game focused Season (i.e. Season 3) would make more sense than bundling it with cinematic presentation, etc.

I think you're on the right track - just that I'd disagree with what items you have clumped together in the OP.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-01-2010, 03:13 PM
I agree, like others, that these features are sorely needed to polish the game, but I don't like a full season just for it. I doubt it will happen though.

Maybe if they had had another year to make the game ready for launch...