Lt. Commander
Could a miniature Genesis Device bring back any dead person, at least physically?

For that matter, do we know that neither Khan nor any of the augments caught in the Genesis explosion left enough DNA behind that it would have created resurrected augments on the Genesis planet? Is that maybe the point behind "Children of Khan" in STO? That some of the augments DID come back alongside Spock and that a race of them lives on the remains of the Genesis Planet? I'd assumed that was a metaphor and that we'd be dealing with new augments but it occurs to me that even a small amount of debris from the Reliant could have shielded enough tissue that their bodies would have reformed on the Genesis Planet.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Hard to say since the planet goes poof in Trek 3. One would think they'd have batted around that idea while making the movie as a plot device. If Spock was regenerated; why not Khan or his crew? But it wasn't used as a plot device.

My vote would have to be on some extreme stretches to the plot for it to work though. I'm going by the reasoning that we should only go by what we saw in the movies... which leads me to believe Spock is the only "reanimated" life form on the Genesis planet. And that since the planet blows up... there could be no other "survivors"... unless the story revolves around the planet re-forming after we last saw it. It would assume the rest of the quadrant turned a blind eye to it too after that.

"Hey? Where did this new planet come from? Wasn't Genesis destroyed according to Admiral Kirk?"

If we go that route. Then I could see a plausible quest which could bring back anyone that died in Trek 3 in some form for a possible quest line. It'd be a stretch though.

As for a mini-device? I think we're suppose to assume that all research is lost or at least not taken up again upon David's death.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I was curious since, as I understand it, the STF centers around chunks of the Genesis planet still supporting life and being inhabited in the 25th century.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Why not?

It would be fun, and interesting to boot
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I was curious since, as I understand it, the STF centers around chunks of the Genesis planet still supporting life and being inhabited in the 25th century.
I'm not very well versed in any EU Trek material. IE any books, comics, etc. Mostly just the series and the movies are what I go by. And that's only when I can remember said material. : )

I could very well be off on some of my assumptions. Just saying that from what I saw... it'd be hard to explain how "x" people went unnoticed in Trek 3 if they were there and, to boot, survived the planet exploding after that even if the chunks do support life. Most of the time in Trek if we've got things exploding... things get destroyed in the process on that scale no matter what.

Really, the trump card to make this a plausible quest hook is likely to be David's use of protomatter in the Genesis matrix though. With a plot device like that I guess you very well could use the explosion to generate matter left over in the matrix (Khan/his crew/people on the planet in Trek 3) to spin a yarn about survivors on one of the chunks.

I just find it a very hard sell myself... personal opinion though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticFringer View Post
I'm not very well versed in any EU Trek material. IE any books, comics, etc. Mostly just the series and the movies are what I go by. And that's only when I can remember said material. : )

I could very well be off on some of my assumptions. Just saying that from what I saw... it'd be hard to explain how "x" people went unnoticed in Trek 3 if they were there and, to boot, survived the planet exploding after that even if the chunks do support life. Most of the time in Trek if we've got things exploding... things get destroyed in the process on that scale no matter what.

Really, the trump card to make this a plausible quest hook is likely to be David's use of protomatter in the Genesis matrix though. With a plot device like that I guess you very well could use the explosion to generate matter left over in the matrix (Khan/his crew/people on the planet in Trek 3) to spin a yarn about survivors on one of the chunks.

I just find it a very hard sell myself... personal opinion though.
Keeping in mind, anyone generated from that debris would have no memories and wouldn't be Khan's augments but simply new humanoids who were brought to life from blood and tissue samples in the Reliant's wreckage.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Well, the other thing about this is that Spock's body was intact when it was sent to Genesis, and his coffin soft-landed.

Reliant went poof with the Genesis explosion, along with everyone inside. You usually don't come back from being vapourised or having large parts of your anatomy blown away from other significant parts of your anatomy (as I'd guess would happen when a starship goes boom in a planet-creating explosion).
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-02-2010, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Where did you hear that?

I thought "Children of Khan" would be about some Augments... though I only have my own assumption to go by.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-02-2010, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Could a miniature Genesis Device bring back any dead person, at least physically?
It's now standard equipment on all KDF and Starfleet ships. Check your crew meter
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-02-2010, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
It's now standard equipment on all KDF and Starfleet ships. Check your crew meter
Now see here... that new fangled technology maybe fine for YOUR ship... but on MY ship... we don't bring dead people back... we just make new ones... the OLD FASHIONED way

And while I'm thinking of it... I wonder if Zinc could get me some more bees for my birds, my crew is running a little low :p