Lt. Commander
# 1 Zinc is out? Uh-oh
07-01-2010, 09:00 PM
I just saw Zinc's Post about bailing on STO. I have been in the business world long enough that when an EP jumps ship, 1 of 3 things has happened.
1. He is burned out
2. He sees the writing on the wall for some calamity coming over the hills.
or 3. He has been asked to fall on his sword.

This is a new game that has failed to live up to the opening broadside. But to be honest I am now scared for the future of this game. I saw potential and still see more, but, again when the EP bails after 5 months, something is smelling funny in the head.

So what's the scoop Cryptic? As a paying customer I would like to know what the deal is.

And fellow Trek-ites. What's your take?

Lt. Commander
# 2
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
"We are here on the bridge, but it appears to be abandoned,..... all we hear is the computer ... and it appears to be talking."

"Let me hear it."

"5.....4......3"

"GET OUT... GET OUT OF THE......................*BOOM*"
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Aren't there enough of these threads?

Please post in one of them, and say something nice to Zinc.
Lt. Commander
# 4 A good point
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand_Altair
Aren't there enough of these threads?

Please post in one of them, and say something nice to Zinc.
Thank you Zinc, I do appreciate the hard work putting the game to market.

And as to other posts, perhaps there are others, but as I believe mine to be superior in quality, and frankly the questions I would like answered, a fresh post seemed reasonable.

I send my heartfelt dittos out for Zinc and his future, but it still doesn't mean that this is by it's very nature is a very dire portent for STO and it's future.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-01-2010, 09:26 PM
REPENT! The end is nye! The sky is falling!

Pffffttt... Dstahl will save the day.

See: Super-Dstahl
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-01-2010, 09:32 PM
We couldn't take Zinc at his word?

Game development is, from who I've met, a grueling process until a product launches (let a lone a product with as much post-launch support). Long, thankless hours to get immediately reviewed (for better or worse) within hours of launch.

A guy pulls long hauls on a game for 2.5 years (and with the company for 7). The immediate assumption is "trouble in the water."

The only trouble is in the kool-aid - which a lot of conspiracy threads seem to be drinking today.

dstahl's response to the very questions you pose:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
This speculation simply isn't true. Sometimes a person simply wants to try something new. With Craig's software knowledge, business insight, and recent love of the iPad, I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring some old games to the touch screen generation. He's at least mentioned converting MOO to iPad as a joke. Who knows... maybe he isn't joking

But in all seriousness, STO will continue on and in a very positive direction. The team is a well oiled development machine and we all work very closely together. The majority of us have been on the project from the beginning and still want to see all of the great ideas and features put into the game.

You're going to see some great things moving forward and I'm super excited about Cryptic's support for our game.

So for anyone thinking this is 'house cleaning' or some sort of bad sign - Craig was nothing but goodness for the game and his leaving was not a "forcing out" or anything like that.

Considering all the hours we've all put in on the game and the hectic schedule these last 2 years - I'm a little envious that he is taking a break and enjoying the summer.

He deserves this. It's his choice and I'm happy that he has the resources and time to do it.

But... I know... there will still be some that think he's an undine and that this is all Atari's fault
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
I have it on good authority that Zinc left after he found out how much the Galaxy-X would cost.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
We couldn't take Zinc at his word?
I wouldn't really take it as even being his word. I imagine something like this being said, at a meeting, to a secretary and a PR guy.

"Okay, we need to announce Zinc's.... leaving.... to the community in such a way that things don't get out of hand. I want you guys to draw up something fitting and then we'll shoot it to him to get a personal touch."

(Yes, that pretty much defines conspiracy theory. )
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evry1sLostButMe View Post
Thank you Zinc, I do appreciate the hard work putting the game to market.

And as to other posts, perhaps there are others, but as I believe mine to be superior in quality, and frankly the questions I would like answered, a fresh post seemed reasonable.

I send my heartfelt dittos out for Zinc and his future, but it still doesn't mean that this is by it's very nature is a very dire portent for STO and it's future.
Yours isn't, you asked the same question a lot of other people did. So obviously you didn't actually think that you just decided to post a fresh post instead of reading, and the question hasn't been answered anywhere yet. And frankly your post by its lonesome most likely won't be the place it's answered.

As to Zinc, after 7 years a break is well earned. I hope Daniel does a good job from here on out.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlyto View Post
I wouldn't really take it as even being his word. I imagine something like this being said, at a meeting, to a secretary and a PR guy.

"Okay, we need to announce Zinc's.... leaving.... to the community in such a way that things don't get out of hand. I want you guys to draw up something fitting and then we'll shoot it to him to get a personal touch."
They also said it with a mafia accent, and what he doesn't know is that he'll be cooling off this summer with the fishes.

Oh, I got another one, he traveled back in time to warn his younger self to abandon ship, and that only by doing so will be save planet earth from bad video games once and for all!

Oh, another one! He is really an alien and has to back to his home planet, Ferengar!

Seriously guys? Does it all HAVE to be dramatic and evil? The most likely scenario is that he wanted to leave, and only he knows the real reason. Everything else is just speculation, and my speculation is that it could be "for the best" for all parties involved. New leadership, new face, new direction, new drive, cheaper team, streamlined team, he gets what he wants, customers/dev team/execs have someone to blame if they want someone to blame, we all win.
Closed Thread