Lt. Commander
# 11 A good point also... but...
07-01-2010, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
We couldn't take Zinc at his word?

Game development is, from who I've met, a grueling process until a product launches (let a lone a product with as much post-launch support). Long, thankless hours to get immediately reviewed (for better or worse) within hours of launch.

A guy pulls long hauls on a game for 2.5 years (and with the company for 7). The immediate assumption is "trouble in the water."

The only trouble is in the kool-aid - which a lot of conspiracy threads seem to be drinking today.
I am always willing to take someone at thier word in the real world. Corporate worlds on the other hand have a totally seperate set of rules.

1. Never leave a successful project unless your stock options are up.
2. If a project is sinking, take your good name and run.

I know there is nothing more foaming at the mouth inducing than bringing up WoW, but face it, they are the 800lb gorillia in the room. A vast majority of thier Tier 10 people are still on the job 5+ years after launch. And quite frankly, STO by it's nature should be king of the hill with its Name Brand appeal, BUT, Gozer is out (Lead Mission Writer) and now Zinc, it's just sends up Great Warning Bells for those of us with business sense. Again, people don't deliberately leave success or a successful business model. (Unless something is coming down the pipe.)
I have alot invested in this game, a years subscription and years of pining away for something that could fulfil my childhood dreams of flying a Starship. But in the end, all I can see atm is SWG and the Combat patch coming. (If anyone remembers their history and every company should remember that MMORPG public relations disaster) This begs similar to that scenario. We just didn't understand why dev's were leaving before the patch. (Yes, that has jaded me to this day on MMO's)

Now, before you get your hackles up. I want to like STO, hell, I do. Very much. I think it can be better. And with a new crew perhaps it can. And I am pragmatic enough to know that this game is what it is. We can hope for better, pray to our favorite God and flame the boards all we want. But this game has delivered little of what was promised even a year ago and is shallow on the content pool. I see things getting better, slowly, but they are getting better. But here is hoping that with the leads pulling the ripcord and bailing this game isn't going to be sent to the stagnant pool by Atari.

Ok enough prattle, sorry, just some things I have been thinking about since I saw the post.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I think dstahl's post pretty much covered why the speculators (with no personal insight into the decision) were wrong.

I didn't mean to sound harsh: I just meant to express that there's a wealth of people who know Zinc and who contradict your OP.

Discounting all of those statements and even dstahl's clever acknowledgment that these types of threads would crop up is stretching the imagination at this point.

If there was a super-secret coup there's a greater chance there'd be a whistle-blower than massive conspiracy from virtually the entire team.

The people who know Zinc and know his reasons (which are probably closer to needing a break after long dev cycle) stand a greater probability of being true than a bunch of spectators like you or me.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-01-2010, 10:07 PM
* puts on tin foil hat *

IT'S all over DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it's a sinking ship. the rats are leaving.... were all doomed.

it's ok it's ok it's ok it's ok..... here drink this kool aid. * drops dead*

/tinfoil hat

now that we got the tin foil hats out of the way let me give you some facts.

Zinc has been working on Star Trek Online for nearly 2 and a half years. he has been working at cryptic for over 7 years. he has nearly killed himself with the late nights, and long hours away from his family over this game, and he has to deal with a community that treats him like crap. the mans is tired, he is turning gray, he has had a good long run with cryptic, and he wants a rest. leave the man alone.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-01-2010, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish

Zinc has been working on Star Trek Online for nearly 2 and a half years. he has been working at cryptic for over 7 years. he has nearly killed himself with the late nights, and long hours away from his family over this game, and he has to deal with a community that treats him like crap. the mans is tired, he is turning gray, he has had a good long run with cryptic, and he wants a rest. leave the man alone.
QFT, man, QFT.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-01-2010, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evry1sLostButMe View Post
I just saw Zinc's Post about bailing on STO. I have been in the business world long enough that when an EP jumps ship, 1 of 3 things has happened.
1. He is burned out
2. He sees the writing on the wall for some calamity coming over the hills.
or 3. He has been asked to fall on his sword.

This is a new game that has failed to live up to the opening broadside. But to be honest I am now scared for the future of this game. I saw potential and still see more, but, again when the EP bails after 5 months, something is smelling funny in the head.

So what's the scoop Cryptic? As a paying customer I would like to know what the deal is.

And fellow Trek-ites. What's your take?

My take? I'd have to take option 4 for $100, Alex. Zinc is moving on to something else. I do realize this flies in the face of the OP's post, but follows the facts more closely.

But... I'll play along. DOOM DOOM DOOM! The sky! It falls!
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evry1sLostButMe View Post
So what's the scoop Cryptic? As a paying customer I would like to know what the deal is.
LOL

This line of reasoning always makes me laugh. There are things you are entitled to as a paying customer. These would be getting the service you are currently paying for, having a product that functions as it should, etc. Then there are things that you are not, in any way, entitled to. Your question is a perfect example of one of those things.

Paying customer or not, Cryptic is in no way obligated, under any circumstances, to fill you in on why an employee (regardless of rank and station) left the company or to give you inside information on how well/poorly their current business strategy is going.

So...as a "paying customer", they don't have to let you know what the deal is at all. I would really think that somebody who had been in the business world as long as you have would know this.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-01-2010, 11:47 PM
If u would read and post in the original news thread, u wouldnt need to ask ur question, cause dozen of other ppl did that before you! Also you would read dstahls and zincs posts!

There is no need for this thread here...
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Look the truth is... zinc worked hard on this game, and he and his family are going on a relaxing cruise around the world in the yacht he bought with the C-store sale's profits.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-02-2010, 01:00 AM
Who cares? STO is what it is doesn't matter who's in charge now. Sure they can add missions, races, etc... but the pew pew flying in a little box isn't gonna change no matter what.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-02-2010, 04:56 AM
When someone signs out with this message:

'Iíve decided to take a break from Cryptic Studios for a bit and focus on other things, like hanging out with my kids over the summer, walking my goat more and taking care of my bees.'

You just know that it wasn't voluntary.

He has no new job lined up or he'd have said something about moving on to 'other projects'. The 'taking a break to focus on other things' is a surefire sign of a rapid exit, voluntary or not.
Closed Thread