Lt. Commander
# 21
07-02-2010, 05:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robingbrown View Post
When someone signs out with this message:

'Iíve decided to take a break from Cryptic Studios for a bit and focus on other things, like hanging out with my kids over the summer, walking my goat more and taking care of my bees.'

You just know that it wasn't voluntary.

He has no new job lined up or he'd have said something about moving on to 'other projects'. The 'taking a break to focus on other things' is a surefire sign of a rapid exit, voluntary or not.
actually, that smacks true in the world of business. Unless we hear his return to another project in short turn, people can assume what really happened.

Like I said before, either he is independently wealthy from a nice huge bonus from box sales, he sacked away some nice side money, or he was let go.

In this economy, you don't bounce out of a job to relax unless you have a really nice cushion to fall on. Who cares why he is leaving... he just is. Now we get to see if that is a good thing, or a bad one.

Side note, one of the devs said he had the resources for the 'break'... hinting that he prepared for this... or maybe fell into it (money).
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-02-2010, 05:51 AM
Bye ZInc. We'll miss you.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-02-2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evry1sLostButMe View Post
I just saw Zinc's Post about bailing on STO. I have been in the business world long enough that when an EP jumps ship, 1 of 3 things has happened.
1. He is burned out
2. He sees the writing on the wall for some calamity coming over the hills.
or 3. He has been asked to fall on his sword.

This is a new game that has failed to live up to the opening broadside. But to be honest I am now scared for the future of this game. I saw potential and still see more, but, again when the EP bails after 5 months, something is smelling funny in the head.

So what's the scoop Cryptic? As a paying customer I would like to know what the deal is.

And fellow Trek-ites. What's your take?

Depends on what "transition" we get. If it's immediately and no transition at all, then very bad sign.

But CO had a leadership change about the same time after launch and people claim it's improved. Of course, CO had an improvement over the previous guy if they hired a monkey with a monkeywrench, sledgehammer, and duct tape to take over. Zinc was a lot better than that guy who I refuse to say the name of.

The fact so many are worried though with Zinc leaving says how well liked he was by the community though. If we had that other guy and he said he was gone, there would be parties, cookies, and many offers to help him pack up his stuff.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-02-2010, 06:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS Parallax
I have it on good authority that Zinc left after he found out how much the Galaxy-X would cost.
Sources man, sources - and the TV is not one of them.

We really have no idea why he is leaving. But this game is seriously lacking and maybe his vision conflicted with the future vision of management for this game. A.K.A. Cryptic didn't like the direction of sales and Zinc refused to change the flow of the games development.

Either way, makes no diff to me.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-02-2010, 06:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodi-emish
* puts on tin foil hat *

IT'S all over DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM it's a sinking ship. the rats are leaving.... were all doomed.

it's ok it's ok it's ok it's ok..... here drink this kool aid. * drops dead*

/tinfoil hat

now that we got the tin foil hats out of the way let me give you some facts.

Zinc has been working on Star Trek Online for nearly 2 and a half years. he has been working at cryptic for over 7 years. he has nearly killed himself with the late nights, and long hours away from his family over this game, and he has to deal with a community that treats him like crap. the mans is tired, he is turning gray, he has had a good long run with cryptic, and he wants a rest. leave the man alone.
Doooooooooooooom DOOOOOOOOM.

I agree, come on people, dose every thing that cryptic says or dose mean that the game is coming to an end? I know many of the people that play this are younger adults, but sometimes especially after a long stressful project you just get burnt out..... Especially when you keep trying to give people what they want and you end up making another segment of the player base mad. Zinc take a long cruse with your kids, re-connect with your family, and remember what is important in life.

Ok now back to your regularly scheduled DOOOOOOOOOMing.. LOL
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-02-2010, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robingbrown View Post
When someone signs out with this message:

'Iíve decided to take a break from Cryptic Studios for a bit and focus on other things, like hanging out with my kids over the summer, walking my goat more and taking care of my bees.'

You just know that it wasn't voluntary.

He has no new job lined up or he'd have said something about moving on to 'other projects'. The 'taking a break to focus on other things' is a surefire sign of a rapid exit, voluntary or not.

Let me see... I have done that myself. Some times some people need to massively decompress for personal health reasons. It was voluntary. When someone takes a sabbatical they don't need a new job because they still have one. Knowing how Cryptic treats their employees I am betting this is also paid time off. I see no indication of a "rapid exit". I see a guy who has given Cryptic everything he could for 7 years and is wanting to spend some quality time with his family before he becomes the executive producer on another big project.

Y'all need to chill and start taking your meds again. Your seeing things where there is nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-02-2010, 06:39 AM
Frankly I have to point out that the mere fact that Zinc was still posting in the forums yesterday as a point that conspiracy of firing or forced removal are probably not true. But chances are this also explains why Dstahl has been so invisible of late, hes probably spent the last several weeks since he got back from leave getting up to speed on all the stuff he now has to be responsible for......and getting the appropriate modifications made to his chassis so that he can tolerate the amount of wear and tear he will experience from this most kind and understanding of a community
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-02-2010, 07:38 AM
"I want to spend more time with my family" has never ever been used before as cover for the real reason someone is leaving.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-02-2010, 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotD
"I want to spend more time with my family" has never ever been used before as cover for the real reason someone is leaving.
See, this is why you get in trouble with the ladies.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-02-2010, 07:42 AM
Honestly, if there was something sinister about Zinc leaving they wouldn't tell us. On top of that, the probably wouldn't say a word if his leaving was DOOOOOOOM.

At least this is different from the last two weekends.
Closed Thread