Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
07-02-2010, 07:00 AM
Even if it's not directly a crafting mechanic; complex interdependent gameplay is a sure fit for MMOs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
07-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeathenStorm View Post
Even if it's not directly a crafting mechanic; complex interdependent gameplay is a sure fit for MMOs.
OH I would love to see a economy grow out of outfitting/refitting ships. Frankly I have to believe that all ships and equivalent are not built by the government of the Federation but by companies in the Federation (and maybe outside *cough* Ferengi *cough* If we could add in some sort of resourcing system in addition to the researching system I would <3 that. Of course, some of that comes from playing WAY too much EVE
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
07-02-2010, 07:15 AM
A board game, eh?

What about a exploration overhaul "boardgame":
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=159592
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
A board game, eh?

What about a exploration overhaul "boardgame":
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=159592
Curse you Darren and your self promotion of great ideas!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
07-02-2010, 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
OH I would love to see a economy grow out of outfitting/refitting ships. Frankly I have to believe that all ships and equivalent are not built by the government of the Federation but by companies in the Federation (and maybe outside *cough* Ferengi *cough* If we could add in some sort of resourcing system in addition to the researching system I would <3 that. Of course, some of that comes from playing WAY too much EVE
This really is a great idea- it would be nice to have a crafting system that allowed those who really worked for it to modify items and ships. Not only would it provide more non-combat content, it would also really help create a diverse economy.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
07-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
Of course, some of that comes from playing WAY too much EVE
Any sci-fi MMO that doesn't understand EVE is doomed to reinvent it. Poorly.

But it doesn't necessarily have to be about shipyards. The guy grinding his sausage is doing so for a reason, because that sausage can feed his army. The effort has a payoff further down the line as his army marches to victory.

Players want their efforts translated into tangible results. Gear progression is a narrow, linear path that results in a selfish community that only uses other players to improve their chances of getting in-game rewards.

Why not play for a greater cause? Let that fresh-faced Lieutenant's Diplomatic efforts in Delta Volanis contribute towards their fleet, or their faction. Giving benefit and reward by providing new allies for the Federation.

Likewise, a Klingon PVP fleet can work together to bring the Neutral Zone under Empire control; thus benefitting all Klingon players.

Or even the humble crafter, playing an engrossing crafting minigame in Memory Alpha. (We can dream.) They too can help others by providing exclusive one-shot hardware and scientific research.

Maybe new playstyles can come out of this. Territorial Control. Starbase Management. An individual's game experience may be vastly different to another's. But they're all playing the same game.

There has to be more to MMOs than not-standing-in-stuff.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17
07-02-2010, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_blue
This really is a great idea- it would be nice to have a crafting system that allowed those who really worked for it to modify items and ships. Not only would it provide more non-combat content, it would also really help create a diverse economy.
The only slippery slot is developing it in such a way as to not be a copy of things like EVE has done or any other MMO that has a crafting system. Granted they all tend to run a recipe system where you have to have a + b = c. Touching on a thought I had in another post before, this would give a chance to see something like the Daystrom institute be included in the game (or even Yoyodyne Industries, makers of fine starships in TNG era)
I personally would love a way to improve console technology, and from yet another former forum post, some shipboard systems like the ODN network, computer core, warp reactor.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
07-02-2010, 07:25 AM
Some things that could easily work as boardgames (for the meta-concept):
  • Territory Control
  • Exploration
  • Resource Acquisition (i.e. mining, etc.)
  • Fleet Management

There's a wealth of ideas out there. From traditional boardgames (like Catan or Axis & Allies) to the entire strategy/4x genre (like Galactic Civilizations, Masters of Orion).



It's a great way to present loads of complex information at once.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
07-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Some things that could easily work as boardgames (for the meta-concept):
  • Territory Control
  • Exploration
  • Resource Acquisition (i.e. mining, etc.)
  • Fleet Management

There's a wealth of ideas out there. From traditional boardgames (like Catan or Axis & Allies) to the entire strategy/4x genre (like Galactic Civilizations, Masters of Orion).



It's a great way to present loads of complex information at once.
Actually it would be a really cool thing if when you are at K-7 or DS-9 or some other command starbase to be able to access a fleet tactical map to see where the current 'hot spots' are or just the overall tactical situation. *sees an image of a hex like map covering sectors with activity indications* Heck I would even let that crazy Russian admiral send me missions based on current hot spots, though I will stop myself because I don't know how complex it is to create an in game character that can send deployment orders to ships based on an ever changing situation....but it would be freaking cool if you could
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
07-02-2010, 07:33 AM
Perhaps an organized approach might be an option? for instance PvP and Diplomacy could be used to influence a worlds faction standings, Diplomacy and Exploration could also influence the ability to gather resources from that particular world. And then Exploration and Resource mining/gathering could be used to unlock faction bonuses.

For instance above a planet the Klingon and Federation battle it out for supremacy. The winner of the battle gets +20 influence with that system. Meanwhile a diplomatic envoy from both sides are meeting with the worlds leaders to disguss defense matters, the side the leaders go with receives +10 faction. suddenly one side gains an NPC ship to aid them in the next space battle overhead. Meanwhile another diplomatic envoy is fanagling with the local population for the use of the natives to help them scout for resources, these natives have an innate ability to reveal hidden resources (cloaked resources anyone?) that a normal player might not be able to find. These resources could then be used to repair ships, and boost shields giving the federation or Klingon fighters a +2% to shield resistance. . .Meanwhile in the next space battle there are 3 Klingon sided NPC players and the Federation has managed to get a bonus +5% to shield resistance and +2% to damage output to the players ships.

Eventually if one side completely dominates in all the area's they could "take over" the system as theirs, requiring the other side to begin sabotage and spy missions in order to unlock the planet to them again.

The list of idea's could go on and on and on. . .

~D

EDIT: haha crap you guys posted over half a page of comments while I wrote that. . .I see others have similar idea's to mine already. . .well they do say great minds think alike
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:10 AM.