Lt. Commander
# 21
07-02-2010, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by castmodean View Post
The only slippery slot is developing it in such a way as to not be a copy of things like EVE has done or any other MMO that has a crafting system. Granted they all tend to run a recipe system where you have to have a + b = c. Touching on a thought I had in another post before, this would give a chance to see something like the Daystrom institute be included in the game (or even Yoyodyne Industries, makers of fine starships in TNG era)
I personally would love a way to improve console technology, and from yet another former forum post, some shipboard systems like the ODN network, computer core, warp reactor.
I've always thought that instead of focusing on items, the STO crafting should focus on research in different fields.

For example, instead of weapon crafting or console building or whatever, why not let players focus on certain technological fields, such as tetryon mechanics, or deflector systems, or polyphasic shielding? The characters who build up these fields would be able to modify existing items with certain benefits, such as extra resistances or regen to shields, or additional bonuses to sensor probes, and so on.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-02-2010, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Actually it would be a really cool thing if when you are at K-7 or DS-9 or some other command starbase to be able to access a fleet tactical map to see where the current 'hot spots' are or just the overall tactical situation. *sees an image of a hex like map covering sectors with activity indications* Heck I would even let that crazy Russian admiral send me missions based on current hot spots, though I will stop myself because I don't know how complex it is to create an in game character that can send deployment orders to ships based on an ever changing situation....but it would be freaking cool if you could
You mean, like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuP6KbIsNK4#t=3m6s
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-02-2010, 07:42 AM
As long as I get a spy like Sid Meier's Civilization had where it was 'pay money and I win' Actually I suppose you could tie espionage mechanics in with diplomacy but this would be a really interesting mechanic to see. Scuh as a mercenary strike force sent into Earthdock to download a tactical database, or infiltrate a shipyard to sabotage it.
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Quote:
As long as I get a spy like Sid Meier's Civilization had where it was 'pay money and I win' Actually I suppose you could tie espionage mechanics in with diplomacy but this would be a really interesting mechanic to see. Scuh as a mercenary strike force sent into Earthdock to download a tactical database, or infiltrate a shipyard to sabotage it.
You know mechanics (like Civilization Or Medieval TW might work nicely).

Imagine if we have a custom-item crafting system but the Romulans have a whole experience dedicated toward sabotaging players or stealing their technology.

Welcome to Fear and Loathing in the Alpha Quadrant!
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
FTW and best of all if the glitch with Klingon players still loading on SB1 happens you can have a fight in the war room!
Lt. Commander
# 26
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Romulans poisoned the water well!

Your colonists have died of dysentery!
Lt. Commander
# 27
07-02-2010, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Romulans poisoned the water well!

Your colonists have died of dysentery!
You joke about it but there could actually be a compelling game with random events like that.

Imagine having to defend colonies and remote outputs (from either PvE or PvP) and random missions (or "chance cards") that affect them.
Lt. Commander
# 28
07-02-2010, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
You joke about it but there could actually be a compelling game with random events like that.

Imagine having to defend colonies and remote outputs (from either PvE or PvP) and random missions (or "chance cards") that affect them.
I jest yes, I have fond memories of elementary school and playing the EGA version of Oregon Trail. But realistically yes a mission set where you have to defend an outpost, or diagnose a sickness caused by sabotage, or even like on DS-9 where an age old defense subroutine activates on a captured station and you have a countdown timer in order to save the station or face system wide devastation.
Lt. Commander
# 29
07-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Quote:
I jest yes, I have fond memories of elementary school and playing the EGA version of Oregon Trail. But realistically yes a mission set where you have to defend an outpost, or diagnose a sickness caused by sabotage, or even like on DS-9 where an age old defense subroutine activates on a captured station and you have a countdown timer in order to save the station or face system wide devastation.
You could have epic storylines.

What if an epidemic event were added to exploration? Players that come into contact with the epidemic start spreading it like wildfire in the community.

Then, everyone has to work on a cure.
Lt. Commander
# 30
07-02-2010, 08:03 AM
Quote:
Heck I would even let that crazy Russian admiral send me missions based on current hot spots, though I will stop myself because I don't know how complex it is to create an in game character that can send deployment orders to ships based on an ever changing situation....but it would be freaking cool if you could
Well, a Fleet Admiral NPC doesn't have to be the perfect strategist. It would just be enough to have him point the fleet in the rough direction of wherever trouble's brewing today. Then leaving hotspot tactics to the players involved.

After all, Star Trek is full of examples of Captains disobeying direct orders once they see the problem for themselves.