Lt. Commander
# 11
07-04-2010, 09:09 PM
Well the cloaking devices for Federation ships were banned under the Treaty of Algernon, so that is why the Federation isn't supposed to use cloaking devices.

As for the old ships...yeah. I loved the Constitution design but this is 2409! The Constitutions are 164 years old at this point (or 130 years old for the refit). The US Navy considers a ship old when it hits the thirty or forty year mark. Eventually you reach a point where no amount of refitting is going to bring the ship up to anything more then deathtrap if you take it into battle. Would you take, shall we say a WW1 dreadnought against even a frigate of today's navy? No, it would be suicide for the poor dreadnought.

Now according to the game fluff, the Excalibur class is the updated Constitution design.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
Even if we didn't have the fight???

I'm just too attached to the ship(thus why I have coarboard, pop bottle, and hot glue models of Constitutions in my room; It's the one on the left)) class to really want anything different other than an Ambassador.

Though'd I even settle for this if I had to. It was my origional concept for the Arizona I came up with several years ago, and I fell in love with the ship during the process of constructing the actual model.
All must love Wrath of Kahn. Resistance is Futile!
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
Well the cloaking devices for Federation ships were banned under the Treaty of Algernon, so that is why the Federation isn't supposed to use cloaking devices.

As for the old ships...yeah. I loved the Constitution design but this is 2409! The Constitutions are 164 years old at this point (or 130 years old for the refit). The US Navy considers a ship old when it hits the thirty or forty year mark. Eventually you reach a point where no amount of refitting is going to bring the ship up to anything more then deathtrap if you take it into battle. Would you take, shall we say a WW1 dreadnought against even a frigate of today's navy? No, it would be suicide for the poor dreadnought.

Now according to the game fluff, the Excalibur class is the updated Constitution design.
I would mind at all if the idea was used with the Excaliburs. If they wouldn't've been the same tier as the Constitutions, I was gonna fly one and even tried to get a second T2 cruiser because of that. I like the design of the Excaliburs.

As far as the refit idea goes, if I evere get it sliced down to more realistive levels, I was gonna repost the idea as "Constitution/ Excalibur/ Vesper Class Upgrade Proposal" so the age of the Connie wouldn't interfer with the idea.

So this actually sounds like a good idea? Outside of the 14 weapons slots?
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-05-2010, 12:43 AM
I had the privilege of asking a GM in game the other nite about upgrading/refitting lower tier ships. The GM just gave me the smiley face. This is encouraging. From that I take it as an unofficial nod that Cryptic will be implementing some form of upgrading/refitting of lower tier ships. Now whether that happens in season 2 or an update after season 2 will have to be seen. On another note, the Excelsior is supposed to make it in for season 2, along with several other ships, unofficially of course.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I think I read where ya said that in another thread believe it or not.

I'm kinda anxious to see how this will actually turn out and if we'll see the other ships from the poll as well.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-06-2010, 02:47 AM
16 weapon slots? Exactly how over-powered do you want the Connie, Zero?
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Ummmm....... overpowered enough to completely demolish Hazard's Sovereign in 5 seconds?? Give or take a few?
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
Ummmm....... overpowered enough to completely demolish Hazard's Sovereign in 5 seconds?? Give or take a few?
Good enough reason..

Though when we are controlling a Taskforce as Riker & Picard, we can obliterate him.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-06-2010, 07:15 AM
I didn't read any of the first post or this thread at all.

But I think the Constitution class is for pansies.

So I am against any idea with "Constitution" in its name, unless we're talking about a piece of parchment covered in good ideas.

That is all.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
1) We don't know that any ship will be able to be upgraded

2) never going to be given that meny slots, ever, the most any ship has is 8. that will still be the limit.

3) there are no weapon specific slots.

4) No Ship currently conforms to the actual load outs specified in the cannon sources, why should that one? hell why is that still even being run in the 25 century?

I know lots of people love the Consitution but it's presance irritates me.
I only care about it because the orginal connie at starting lvl has an extra eng console and a better hull rating than the starter ship.