Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
My fleet and I would like to get a jump on designing a logo in the time leading up to the launch of this feature. Are there any official graphical specifications, or limitations required on the Fleet Logo? Any information that can help us get started in creating a workable in-game logo would be most appreciated.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-04-2010, 06:42 AM
I'm curious about this as well. The fleet I'm with and associated with, as well as my 2-man fleet, has their own emblem. When this feature goes live on the Tribble, I plan on hitting up Ten Forward's Tribble fleet and testing out this system to see how it would work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-04-2010, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Zero
I'm curious about this as well. The fleet I'm with and associated with, as well as my 2-man fleet, has their own emblem. When this feature goes live on the Tribble, I plan on hitting up Ten Forward's Tribble fleet and testing out this system to see how it would work.
I'm intrigued by it as well. There's several Ideas on how they could do it.

The Easiest (I suspect) is the "upload a picture" Like Mechwarrior IV did. However that leads into allot of Quality control issues. I wonder how long it would be until we see a giant pair of breasts on the side of a ship (As well as inside it).

Another way, and possibly the least stimulating or interesting one, and thus not my favourite, is something like the emblem system from Halo. A limited palette of shapes, which can be shaded to a colour.

A third option is something akin to the Forza 2 way of decorating a car. Something similar is now used in All Points Bulletin, I'm lead to believe. So it can be done as an MMO. I suspect that this alone would prevent the aforementioned "breast" syndrome, as you'll need to put a fair old it of effort into the creator to get something like that.

However as you say It will be interesting to see what they come up with. It'd be nice to hear what the Dev's have to say on the subject. I mean its not like some of the other release items. IE: going to cause massive Nerd rage. Just Inquiring minds want to know.


Edit:
STO are cleverer than some forums, they Filter words based on how the word appears on Screen, not how the Text is formatted :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-04-2010, 09:54 AM
I can nearly guarantee you that totally custom designed emblems are going to be out (as in, draw something).

At best, you will have two or three layers of an image to work with that each have many possibilities for shape, color, and orientation.

At best.

I'm gonna take a wild stab and say you just get to choose from a moderate sized assortment of premade emblems, and maybe assign colors to them.

Unless you know something I don't (entirely possible), I wouldn't get your hopes up guys.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-04-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasensal
I can nearly guarantee you that totally custom designed emblems are going to be out (as in, draw something).

At best, you will have two or three layers of an image to work with that each have many possibilities for shape, color, and orientation.

At best.

I'm gonna take a wild stab and say you just get to choose from a moderate sized assortment of premade emblems, and maybe assign colors to them.

Unless you know something I don't (entirely possible), I wouldn't get your hopes up guys.
I agree, in order for fleet logos to be completely customized, Cryptic would need to review each one to make sure it isn't in violation of any terms. I'm sure the assortment of designs will be pretty good.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curii
The Easiest (I suspect) is the "upload a picture" Like Mechwarrior IV did. However that leads into allot of Quality control issues. I wonder how long it would be until we see a giant pair of breasts on the side of a ship (As well as inside it).
Well news like that will certainly disappoint Captain Leisure Suit Larry of the U.S.S. Groper
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Generally, I figure the best way to predict how Cryptic's gonna hop is to look at what's in Champions Online...and City of Heroes had before Cryptic sold it.

Champions and CoH don't have custom personal or supergroup emblems. They just have a range of standard symbols that can be recoloured.

It's possible STO could allow uploads or have some kind of 'emblem creator'...but I think that's unlikely.

Sure, APB's an example of an MMO that allows symbol design...but that mechanic is a core part of APB and is used for tattoos, cars, clothing and so on. But Cryptic doesn't have existing user interface technology for that level of symbol customization, and they're unlikely to create it just for one single purpose. Too much time and work.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Sure, APB's an example of an MMO that allows symbol design...but that mechanic is a core part of APB and is used for tattoos, cars, clothing and so on. But Cryptic doesn't have existing user interface technology for that level of symbol customization, and they're unlikely to create it just for one single purpose. Too much time and work.
There is something similar-ish (ok only in passing) used currently on the ship painting tool.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I've seen a few files floating around in the prepatch for Season 2:
  • Animals
  • Anchors
  • Arrows
  • Balls
  • Bat'leths
  • Card Symbols
  • Classes
  • Dagger
  • Dice
  • Dragon
  • DS9
  • Energy Types
  • Faction Logos
  • Fed Numbers
  • Fire
  • Geometric Symbols
  • Greek Characters
  • Hands
  • Heart
  • Klingon Letters
  • Lighning Bolt
  • Mekleth
  • Meteors
  • Patches
  • Planets
  • Roman Letters
  • Royal Symbols
  • Scientific Symbols
  • Shields
  • Skulls
  • Stars
  • Suns
  • Other Symbols
  • Other Background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acylion
Generally, I figure the best way to predict how Cryptic's gonna hop is to look at what's in Champions Online...and City of Heroes had before Cryptic sold it.

Champions and CoH don't have custom personal or supergroup emblems. They just have a range of standard symbols that can be recoloured.

It's possible STO could allow uploads or have some kind of 'emblem creator'...but I think that's unlikely.

Sure, APB's an example of an MMO that allows symbol design...but that mechanic is a core part of APB and is used for tattoos, cars, clothing and so on. But Cryptic doesn't have existing user interface technology for that level of symbol customization, and they're unlikely to create it just for one single purpose. Too much time and work.
I doubt it's a time and work thing.

There'd be a backlash if there were porn-spray logos like in Counter-Strike.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I have no idea whatsoever but I want to have something like the Vulcan IDIC except with a sword through it
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 PM.