Lt. Commander
well.... are we? What I was thinking is that fleet starbases would be like the City of Heroes bases, in which the leader of the fleet can get it, and give people with certain ranks certain permissions (like editing the base). But... here's the ideas I had for it... a fleet starbase can be built anywhere on your side(Feds or Klingons) and is editable by people with permissions... Like in City of Heroes, there could be a Prestige system, to get points for editing the base. Only the fleet that owns the base can see it unless they are on a Team with someone with permission to show them around the base. I was thinking that there could be Holodecks, kind of like Architect Entertainment in City of Heroes... and people in the fleet could make programs there like the AE in City of Heroes! also... I was thinking of material collectors that could be added onto the base to collect different items... (e.g. ship materials or alien artifacts) and also what could be added could be "Battle-Stations" a place on the starbase where people could go if another fleet from the other team was attacking the base... then they could remotely control little fighters with light shields and weaponry that when destroyed, respawn immidiately and are an unlimited number of. Also are able to "hire" NPCs to be vendors or to run around the base. (vendors being all the people on the base that you can buy stuff from(or edit your ship or heal it or heal your away team or yourself)) In the battlestations, there could also be controllable phaser turrets or disruptor turrets, and when someone is not controlling it, fights automatically, but loses 10% accuracy and damage. When someone starts controlling it again though, it regains that 10% loss. There could also be admirals' offices and private quarters for players on the starbase, the higher the rank, the better the quarters. There could also be starbase shields available to buy and be upgraded. I think that only a fleet with enough members should be able to have their starbase attacked. One other thing, there could be starbase upgrades available, that would increase the power or strength of the defending players' starships, and weaken the attackers' starships. Good idea? Thats all I have thought of for now... But I'll keep thinking!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-04-2010, 08:29 AM
The thing is, as much as I do actually like these ideas, I'm not sure I can ever see the need for these. What can a Starbase offer that a well functioning Starship interior cannot? Personally I'd be more inclined by a fleet flagship than a starbase.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
whoa too much to read there, space out your paragraphs a bit please

In any case, it is any idea that has been tossed around but nothing is definite as far as I know. My assumption is that if something like this does get created for the game fleets will be able to choose between a space station, ground base, or flag ship.

Really though, like david26th said, there isn't much more it could offer compared to your ship or even other starbases. Still I wouldn't mind seeing this feature.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-04-2010, 08:48 AM
Paragraphs or not reading it. sorry.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I think it's a pretty good idea, especially from an RP or pvp perspective. I know a lot of Age of Conan players enjoy the guild city/seige mechanics, and I think STO would benefit from a similar mechanic.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Need to have reasons to have them first. Mini-games will be a good start, however there simply is no reason to have a Fleet SB when you can go to ESD, Mem-Alpha etc etc and perform the same functions.

There are to many facets of the game that need to be addressed before adding in more static environments that add nothing to game play. I can already stand on my bridge and stare at Fleet Mates that beam over, I can do that on ESD as well. Why spend the Dev cycles on a new instance where I'm going to end up doing the same standing and staring at a Fleet Mate?

RP being the most common banner people rally behind to get this in game, however I spent an hour with my buddy in Quarks just to check out the "RP" scene. What I got was a 40 minute conversation between 3 to 5 people regarding Pon Far. It was a train wreck that we couldn't leave and just sat there in awe, I don't see this as a driving force to sacrifice Dev Cycles on.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-04-2010, 08:01 PM
i'd like to see fleet starbases or even personel ones where the different personel on the base could be similar to your bridge officers. there could eventually be fleet wars where one fleet attacks your base and dependant on how well you have stocked/crewed your base shows up in how you do in the battle. you could recruit different shops or npc crafters/scientists. I think it could almost be its own expansion. It could easily turn out like how the shivering isles in oblivian 4 was or how your ship in mass effect 1 or 2 was. I'd love to see this!
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-05-2010, 09:03 AM
heck....

even DDO has guild ships now.