Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > The Academy
Login

Lt. Commander
When STO released I saw maybe 1-2 magazines that previewed Star Trek Online, one Beckett's Massively Multiplayer Online magazine and another some Nvidia magazine. Other then that, there was silence on the Western Front except for pimping STO out on the "Official Star Trek Magazine" - can you guys tell me what that's about?

I also read one or two reviews on STO in the gaming magazines and coverage of STO in EGM months before the game came out (4 different covers I believe) but other then a review NO COVERAGE whatsoever SINCE STO released.

Every month I'm at Barnes & Nobles looking at the computer gaming mags trying to find articles about Star Trek Online but I find myself finding articles about everything BUT Star Trek Online.

I realize that sometimes companies pay magazines to feature their game, etc. and maybe you should think about doing that? I really wish I could see more coverage of my favorite MMORPG in the various PC gaming magazines!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I doubt Cryptic wants any more bad press on STO then what is already out.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signalsgt View Post
I doubt Cryptic wants any more bad press on STO then what is already out.
Yeah, as much as I love the game to death, it needs some time to get itself ready. A few more seasons and then they should do a media hype again.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Hunter 9
Yeah, as much as I love the game to death, it needs some time to get itself ready. A few more seasons and then they should do a media hype again.
This game has soo much bad press, Iam sure cryptic relies how bad this game is viewed atm and dosnt want to spend the cash on ads for the game till they believe this game is ready for advertisements. But the thing is.. its not the game, yes it lacks in certain end game values but it all comes down the the ethics Cryptic has unleashed on its gamers... and most of them arnt peased at all with them.

Right now we are in the same boat swg is atm....and seeing this game so early to be like that...makes me question how long this game has left in her. Only thing thatll change or has to is Cryptic.

*end my little speach of sorts*
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-04-2010, 06:11 PM
People tend to forget that MMOs usually don't have lots of content six months in. WoW didn't have all its raids and other pvp areas six months into its lifespan. Season 2.0 seems to be the stay or leave expansion for most people. If Season 2.0 does well, then lots of people will stay, but if it does poorly, then they will take their money elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-04-2010, 06:12 PM
All the MMOs I'm aware of have had a rough start. Although I've never played WoW beyond the free trial, I heard that sucked hard for the first six months or so. SWG had similar problems. It's kind of a given in the MMO world, I think. My thinking is that they're waiting to iron some stuff out before going back to the press.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-04-2010, 06:26 PM
i don't see the comparison to this game and swg being accurate. swg was a great game till thedestroyed it because people complainned it took too much to become a jedi. took me the better part of 2 years, but my jedi was worth it. if i spend the next 2 years working my captian into a captian kirk, then people complain, they make kirk a starting class and rename him wesley crusher....that would be a fair comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-05-2010, 01:59 AM
I hope that Cryptic is being smart and has deliberately decided to wait until after Season 2 is released to the live server before they advertise STO.

In its current state, it just makes no sense to attempt to bring old players back or to bring new players into the game. Former players coming back will only find almost the exact same game they've already quit, with no new content. New players will quickly come to have the same opinion of STO that current players have.

Cryptic should hold off on advertisement until the game has sufficient content to retain subscribers.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-05-2010, 02:26 AM
The game was featured as having one of the top bugs of 2010 in one mag. I'd say thats magazine attention
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-05-2010, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atemporal View Post
All the MMOs I'm aware of have had a rough start. Although I've never played WoW beyond the free trial, I heard that sucked hard for the first six months or so. SWG had similar problems. It's kind of a given in the MMO world, I think. My thinking is that they're waiting to iron some stuff out before going back to the press.
Yeah, played many....I can think of LotRO having a pretty smooth start...the rest have been pretty brutal.