Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Today I saw it for the first time
07-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Hello,

I have played many online rpgs: some good, some bad. So far I have enjoyed my experience in STO a great deal. One of the things that has constantly disappointed me in virtually all the mmorpgs I have played is the vile trash talking that inevitably takes place during pvp. I admit that the crudeness of the talk varies from game to game depending on the type and age of players who participate.

Perhaps the most disgusting aspect of the trash talk in most rpgs is the use of the "N word". From use in conversation to use in trash talk, it really aggravates me that this word is so prevalent in online rpg communities.

Today I saw the "N word" used for the first time in STO. Sure, I've seen plenty of trash talking during pvp, and I understand it for the most part. PVP is competition, and when people are competing they often talk smack, but when I saw this guy using that vile word, I was really disappointed. For some reason I tend to think of Star Trek fans as educated people. People who are smart and witty enough to talk trash without using disgusting racial slurs.

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, (and I know it sounds lame, so feel free to flame me) but for some reason I had an idealistic view of what the STO community would be like. Living by the examples set by our favorite characters like Picard, Data, Sisko, and others.

I realize that this incident does not reflect the STO community, rather, it shows the character of the person who was spewing out his/her ignorant speech. My idealistic view coming into STO was in some ways right. The overwhelming majority of players I have met here are nice, helpful, and fun to play with. Anyway...I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

thanks for reading.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
07-06-2010, 02:51 PM
Well.. unfortunatley the only thing you can do is report the person. Hopefully you did so.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
07-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9809 View Post
Hello,

I have played many online rpgs: some good, some bad. So far I have enjoyed my experience in STO a great deal. One of the things that has constantly disappointed me in virtually all the mmorpgs I have played is the vile trash talking that inevitably takes place during pvp. I admit that the crudeness of the talk varies from game to game depending on the type and age of players who participate.

Perhaps the most disgusting aspect of the trash talk in most rpgs is the use of the "N word". From use in conversation to use in trash talk, it really aggravates me that this word is so prevalent in online rpg communities.

Today I saw the "N word" used for the first time in STO. Sure, I've seen plenty of trash talking during pvp, and I understand it for the most part. PVP is competition, and when people are competing they often talk smack, but when I saw this guy using that vile word, I was really disappointed. For some reason I tend to think of Star Trek fans as educated people. People who are smart and witty enough to talk trash without using disgusting racial slurs.

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, (and I know it sounds lame, so feel free to flame me) but for some reason I had an idealistic view of what the STO community would be like. Living by the examples set by our favorite characters like Picard, Data, Sisko, and others.

I realize that this incident does not reflect the STO community, rather, it shows the character of the person who was spewing out his/her ignorant speech. My idealistic view coming into STO was in some ways right. The overwhelming majority of players I have met here are nice, helpful, and fun to play with. Anyway...I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

thanks for reading.
I trash talk alot but that dont mean i get upset about somone beeing racist they are just stupid beeing racist cause we all belong to the same race the human race....... SO just pity their ignorance and type /ignore player name. and report them cause its against the EULA
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9809 View Post
I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, (and I know it sounds lame, so feel free to flame me) but for some reason I had an idealistic view of what the STO community would be like. Living by the examples set by our favorite characters like Picard, Data, Sisko, and others.
I understand what you're saying... and yes I do feel we should try and empathize with each other more, but the reality is that the STO forum goers aren't very... er... diplomatic. The need to continually 1UP the other guy, spit on another's suggestion, become the most arrogant SOB on the forums over little things are all trademarks in our quaint little virtual hovel.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
07-06-2010, 02:53 PM
When people make offensive comments in game, the correct thing to do is report them. The absolute WRONG thing to do is post threads about it, like this one. By doing so, all you do is give the "incident" publicity, and you probably have the person who did it or his friends laughing at you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
07-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Keep in mind that STO also attracts MMO players who may not be star trek players.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9809 View Post
Hello,

I have played many online rpgs: some good, some bad. So far I have enjoyed my experience in STO a great deal. One of the things that has constantly disappointed me in virtually all the mmorpgs I have played is the vile trash talking that inevitably takes place during pvp. I admit that the crudeness of the talk varies from game to game depending on the type and age of players who participate.

Perhaps the most disgusting aspect of the trash talk in most rpgs is the use of the "N word". From use in conversation to use in trash talk, it really aggravates me that this word is so prevalent in online rpg communities.

Today I saw the "N word" used for the first time in STO. Sure, I've seen plenty of trash talking during pvp, and I understand it for the most part. PVP is competition, and when people are competing they often talk smack, but when I saw this guy using that vile word, I was really disappointed. For some reason I tend to think of Star Trek fans as educated people. People who are smart and witty enough to talk trash without using disgusting racial slurs.

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, (and I know it sounds lame, so feel free to flame me) but for some reason I had an idealistic view of what the STO community would be like. Living by the examples set by our favorite characters like Picard, Data, Sisko, and others.

I realize that this incident does not reflect the STO community, rather, it shows the character of the person who was spewing out his/her ignorant speech. My idealistic view coming into STO was in some ways right. The overwhelming majority of players I have met here are nice, helpful, and fun to play with. Anyway...I guess I just had to get that off my chest.

thanks for reading.
So the "n word" is appropriate for rap songs, def comedy jam comic routines and casual conversation between friends but not pvp?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
I trash talk alot but that dont mean i get upset about somone beeing racist they are just stupid beeing racist cause we all belong to the same race the human race....... SO just pity their ignorance and type /ignore player name. and report them cause its against the EULA

i'm not entirely sure that we all belong to the same race
i could be wrong but i dont think so
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
07-06-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyle View Post
So the "n word" is appropriate for rap songs, def comedy jam comic routines and casual conversation between friends but not pvp?
The difference is this game has rules against profanity while those things you mentioned do not. Therefore, anyone who wants to play this game has to follow the rules, or be kicked out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
07-06-2010, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyle View Post
So the "n word" is appropriate for rap songs, def comedy jam comic routines and casual conversation between friends but not pvp?
Methinks it probably wasn't used in the same way or by the same person as in the examples you list.

And for the record, no, that word doesn't belong in an open chat situation. No matter how many times Snoop Dog uses it in a song.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:09 AM.