Lt. Commander
# 11
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_ View Post
i'm not entirely sure that we all belong to the same race
i could be wrong but i dont think so
so really you dont consider yourself a human? just wondering...
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by exyle View Post
So the "n word" is appropriate for rap songs, def comedy jam comic routines and casual conversation between friends but not pvp?
Where did I say it was appropriate for any of those areas you listed?
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-06-2010, 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
so really you dont consider yourself a human? just wondering...
Race is a social construct. In reality there are no races.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9809 View Post
Race is a social construct. In reality there are no races.
thats what i am saying to we are all humans ppl that think there are diffrent races should sit down and turn of the tv and ignore media for a month and really think about it...

This goes back to making 2 factions so its easier to manage and control the masse *dons tin foil hat again*
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-06-2010, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
When people make offensive comments in game, the correct thing to do is report them. The absolute WRONG thing to do is post threads about it, like this one. By doing so, all you do is give the "incident" publicity, and you probably have the person who did it or his friends laughing at you.
I agree that the right thing to do is report them. Which I did.

However, I disagree that it was wrong to post my thread. It was something that bothered me, and I felt compelled to post and discuss it with people who are in the community where it happened.

I think the best thing to do is to get things like this out in the open. Let people know there are repercussions to their actions. When you hide issues they stay issues. When you bring them out in the open they can often be resolved. Maybe someone who reads this post will think twice before doing the same thing.

Also, I highly doubt that the person who I had this encounter with is searching the boards to see if he is now the famed "N word user" on STO. It was not a big incident.....he said it and I responded with one sentence and it was over. It was not a long discussion.

Given the responses, and the fact that he probably now knows it was against the rules and there could be punishment, I'm sure this post won't encourage more people to follow in his/her footsteps.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
So the "n word" is appropriate for rap songs, def comedy jam comic routines and casual conversation between friends but not pvp?
You forgot the uneducated.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms9809 View Post
I agree that the right thing to do is report them. Which I did.

However, I disagree that it was wrong to post my thread. It was something that bothered me, and I felt compelled to post and discuss it with people who are in the community where it happened.
I hate to break it to you, but people who are foolish enough to behave the way you described in the OP arent going to be swayed by this thread or any other. All it will accomplish is some self-congratulation from people who want to affirm their moral superiority, and the possibility of more inappropriate remarks that are often made in any discussion of this sort. You already have some people arguing over whether the term is really offensive or not, and nothing good will come of that.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-06-2010, 02:24 PM
I am still unsure why the main post had to bring this to light. Was this really that shocking to you?

Also, using racist language has little to do with education alone, or in and of itself.

You stereotyping like that has actually upset me a tad.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-06-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
It isn't right for any of those things. Sadly too many people don't see it that way, but a lot of us do. Use it to refer to me or my family in casual conversation and we've got a problem. Only someone of low intelligence and class would think it was ok in game channels. Still confused?
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Racism is a sad development in the gaming world. We should report it whenever possible - or gank the person using such terms to show our solidarity against racism.
Closed Thread