Lt. Commander
I dont know why this popped in my head....

First off... would it be possible for cryptic to allow character creation on the site and then import it to the game?

If so....
I think it would be cool to be able to upload a picture of yourself (or whoever you choose) to the site and use it as a template for creating your characters face.
Have the character youre creating be translucent over the actual pic so you can match up proportions and details with some very good accuracy.

Even if the image couldnt be imported... they could provide a listing of all the slider positions that you could print out and work off of during actual character creation.

I know the devs have alot on their plate.... but I think this sort of tool would be appreciated by alot of people.

Any thoughts?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-06-2010, 03:48 PM
It is completely possible, but a lot of work. They basically need to recreate the system for the site, you would have to log in, etc. Too much work for something that is not needed. If you want to create a character that looks like yourself get a mirror, use a camera to take a picture and look at it, or find a picture of yourself somewhere and just look at it while you are creating your character in game. That's what I did.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
yeah using a pic or mirror is a way to get pretty close but I think being able to overlay the two as you work would get you alot closer.

And you're right its not needed....but then again how much of the stuff you see people asking for on here really is?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
By your counterargument, I can say the entire game is not needed. The features people ask for are gameplay/content. They are to improve the game and make it have a better experience.

Your overlay idea isn't bad, its just not practical in my opinion. Its not needed on the website, the same idea can be done in-game. Using an external source to try and create your character to look like you is easy enough. Like I said, I've done it and had no problem.

Also, you will never get it to look exactly like you because the game doesn't have enough options for that. Your picture would also need to be in the perfect position and size so when you overlay it things match up. If your head is tilted to the left or right then it won't look right when doing the overlay.

I feel it is too much work for them to do and too much of a hassle for the users. I do like the idea and would support it if Cryptic said they had a fool-proof plan so that it would work without any problems, but I don't see that happening. Their time should be focused on more important things.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-07-2010, 03:29 PM
I agree that there are more pressing matters and im not going to harrass them about this type of thing.

It could even be something 3rd party and not done by cryptic themselves.
There are character skill planners out there that mirror the tree pretty well.

If someone out there has the skill to make a character creator that mirrors the in-game one they could make that an option.
Importing would have to be abandoned im pretty sure... but my suggestion of a printable version of the slider positions could work.
Also the creator could provide presets for various ST characters from the series or even various celebrities in general.

There are some pretty smart people in this community and I'm sure someone could figure it out if they wanted. I don't know how huge of a EULA violation that would be if one at all tho.

As far as the pic not matching up.... simple repositioning options would take care of that.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightw8
I agree that there are more pressing matters and im not going to harrass them about this type of thing.

It could even be something 3rd party and not done by cryptic themselves.
There are character skill planners out there that mirror the tree pretty well.

If someone out there has the skill to make a character creator that mirrors the in-game one they could make that an option.
Importing would have to be abandoned im pretty sure... but my suggestion of a printable version of the slider positions could work.
Also the creator could provide presets for various ST characters from the series or even various celebrities in general.

There are some pretty smart people in this community and I'm sure someone could figure it out if they wanted. I don't know how huge of a EULA violation that would be if one at all tho.

As far as the pic not matching up.... simple repositioning options would take care of that.
Its not a matter of "can it be done or not" its a matter of the amount of work it takes to make this. First of all it would most likely use flash. All the 3D styles (hair, body, etc.) would need to be converted or recreated to work with flash. Scaling, color, etc. would need to be programmed into their. You could suggest a 2D version to simplify the work but that wouldn't look right at all. No matter how you look at it, this is a complete reconstruction of the current alien creator in game. It would be much simpler to add your "image overlay" feature to the game.

Honestly out of everything you have suggested, the easiest would be exporting it to your PC then importing it into the game. The game uses a JPG file with the data for the alien stored into it. I've actually seen this data. For someone who doesn't know how this works they would have to study it and compare different races with different settings, etc. Again a lot of work, but once the studying is complete the implementation is probably easiest.

As for defaults of ST characters and celebrities, that is completely against STO Terms of Use. You are not allowed to create any character that is a representation of a protected work. The actual program may be against it, but I'm not sure.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-07-2010, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by attilio View Post
Its not a matter of "can it be done or not" its a matter of the amount of work it takes to make this. First of all it would most likely use flash. All the 3D styles (hair, body, etc.) would need to be converted or recreated to work with flash. Scaling, color, etc. would need to be programmed into their. You could suggest a 2D version to simplify the work but that wouldn't look right at all. No matter how you look at it, this is a complete reconstruction of the current alien creator in game. It would be much simpler to add your "image overlay" feature to the game.

Honestly out of everything you have suggested, the easiest would be exporting it to your PC then importing it into the game. The game uses a JPG file with the data for the alien stored into it. I've actually seen this data. For someone who doesn't know how this works they would have to study it and compare different races with different settings, etc. Again a lot of work, but once the studying is complete the implementation is probably easiest.

As for defaults of ST characters and celebrities, that is completely against STO Terms of Use. You are not allowed to create any character that is a representation of a protected work. The actual program may be against it, but I'm not sure.
Im just tossing out ideas that pop in my head...obviously I have no background in the types of skills necessary to make such a thing happen.

On the topic of the terms of use... is it prohibited to create an avatar in the likeness of an existing character or only to match the likeness with the copyrighted name from the show?
As in could I make an exact replica of Picard for example and name him Fred or Bob?
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Quote:
Im just tossing out ideas that pop in my head...obviously I have no background in the types of skills necessary to make such a thing happen.

On the topic of the terms of use... is it prohibited to create an avatar in the likeness of an existing character or only to match the likeness with the copyrighted name from the show?
As in could I make an exact replica of Picard for example and name him Fred or Bob?
I'm pretty sure you cannot make an exact replica of any protected character no matter what you name him. This is not limited to Star Trek characters. You aren't even allowed to create cyclops from X-Men, or anything else you can think of .
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-07-2010, 05:02 PM
Thats probably something they wont be prone to call you on but needed to throw it in the TOS for legal reasons.
That way if the dude who plays cyclops happens to be playing STO while you are and complains cryptic cant be liable.

I've seen quite a few toons that are based on other characters or people....from Pam Anderson to Yoda
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Thats probably something they wont be prone to call you on but needed to throw it in the TOS for legal reasons.
That way if the dude who plays cyclops happens to be playing STO while you are and complains cryptic cant be liable.

I've seen quite a few toons that are based on other characters or people....from Pam Anderson to Yoda
In any case, Cryptic has the right to remove that character, force you to change its appearance, maybe even suspend your account. Are they going to track each character to see if it is breaking the rules? Probably not, but if someone reports it then you may have a problem on your hands.