Lt. Commander
# 11
07-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekhan
Better to judge people on the content of their posts rather than the volume.
As a guy with over 11k posts on the CoH forums, I agree. Having a post count just makes for forums games where people pad post counts. I've never found post counts constructive.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-06-2010, 06:43 PM
tbh I don't believe it is necessary. Day after day in various topics I see the same names. It is pretty obvious who the major contributors on the forums are, good and bad.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Hear, Hear.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Guess i just hate to hear someone ask "You're new here, right?" :p

But then again, someone who has a high post count would think twice before doing something that might get him/her banned.

PS: And a question.. why cryptic folks reply on my threads when they're not that important as this one, and all the threads i make suggesting new game mechanics or other interesting stuff get overlooked
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-06-2010, 07:51 PM
Quote:
While I never really liked you Rekhan, I do agree with you on this issue. Post count is meaningless.
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruivo

But then again, someone who has a high post count would think twice before doing something that might get him/her banned.

PS: And a question.. why cryptic folks reply on my threads when they're not that important as this one, and all the threads i make suggesting new game mechanics or other interesting stuff get overlooked
I have often wondered this myself. I will not posit a theory since I think anyone with any degree of intellect already knows why...or at least has some accurate thoughts on the subject.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekkameron View Post
Having a post count merely makes people spam more.
+ 1
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-06-2010, 08:01 PM
Quote:

I would've thought the Join Date (appears under your avatar on the left side) would be sufficient? Plus people can go to your profile and view all your individual posts. The tools are there. And as others have said, why does it matter how many posts you've made? It's what you've said that is more important.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-07-2010, 04:27 AM
Quote:
Hmm. I wonder what happened to my thread suggesting a "reputation system". (vBulletin supports such a thing). E.g. i see a good post, I give out "rep". This would be judging people on the content of their posts, and can help find "good posts" in the sea of posts.
(vBulletin also has the option for "negrep", but it can be disabled and that would certainly be better for a forum like this.)
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-07-2010, 04:35 AM
Quote:
Can post counting be enabled somewhere? I belive that it is important to have it so that everyone knows who are the people who contribute the most with the forum.
i disagree, do you rate each persons individual post by how many they have done in total.

does a newbie have feedback less important than someone who has been here a year.

post counts dont track the difference between constructive posts and trolling, it does not track the difference between a 100 posts half a page long and 10'000 posts of one line answers and jokes.

Judge each post on its merits alone and not on the person who posted it.