Lt. Commander
To the moderators: I don't know what is the correct forum to post this on, but it is pretty major news in the gaming world and (I think) worth discussion.

Link:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...Id=25626109041

While I can understand Blizzard's motivation in this (using real names on a forum has a real effect on how people behave), this is a really bad idea. The Internet is full of crazies, and the Blizzard forums get read by a very large number of people. As someone who can be uniquely identified by my real name, I will absolutely not be posting on their forums ever again (I don't play a Blizzard game right now, but will be purchasing Blizzard games in the future).
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
A thread about this was posted and locked only about an hour ago.

Ten forward would be the correct place i guess.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benfea View Post
To the moderators: I don't know what is the correct forum to post this on, but it is pretty major news in the gaming world and (I think) worth discussion.

Link:
http://forums.battle.net/thread.html...Id=25626109041

While I can understand Blizzard's motivation in this (using real names on a forum has a real effect on how people behave), this is a really bad idea. The Internet is full of crazies, and the Blizzard forums get read by a very large number of people. As someone who can be uniquely identified by my real name, I will absolutely not be posting on their forums ever again (I don't play a Blizzard game right now, but will be purchasing Blizzard games in the future).
I heard about this today as well. It's going to get really interesting. I'm guessing someone will get killed before it's all over because the only two types of people who REALLY stir up trouble are the loudmouth "S" talkers who know no one will ever know who they are and the CRAZY IDIOT who will do anything to stamp out someone who ****es them off. When one meets the other some idiot will find out where you live and come after you. Best of luck WoW, was nice knowing ya, lol.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
I hope this is not something that catches on.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-06-2010, 06:31 PM
I believe stormshade posted earlier today, something to the affect that "this is something that cryptic isnt planning on doing anytime soon" in another thread about this.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=166318

The thread is closed. I only posted so you could confirm stormshades reply.
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-06-2010, 06:42 PM
Wont the trolls just use fake names and game cards?
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
It's a very bad idea because two names are not equal. My real name is so unusual that anyone on the internet can search it and get a map to my house along with a satellite view. Someone named John Smith is essentially anonymous whether using his real name or not.

This change by Blizzard is just about the most assinine thing I've ever heard. It penalizes people with unusual name combinations and does nothing for the Joneses, Smiths, etc.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-06-2010, 07:02 PM
This is scary, honestly. Considering all the issues with identity theft among other things, some of us actually do our best to protect our online identity, and something like this is totally against that. I can just imagine some ****ed off tank going to actually kill a healer that screwed up a raid because they found the real name and real location with a little googling.

I certainly hope Cryptic never does anything like this.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-06-2010, 07:06 PM
" they're out to get you Barbara ...... "

Lt. Commander
# 10
07-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Shouldn't this be discussed on the WoW forums and not here on the STO forums?
Closed Thread