Lt. Commander
# 31
01-23-2011, 07:20 PM
gentle bump to keep things active in this thread. I've already recieved several /signed requests for sticky for this
Lt. Commander
# 32
01-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Guide updated with important information regarding equipment giving +skill to captains who equip them on their ships.

Man I love them new Aegis
Lt. Commander
# 33
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
Thanks you for the info with Aegis and with the skill points from initial traits. Back to the mathematical drawing board...
Lt. Commander
# 34
01-29-2011, 07:00 AM
requesting sticky
Lt. Commander
# 35
01-30-2011, 12:14 PM
I was reading a different thread about shields, and the formula it used to determine what the shield power or resistance was doing...

Quote:
The formula is: 1 - (100/(100 + Resist value)). (This gives a fractional value, multiply it with 100 to get a percentage.) So an armor mod of +50 gives only about 33 % of resistance.
Do you think skill values are figured out in a similar way? Something like 1 - (100/(100 + skill value)) And would the mathematics change your guide to points at all?
Lt. Commander
# 36
01-30-2011, 02:01 PM
I myself have been using a similar system once I figured out the net gains. I pretty much only spend no more than 6 points in any tier 1 skill, with the exception of Warp Core Theorist... just due to the power lvl boost, no matter how small.

At later levels I tend to max out at 9s for the most important skills (Spacial anomaly for my gravity well, or tricobalt, anti-proton, Hull repair...ect) and I ALWAYS max out my captaining skills, as maneuverability is just about one of the MOST important game mechanic in my opinion.

Possibly the only mid level skills I tend to max out is 'efficiency' and 'performance' skills. I take these skills with EVERY captain I play, despite NOT being engineers or in cruisers. The boost to important skills, and ship power levels is PARAMOUNT to the success of ANY decent build.

With all the points I save in NOT maxing out every skill... I am receiving more than a +30 bonus in just about every single ship/BO/captain ability I possess! Thats phenomenal considering that even doubling up on consoles wont get you that good of a bonus!

Sure, you can do that extra 2 points of dps with your torps, or you can drain 4 more points of shields with your tachyon beam... or you can spend those points to heal 150 more shields with emergency power to shields, or gain 5 more points to your engine power, or...

See what I mean?

Diversity is the key to success in my opinion.
Lt. Commander
# 37
01-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Excellent article! I sign for sticky.
Lt. Commander
# 38
02-01-2011, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimer View Post
Do you think skill values are figured out in a similar way? Something like 1 - (100/(100 + skill value)) And would the mathematics change your guide to points at all?
Cryptic's rather cryptic skillmath doesnt match the formula you gave me. Its more of a direct percentage from the total captain skill bonus applied to base BOff power effect.

Even then, some BOff powers are only affected via duration, magnitude, etc, and some are even reliant upon your current ship power at that moment (like many, many sci BOff powers on Aux, and EP-to-<SYSTEM> powers on their respective ship power levels).

Basically, I'm just showing how much you can save without inferring a major malus to your skill bonus totals. The math beyond the skill bonus towards actual ingame numbers is beyond me, due to too many variables that are unknown to the community as a whole.

Cryptic's always been very cryptic about their math, which makes for horrible theorycrafting.
Lt. Commander
# 39
02-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazumaKat
Cryptic's rather cryptic skillmath doesnt match the formula you gave me. Its more of a direct percentage from the total captain skill bonus applied to base BOff power effect.

Even then, some BOff powers are only affected via duration, magnitude, etc, and some are even reliant upon your current ship power at that moment (like many, many sci BOff powers on Aux, and EP-to-<SYSTEM> powers on their respective ship power levels).

Basically, I'm just showing how much you can save without inferring a major malus to your skill bonus totals. The math beyond the skill bonus towards actual ingame numbers is beyond me, due to too many variables that are unknown to the community as a whole.

Cryptic's always been very cryptic about their math, which makes for horrible theorycrafting.
I have been considering transferring a bunch of chars to tribble and spend a point each respec to see how skills effect powers for each point invested, but it would be a long and tedious process that I just don't have time for now. Surprised someone hasn't done this yet though. I know someone out there must have too much time on their hands :p
Lt. Commander
# 40
02-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KazumaKat

Very good -- thank you for checking into it!