Lt. Commander
# 11
07-07-2010, 04:20 AM
If cryptic does this You wont see me post on here any more like alot of other people i wont take a chance on some one using my name in identity thieft it is a idiotic idea so Please Cryptic do not follow them Its not like u dont have our real names from our accounts but that is confidentul and should be here on forums as well.
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Sounds like Blizzard is taking an extreme step to stave off forum griefing.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-07-2010, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Sounds like Blizzard is taking an extreme step to stave off forum griefing.
So you're saying WoW is DOOOOOOOOMed?
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-07-2010, 05:31 AM
I think its in the unwritten forum rules that gloom and doom must reign. It is unwritten of course because someone would flame it.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-07-2010, 05:38 AM
I think it is awful the Blizzard is taking such an approach, and I'd pull all support for Cryptic if they did so here.

I agree with one person who said the words 'anytime soon' is a bit troubling. I would have much preferred 'never.'

On the plus said, I agree with props to Cryptic for doing the Multi-Character / Single Friend system.

Peace,
Sky
Lt. Commander
# 16
07-07-2010, 05:41 AM
Lol, the Real Name is used on the friends list, not on the forums. If you befriend someone you'll see their real name, but unless they/you accept nobody can see it. Stop over reacting.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-07-2010, 05:53 AM
If this gets done in STO, I will sue to have all records of my dealings with Cryptic removed from their servers, with proof that they have.

Having been a previous victim of ID, this is no laughing matter to me, and as such I strongly urge that no such action or even an inkling of said action be taken.

If I even hear of something potentially like this being done for STO or any MMO I have had previous dealings with, I will not hesitate to call my lawyer. I'm well within my rights to do so if I feel my legal status and safety is threatened.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-07-2010, 05:54 AM
Lol dude, calm down! Your post almost sounds like a threat!

We have a thread about this and the ComRep has already posted a statement regarding Cryptic's plans. Keep in mind that Blizzard's plan has stirred up quite a controversy and that we need to see how this is going on in the future. IF this system works and is widely accepted it is possible that other companies will adapt the system - Cryptic included. That's why Cryptic stated "not anytime soon". They are just waiting to see what happens to Blizzard and it's community. For now, they just can't say a definite "no", because no one knows what the future brings.

EDIT:
It looks like it's only visible for your friends:
Quote:
Real Names for Friends Your Real ID friends will appear under their real-life names on your friends list, alongside whatever characters they're playing. Gone are the days of having to remember which of your friends is which. You'll also see your friends' real names when chatting, communicating in-game, or viewing their character's profile.
Source: http://us.battle.net/realid/

Mods:
Close this thread please.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-07-2010, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiuz
Lol dude, calm down! Your post almost sounds like a threat!

We have a thread about this and the ComRep has already posted a statement regarding Cryptic's plans. Keep in mind that Blizzard's plan has stirred up quite a controversy and that we need to see how this is going on in the future. IF this system works and is widely accepted it is possible that other companies will adapt the system - Cryptic included. That's why Cryptic stated "not anytime soon". They are just waiting to see what happens to Blizzard and it's community. For now, they just can't say a definite "no", because no one knows what the future brings.

EDIT:
It looks like it's only visible for your friends:

Source: http://us.battle.net/realid/
Not the whole story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard
The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of ******** site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. The classic Battle.net forums, including those for Diablo II and ******** III, will be moving to a new legacy forum section with the release of the StarCraft II community site and at that time will also transition to using Real ID for posting.
At least, according to what one person on the forums claims to have been told, Blizzard isn't going the way that I think would be most likely to land them in legal trouble. At least people will be able to avoid this by terminating their relationships with Blizzard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some person on the forums, post 17 in the above-linked thread
I just got off the phone with Blizzard's Technical Support (nice gentleman who helped answer my questions by the way) so now I feel a bit more secure about making this post. Also the 30 minute hold time gave me a few moments to gather my thoughts so I can speak thoughtfully without fear or anger leaking through.

Before I voice my opinion I will state that I have a recorded converstion from a Blizzard employee saying that the posts made today and before the new Real ID system goes into place on these forums WILL NOT show our information. Only posts made after Real ID is put into the forums will have this information.
That post also brings up a good point that the feature will make it easier for the *******s among the population to single out and target players based on gender.

I really don't think any good will come of this so I'd prefer a solid 'never' from Cryptic.

Of course asking MarCom to say what they mean and mean what they say is always a naive and fruitless pursuit.
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
who cares .....

need to keep the pookahs with no self control off of the forums ... this is not a bad idea.

.make it so.
Closed Thread