Lt. Commander
I was thinking that what could be missing from our game experience is the kind of situations that the weekly TV episodes used to present the crews. If something like this could be added to the game I think it would create a real sense of fun and community.

I realize how much time and writing effort goes into those shows, but then we would not have to have an hour's worth of high drama and dialogue, only the basic plot elements of a typical TNG or VOY or ENT episode.

for instance:
You suddenly receive a mission that involves destroying Omega Particle research being conducted by some rogue scientist or planet. The mission could involve multiple space and ground encounters and even a moral choice at the end to negotiate the end of the dangerous research, or just kill everyone and destroy the facility. Then a final encounter with a borg ship trying to obtain the particle for the Collective.

or

a ship from the past arrives in the present, altering the timeline. you have to fight along side this weaker ship to restore the timeline, or beam over to fight off borders, repair the ship and send it back (perhaps to its doom) to restore the timeline.

Essentially, all this would be is randomly released missions with a bit more story and action that makes it feel like we are all "living out a TV episode" at least in a small way. This would be a lot less work than something like the Terradrome, but more substantial and engaging than what we currently have for explore missions.

anyone think this might work?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
We're getting weekly plot missions - that form 4-5 episode story arcs.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-07-2010, 01:05 PM
What do you call Kuvah'Magh, City on the Edge of Never, and basically all the Lt level missions, not to mention The New Link, that mission on Empok Nor, and a bunch of others scattered throughout the game?
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP3CTREnyc
What do you call Kuvah'Magh, City on the Edge of Never, and basically all the Lt level missions, not to mention The New Link, that mission on Empok Nor, and a bunch of others scattered throughout the game?
i think the OP is getting at more complex stories, more role play and more episodes that resemble the feel of the shows with more moral choices, ethical dilemmas, strange mysterious things goings on over the mindless shootings. the current ones follow the action feel and tend to lack a little on the story side of things. at least i feel that.
some of the episodes are very good but i think the conversations could be a little sharper at times, and they could try and use more science fiction concepts and situations.

ghost ship, that holodeck one and city on the edge of never are great examples of how it can be done but they are outnumbered by the more generic kill everything eps, just build on those stories