Lt. Commander
Hello, I am somewhat new to the game and I have some questions about bridge officers specifically. I would really appreciate it if some more experienced players could answer these questions. Thank you!

1. Is there any way to retrain or change your bridge officer's racial skills and abilities that are randomly generated when the bridge officer is created? For example, if I had a Vulcan Bridge Officer and wanted to change their "Basic Luck" passive ability to "Basic Mind Meld", would I be able to do that?

2. Assuming the answer to the first question above is "No", I've actually been thinking for a while now that Vulcan Bridge Officers that have both the "Mind Meld" and "Nerve Pinch" racial skills would actually be pretty useful, assuming the AI actively uses those skills in combat. Do computer controlled Vulcan Bridge Officers use those racial skills like Mind Meld and Nerve Pinch in combat? If so, is it even possible to get a Vulcan Bridge Officer with both Mind Meld and Nerve Pinch as two of their racial skills? I've looked through the Bridge Officer listings on both the Bridge Officer Requisition NPC and the Exchange many times and I've never seen a single Vulcan Bridge Officer with both the Nerve Pinch and Mind Meld skills, so I'm thinking it's probably not possible to get a Vulcan bridge officer with both those racial skills.

3. Besides the Borg officers of course... is there any really unique/rare bridge officers obtainable in the game anywhere? By doing a particular mission or something like that, perhaps? Even though it's pretty cliche and I'm sure I'm not the first person to say this, but I am hoping for an Android Bridge Officer to be obtainable somewhere, sooner or later lol. Are there any "storyline bridge officers" in the game so far? Like, for example, characters that actually have unique names and backgrounds that end up offering to join your crew or something after finishing their mission? I was really hoping for something like that but so far, all I've seen are randomly generated generic bridge officers.

4. Is there any NPC in some starbase somewhere that sells "rare" quality or "very rare" quality bridge officers? Is there any cheap or easy way of obtaining rare and/or very rare quality bridge officers? I see the very rare bridge officers listed in the Exchange for hundreds of thousands of energy credits and I know from past experiences in MMO's that, avoiding buying things from other players is usually the best thing anyone can do in an MMO, especially if they don't know what they should be paying for something and the stereotypical Auction House setup that's so common in MMO's now is usually full of extreme price gouging and scams. So yeah, I'm sure the answer is yes, but would I be a real idiot for spending 800.000 credits on a single very rare bridge officer simply because I can't find one of the race/gender combo I want for less than that ?

Okay, I believe that is all of my Bridge Officer questions for now, thank you for your time. I would be eternally grateful to anyone who can accurately answer these questions for me. Thank you!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-08-2010, 09:57 AM
About unique BOFFs, there are three so far. The Female Liberated Borg Engineer you mentioned, a Male Photonic Science Officer from the referral program, and a Male Borg Science Officer from obtaining a certain accolade during the "Khitomer Accords" Special Task Force later in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-08-2010, 11:21 AM
1) No

2) Afraid I don't know the answer to this one. I know for a long while bridge officers did not use innate trait abilities, not sure if that's been fixed yet, nor am I aware of the possible traits on vulcan boffs in particular.

3) DekuScrubby pretty much got this one, but there is one other type of bridge officer that could be considered unique. The uncommon-quality Saurian bridge officers (regardless of career) have a chance of having the only space-trait among boffs: Efficient (the same one on the Female Liberated Borg Engineer)..

4) At this time, no, only commons are sold. Season 2 promises ways to acquire more "random" boffs, but at this time I don't think anyone is aware of the specifics on how this will work.

Honestly, traits won't have that major an impact on ground combat (which is primarily where they take effect), especially in end-game content where you can't bring your bridge officers into play. Where the rare and very rare boffs come into play is the availability of rank 3 abilities. Some of the lieutenant commander and commander abilities can only be acquired by using a rare or very rare to train one of your existing bridge officers (or recruiting that particular officer, of course). If you aren't lucky enough to get an officer with an ability you want from your level-up rewards, then you'll have to buy one off the Exchange that has this ability (unless the Season 2 availability changes this).

Examples of abilities you can only get from rares and very rares:
Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity Field III (pretty much a must for any Cruiser build designed to hull tank)
Viral Matrix III
Reverse Shield Polarity III
Cannon Scatter Volley III
Dispersal Pattern Beta III
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-08-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiDragoon View Post
1) No

2) Afraid I don't know the answer to this one. I know for a long while bridge officers did not use innate trait abilities, not sure if that's been fixed yet, nor am I aware of the possible traits on vulcan boffs in particular.

3) DekuScrubby pretty much got this one, but there is one other type of bridge officer that could be considered unique. The uncommon-quality Saurian bridge officers (regardless of career) have a chance of having the only space-trait among boffs: Efficient (the same one on the Female Liberated Borg Engineer)..

4) At this time, no, only commons are sold. Season 2 promises ways to acquire more "random" boffs, but at this time I don't think anyone is aware of the specifics on how this will work.

Honestly, traits won't have that major an impact on ground combat (which is primarily where they take effect), especially in end-game content where you can't bring your bridge officers into play. Where the rare and very rare boffs come into play is the availability of rank 3 abilities. Some of the lieutenant commander and commander abilities can only be acquired by using a rare or very rare to train one of your existing bridge officers (or recruiting that particular officer, of course). If you aren't lucky enough to get an officer with an ability you want from your level-up rewards, then you'll have to buy one off the Exchange that has this ability (unless the Season 2 availability changes this).

Examples of abilities you can only get from rares and very rares:
Auxiliary Power to Structural Integrity Field III (pretty much a must for any Cruiser build designed to hull tank)
Viral Matrix III
Reverse Shield Polarity III
Cannon Scatter Volley III
Dispersal Pattern Beta III
Thank you for the helpful answers! Sounds like it's not really necessary to replace bridge officers with very rare BO's at Admiral either. Good to know. That's kind of disappointing though, that BO's are not used in end game content, especially when they seem to preform so much better than most players I've grouped with for ground missions do...