Lt. Commander
# 91
03-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadehorde View Post
Maybe more in the line of short term gains. Given the timeframe of the device in question, and the Fed's holier than thou approach to timetravel (and yet being the beneficiary on several occasions) it's a fair assessment.
I’m not sure I follow. Do you mean timeframe as in because it’s from the future? Because if so that would be a reason for the Federation not to develop technology derived from it at all let alone engage in a legal battle for the right to do so. And still doesn’t explain how any new field of scientific research can be thought of as “short term”.
Short term implies that the gains have some expiration date. How can that be predicted about any field of reputable science let alone one with the type of potential and wide reaching applications of this one has?
Lt. Commander
# 92
03-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaltyrant View Post
Ok, first I havnt read all forum post.
apparently the game wont follow any continuity with the books because with the destiny triliogy the borg were ....changed to a race that will help people instead of assimilating them. (if you havnt read it do so )all traces of borg implants disapperead from seven at the end of the series.

now it is not impossible for the original borg to return in some way ...this is star trek after all
Well don't forget that while Cryptic said that they would be incorporating some ideas from the pocket novels, they did say that they were going to pick and choose. They clearly made a decision that they want the Borg to be the current big bad guys for everyone, regardless of faction. While the Destiny series are very well written and have the best suggestion for the creation, and even destruction, of the Borg I've seen yet (though it was slightly Deus Ex Machin-ish), it doesn't mesh with the universe that Cryptic wants to make. So they'll take small details from those books, probably include mostly stuff from the TNG relaunch series and the Titan series, but don't expect much Destiny to go in there.
Lt. Commander
# 93
03-19-2009, 08:37 PM
I love the interview format and look forward to more updates. And, like most of us here, agree that disbanding the anti-Borg taskforce was just asking for trouble. I do wonder that, in the case that 7 of 9 doesn't make an appearance, will we see her children? I mean, last I heard she was starting a relationship with Chakoaty (can't remember how to spell it). For that matter, I wonder if Cryptic will throw in any other sons/daughters of our favorite characters. Hmm.... Just food for thought. (I hoped I said that right.)
Lt. Commander
# 94
03-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenblade View Post
Well don't forget that while Cryptic said that they would be incorporating some ideas from the pocket novels, they did say that they were going to pick and choose. They clearly made a decision that they want the Borg to be the current big bad guys for everyone, regardless of faction. While the Destiny series are very well written and have the best suggestion for the creation, and even destruction, of the Borg I've seen yet (though it was slightly Deus Ex Machin-ish), it doesn't mesh with the universe that Cryptic wants to make. So they'll take small details from those books, probably include mostly stuff from the TNG relaunch series and the Titan series, but don't expect much Destiny to go in there.
Last time I checked, Paramount didn't let anyone dictate how the Star Trek universe was shaped without their approval, and they are pretty strict about things meshing together.
Lt. Commander
# 95
03-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.watson View Post
Last time I checked, Paramount didn't let anyone dictate how the Star Trek universe was shaped without their approval, and they are pretty strict about things meshing together.
I would love to see alot of paramounts fingers/money in this game. It would be amazing seeing what cryptic could do, and heck what shows/series could be the product of such an action
Lt. Commander
# 96
03-19-2009, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.watson View Post
Ok. That's pretty much a given for anyone who has even some kind of understanding of canon and canon policy. No one ever said STO was going to be canon or officially endorsed by Paramount as such. It's fairly common knowledge that STO will not be canon, and therefore can choose whatever storyline they want to assemble in creating the game. Granted, they will have to deal with Paramount in getting the rights to use all of their intellectual property (which they probably already have, seeing as how there's even an STO moving forward at all), but they still have creative license over their own game. To use a sad example, there's no way anyone seriously considers Legacy canon, yet it was still made without Paramount having a problem. Don't forget that the canon policy still applies only to the movies and shows, though I'll admit I wish they would endorse some books (like Titan and others), and STO if it proves popular and retains the quality of the storyline so far.
Lt. Commander
# 97
03-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Starfleet needs to wake up. if they dont Prepare for the borg then VERY BAD THINGS HAPPEN. When I read this Interview it personally reminded me of a certain clip of a TNG episode...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0LFX...eature=related

You wont be dissapointed.
Lt. Commander
# 98
03-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Nice one, I like it. Not too sure who Alivet is, I avoid these forums as much as possible. :p But a <3 for her anyway. Just don't tell my wife. I already get in trouble for giving a <3 to CO too often.

...and sam axe and denny crane and dean winchester and bsg and golf and candy and mcdonalds.
Lt. Commander
# 99
03-19-2009, 11:24 PM
sweet, does this mean i get to pay 15$ a month to see 7of9 up close and personal? damn, too bad im gonna be a klingon
Lt. Commander
# 100
03-20-2009, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awen
Actually, Alivet wrote this. She's fantastically talented and you will see more of this from her.
Well then, thank you Alivet! More, please!

Pick a character, any character -- there must be so many stories to be told between the end of Star Trek: Nemesis and 2409.

Cheers,

KOS