Lt. Commander
# 21
07-14-2010, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by primalspark View Post
So, basically, what you (and others) are saying is put up and shut up?

Well, that is a flawed theory because whilst they concentrate on the "greater" number of players, they cause other players to become disgruntled and annoyed that their play time is ALWAYS affected. I understand Cryptic can't accomodate everyone's needs, however they have to realise what affect fixed maintenance times are having on players whose prime gaming time is within these maintenance windows.

All I'm suggesting is that they consider performing the odd maintenance schedule or two at a time that does not consistently affect the same players within that time frame.
Welcome to how online business works.

Not to be blunt but thinking they are going to bring the servers down during prime time for the majority of players is not ever going to happen (unless it crashes). This would stir up a HUGE problem and cause massive qq threads to be created. It also makes no business sense to do so.
Lt. Commander
# 22
07-14-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm well aware of how the industry works (having spent a decade in IT), however, any online business I have participated in tended to be a little more flexible, ensuring fairness to everyone.

And I'm not suggesting that they perform these maintenance schedules during prime time periods of the majority of players catered for. There are 24 hours in a day, and I'm sure there are other off-peak times for North America and Europe that DON'T consistently coincide with the peak-times of other nations.

All I'm suggesting is an occassional change in scheduled maintenance times to promote fairness to all players, and not ostracise any particular group of players.
Lt. Commander
# 23
07-14-2010, 05:58 AM
Quote:
I'm well aware of how the industry works (having spent a decade in IT), however, any online business I have participated in tended to be a little more flexible, ensuring fairness to everyone.

And I'm not suggesting that they perform these maintenance schedules during prime time periods of the majority of players catered for. There are 24 hours in a day, and I'm sure there are other off-peak times for North America and Europe that DON'T consistently coincide with the peak-times of other nations.

All I'm suggesting is an occassional change in scheduled maintenance times to promote fairness to all players, and not ostracise any particular group of players.
Suggest this to players in game and on the forums during peek US/EU times and trust me.. you won't get the nice response you think you'd get. Fair or not, it's how it is =\
Lt. Commander
# 24
07-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askray View Post
Suggest this to players in game and on the forums during peek US/EU times and trust me.. you won't get the nice response you think you'd get. Fair or not, it's how it is =\
I'm not looking for a nice response, and it's not up to the players to make these scheduled maintenance times fair, it's up to the developers of the game.

You are obviously missing the entire point of my posting in relation to these maintenance times. I'm not suggesting a permanent change OR changing maintenance times to peak hour times in North America or Europe. I'm only suggesting an occassional change to these times, not a permanent one.

All I'm saying is that it is unfair how one particular group of people are consistantly restricted from playing the game during the peak hour times in their region due to maintenance.
Lt. Commander
# 25
07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
Quote:
I'm not looking for a nice response, and it's not up to the players to make these scheduled maintenance times fair, it's up to the developers of the game.

You are obviously missing the entire point of my posting in relation to these maintenance times. I'm not suggesting a permanent change OR changing maintenance times to peak hour times in North America or Europe. I'm only suggesting an occassional change to these times, not a permanent one.

All I'm saying is that it is unfair how one particular group of people are consistantly restricted from playing the game during the peak hour times in their region due to maintenance.
Actually I understood you 100%. My point is though even an occasional change would stir up an insane amount of QQ, like those in AU and such that get the downtime during their time, but except it would be about 100 times worse since it'd be during prime play time for the majority of players.

And you're right, it's not up to the players NOR is it up to the developers.

It's up to the execs. And again, this is a business. While it may not be fair, having even occasional downtime (that's scheduled) during peek hours when the majority of your player base is on would start MASSIVE rioting.