Lt. Commander
# 1 Why Do You Love Star Trek?
07-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I know its a pretty broad question and could have many answers but in a nutshell why do you love Star Trek.

I have always been a fan of science fiction but i think i enjoy star trek the most because of its huge range of topics it can cover.

If you watch House or CSI or 24, you know what its going to be about. There is some movement in the stories but its always going to be about medicine, or dead bodies or terrorists.

Star Trek can do stories on anything and everything from love stories, to war, to time travel to modern day events told with a twist. There are a hundred other reasons but that is it the main reason for me.

So what is it about star trek that you love?
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-09-2010, 01:45 PM
The ships.

Don't get me wrong, the stories are all well and good, but it was the refit Enterprise in TMP that had me hooked.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-09-2010, 01:57 PM
The sappy dream of a better tomorrow. Science fictions of continual conflict, continued poverty and oppression, and interstellar wars are all over. Star Trek is different. There are conflicts in Star Trek, but they always end on a path to peace and understanding between the two sides. There is supposedly no poverty in Star Trek and the Federation is a beacon of hope and freedom in the galaxy.

Basically I love Star Trek because it shows that one day we can rise above petty avarice and hatred and just get along and build a better tomorrow.

Totally unexpected coming from me.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-09-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm always a sucker for a good sci-fi franchise with a huge track record involving few hiccups. Star Wars and Aliens vs Predator seem to be having too many unforgivable hiccups these days.

I like that space feels massive, infinite and unexplored in Star Trek. It has a sense of awe and wonder and makes you feel humbly small as a human where Star Wars seems to have a billion planets in one back yard, and larger than life super heroes as opposed to truely humanistic stories. Now that Im an adult, naval style combat seems cooler than laser swords and matrix ninjas to me.

The biggest trump for Trek over wars though... Trek has universal Translators, Wars has Boo-boo poo-doo baby language you have to read subtitles to. Its F'n baby talk.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-09-2010, 02:04 PM
i liek it cause beverly crusher is hawt
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
I knew there was a reason I deleted that toon.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintHazard View Post
Here is Beverly Crushinator.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
But I love him, Pa.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-09-2010, 04:33 PM
I watched Enterprise on Sci-Fi, for the most part, back in 2005 and 2006 and TOS when it was on at 7AM on TV Land. I didn't get hooked 'till Spike started running Voyager in 2006, or at least thats the year my dad discovered on our cable anyway. I got caught up in the story plot and wanted to see what would happen. About this same time, I started getting up a 6 AM to watch TOS when TV Land pushed it back.

More or less, I loved to episode plots and how they progressed. Some were serious and some were flat out hilarious at the best of times. They'd make me smile and laugh whenever I'd watch 'em.

Truly the only ships that have caught my imagination were the Consititutions, Intrepids, and Ambassadors. So I can't say much on that the ships are why I like Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstein View Post
The sappy dream of a better tomorrow. Science fictions of continual conflict, continued poverty and oppression, and interstellar wars are all over. Star Trek is different. There are conflicts in Star Trek, but they always end on a path to peace and understanding between the two sides. There is supposedly no poverty in Star Trek and the Federation is a beacon of hope and freedom in the galaxy.

Basically I love Star Trek because it shows that one day we can rise above petty avarice and hatred and just get along and build a better tomorrow.

Totally unexpected coming from me.
+1000

I completely agree, I think it also questions our own values and culture from a third perspective. I think it's brilliant how they go back in time and basically do commentary on the faults of modern society, one of the scenes that come directly to mind is Kirk in ST IV when they go back to the latter half of the 20th century.

"Remember, this is a primitive and paraniod culture..."