Lt. Commander
# 1 graphics card
07-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Anyone having problems with their graphics card that started lately? I have. Got a ATI Radeon 4650 that has been doing really well til recently. Must be the weather or something. Any ideas? Thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
Anyone having problems with their graphics card that started lately? I have. Got a ATI Radeon 4650 that has been doing really well til recently. Must be the weather or something. Any ideas? Thanks
Do you have any way to measure the tempurature the card is operating at when running STO ? I could be a GPU thermaling issue (ie your card is overheating and stepping down in performance as a result).
Lt. Commander
# 3 Thanks
07-10-2010, 05:37 AM
I think I got it fixed. All I had to do was re-install Windows 7 for the Vista upgrade, then un-install all the drivers and software for the Card, then re-install al the software and drivers. Sounds easy. It really was not easy. Took most of the day. But it does appear to be working just fine now. Yes it does get really warm sometimes. At times I hang my Laptop half off the table to get better ventilation and that cools it off. May be if I cut a square hole in the table ... LOL SeeYa
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-10-2010, 07:00 AM
LAPTOP! there's 99% of your problem. Just because a laptop can sort of run STO (or any other game for that matter) does not mean you should. Laptops are not made to handle the heat or processing needed to run games. Even "gaming" laptops are not particularly good at heat management.

Games on a laptop = dead laptop in almost every case.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayenn
LAPTOP! there's 99% of your problem. Just because a laptop can sort of run STO (or any other game for that matter) does not mean you should. Laptops are not made to handle the heat or processing needed to run games. Even "gaming" laptops are not particularly good at heat management.

Games on a laptop = dead laptop in almost every case.
love sig video i lol'd
Lt. Commander
# 6 Update
07-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Make sure you grafics cards drives are uptodate. Sometime rolling them back have worked as well. STO is not laptop frnedly.
Lt. Commander
# 7 laptop
07-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I use what I got. Maybe one day...
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixlr8 View Post
I use what I got. Maybe one day...
You will want to be very conservative with "what you got" or you won't have it anymore.

The heat issues with laptops and gaming burn out motherboards and integrated video cards pretty quickly. The least you want to do is get a USB powered laptop cooler that blows right on the places where your CPU and GPU are. I highly recommend this one. The fans blow pretty good and they can be moved around to match the needs of any lappy. Ideal you should be using a laptop for gaming in a walk in freezer.