Lt. Commander
Hi everyone!

I wanted to let you know we’re going to be changing some things in the technical support area of the forums very soon. To start with, we’re not going to have the amount of support that we currently do in the PC & Technical Issues forum any longer (Don’t worry, coderanger doesn’t do tickets!). We’re going to be taking some of the individuals who have been helping you here and utilizing them to provide faster turnaround times for your support tickets. So, you may not see as many Dev posts here. You will always be able to find official support by filing a technical support ticket through our support page, and these changes are meant to reduce the amount of time players are waiting for those tickets to be answered.

We’re also proud to announce that we’re going to be recognizing the individuals in the technical support forums who have been here, helping their friends to enjoy STO! There are some great people in the community who have a wealth of knowledge that they’re more than willing to share! We want to recognize their contributions to the community, and point out those individuals on the forums who are consistently providing good, solid peer to peer support for other players of Cryptic Studios’ games. We’re considering several options to recognize those individuals, including special forum titles, and possibly even a private section of the forums to discuss technical issues in. I’ll have more information on this for you all very soon.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-09-2010, 07:08 PM
If it means faster ticket turnaround time, I am all for it. Ticket turnaround times have been awful, lately.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We’re considering several options to recognize those individuals, including special forum titles, and possibly even a private section of the forums to discuss technical issues in. I’ll have more information on this for you all very soon.
Don't mind picking up some of the slack. If you do only one thing to assist here, make it this: set up a wiki with public access, editing for any user with forum posting rights, and just enough GM involvement to ban abusers. Far more useful than another forum, as most tech support problems should be resolved by directing somebody to a well-written article that has been developed from the experiences of supporting the last 50 people who had the same issue.

I've done a lot of free tech support over the years, including a couple of places vastly busier than here, and a thriving wiki of frequently-given answers really is Brooks's silver bullet (more than a factor of ten increase in productivity). It more or less eliminates the endlessly repeated explanations and following discussions of the same issues.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Oh, and if you do a second thing, make it: give people a way to see whether a user has (a) a retail key activated and (b) a currently valid subscription. Because there's a dozen of those people each day, and all they need is the usual explanation. Those two yes/no data points aren't private at all, so it should be straightforward.
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
We’re also proud to announce that we’re going to be recognizing the individuals in the technical support forums who have been here, helping their friends to enjoy STO! There are some great people in the community who have a wealth of knowledge that they’re more than willing to share! We want to recognize their contributions to the community, and point out those individuals on the forums who are consistently providing good, solid peer to peer support for other players of Cryptic Studios’ games. We’re considering several options to recognize those individuals, including special forum titles, and possibly even a private section of the forums to discuss technical issues in.
While I applaud and welcome these efforts, I certainly hope that those chosen for this are not only capable, but proven to be professional in how they handle Cryptic/Atari customers.

Please keep your posts clean. ~GM Tiyshen
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for posting that SojournerX. The last thing we need is a "help" volunteer with that type of attitude. When people come to customer service, they are often upset. I myself have been one of them. :p The last thing they need at the time is to be insulted or "talked down" to.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-11-2010, 10:28 PM
No thanks necessary; it is my pleasure.
It would be most appropriate for you to receive an apology....
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-12-2010, 12:54 AM
I'd also hope that the "help" the "volunteers" tapped for this actually dispense real assistance, rather than make a rubber-stamped advisement to just submit a ticket. (And then pat themselves on the back for "helping".)
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-12-2010, 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SojournerX
No thanks necessary; it is my pleasure.
It would be most appropriate for you to receive an apology....
Somehow, I get the idea that miiru is not the apologizing kind... lol. No matter. Help "after the fact" isnt help, and besides, it was a problem on billing/accounting's end, not mine. Im not sure how a "voluteer" could help with that anyway.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-14-2010, 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromgold View Post
Somehow, I get the idea that miiru is not the apologizing kind... lol. No matter. Help "after the fact" isnt help, and besides, it was a problem on billing/accounting's end, not mine. Im not sure how a "voluteer" could help with that anyway.
Agreed on all points. If a "special section" is created, I certainly hope it's not a volunteer like that who would have access to personal account information. How would a "volunteer" assist in a Billing issue?
Closed Thread