Lt. Commander
I ran across this video of gameplay footage from a Sherlock Holmes game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13YlEPwOfmk

I'm pointing this out specifically because it was a shortcut taken by developers to avoid animating Watson following Homes.

The comparisons made are quite striking. It reminds people of Michael Meyers from Halloween. It reminds people of the Weeping Angels from Dr. Who.

And it's fairly simple. It's basically either a delete and respawn or a porting mechanism for an NPC that is triggered by camera turns. It could be quite doable in STO.

Now... To make this interesting:

Imagine:

- You can ONLY melee the enemy following you. He's immune to phasers. No backing away from him and shooting.

- You are being attacked from all sides. Causing you to WANT to turn away from him to defend yourself.

Star Trek did some creepy episodes like the one with the serial killer aboard Voyager.

Now... Do you want to take this into overdrive?

You beam onto a ship to investigate and the artificial gravity has you upside down. Just a little cinematic trick where you beam in and fall to the ceiling. Then you're running around a foggy, upside down ship interior. And there's this one guy chasing you but you never see him move, even as you're fired on by these phaser turrets mounted everywhere and exocomps with offensive capability.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-10-2010, 02:27 AM
Wow, that'd creep me out a bit. @-@
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-10-2010, 02:33 AM
Um...... can't run the vid because of slow connection.

Anyway, are you talking about enemies doing this, or a way fr the system to handle BO's? I think it could also work for BO's if I'm thinking right. they cause me a lot of needless lag on scanning missions.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavilier210 View Post
Um...... can't run the vid because of slow connection.

Anyway, are you talking about enemies doing this, or a way fr the system to handle BO's? I think it could also work for BO's if I'm thinking right. they cause me a lot of needless lag on scanning missions.
I suggested this as a solution to BOs either dying in an inaccessible place to rez or having a serious pathing issue. (Ie. you get 50 yards distance away from them and they can port in a place where no cameras are pointed.)

It could be used in any number of ways. For example, Borg ambush spawns. (If you've played Star Trek Borg, you've seen there's a horror film "don't your back on anything for long" rule when dealing with Borg in close quarters.) These would behave normally once spawned.

But for maximum creep factor, I'm talking about a specific use for a very tough boss NPC who is incapable of walking and who ONLY travels by porting when nobody is looking, similar to Doctor Who's Weeping Angels. The idea being that your fight with this single NPC should take you 15-30 minutes while running across a ship.

If you want the story behind it as I'd envision it?

A captain takes fifteen first year cadets on a training cruise to study a nebula. While there, the ship's engines and communications relays become damaged. The captain is killed in an accident while trying to repair them. Unsure of what to do and with no access to command codes, the cadets create a hologram of the dead captain. However, their inexperience leads their "makeshift ECH" to be an unstable, paranoid copy of the captain. He accuses the cadets of mutiny, commandeers the ship and stuffs all the cadets into the ship's pattern buffer. You're tasked with figuring out what happened and disabling this insane hologram of the dead captain and restoring the cadets. Very ghost story/horror inspired.

And maybe a diplomatic mission follow-up where you become involved in the holographic captain's trial for his actions back on earth.