Lt. Commander
# 1 Diplomacy and UGC
07-10-2010, 02:38 PM
Hey Cryptic,

After playing a new diplomacy mission on tribble, I'm pretty impressed with what you have accomplished here. They are really awesome.

How easily would these types of missions, dialogue unlocks, etc. translate to a system of UGC?

We could really have a ton of fun with them. Are the tools super complicated, or are these types of missions relatively easier to make, once the story and dialogue is written?

Maybe it would be a great way to get started on some UGC content. Can you give us any insight into the complexities involved, and could something like this be more easily scripted to make it user-friendly in a way that spawns and space battles might not be?

Thanks!
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-10-2010, 02:57 PM
I think they have some solid tech for diplomacy. The branching/failpoint dialogue available right now is perfect and would be great to queue up the next branch of a story-arc.

It'd be cool to see how minigames could be put in UGC missions.

My worry is how the servers will handle UGC being fed to every player (if it's as popular as indicated). Will it eat our game server, the patch server, or would new servers be used to feed UGC to people?
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
seeing how they had UGC in COH/COV i am sure they gonna let players handle typing in their own small scritps and reactions...
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I think they have some solid tech for diplomacy. The branching/failpoint dialogue available right now is perfect and would be great to queue up the next branch of a story-arc.

It'd be cool to see how minigames could be put in UGC missions.

My worry is how the servers will handle UGC being fed to every player (if it's as popular as indicated). Will it eat our game server, the patch server, or would new servers be used to feed UGC to people?
While I can't confirm or deny that we are working on UGC for Season 3, Season 2 introduces new patching technology that allows us to patch only the maps you need on the fly.

For example there are 3000ish exploration systems and prior to Season 2, we have to patch all of those whenever we make changes.

From now on, those maps will be removed from the client patch entirely, and only be pushed to you on the fly when you need them.

This both reduces the client install but allows us to tackle the concern you had about being forced to download tons and tons of maps.

Its hard to imagine sometimes - but we do have plans and schedules and the technology departments internally are working towards some pretty cool stuff down the road.

Lt. Commander
# 5
07-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
While I can't confirm or deny that we are working on UGC for Season 3, Season 2 introduces new patching technology that allows us to patch only the maps you need on the fly.

For example there are 3000ish exploration systems and prior to Season 2, we have to patch all of those whenever we make changes.

From now on, those maps will be removed from the client patch entirely, and only be pushed to you on the fly when you need them.

This both reduces the client install but allows us to tackle the concern you had about being forced to download tons and tons of maps.

Its hard to imagine sometimes - but we do have plans and schedules and the technology departments internally are working towards some pretty cool stuff down the road.

Is this why there may or may not have been UGC icons in the pre-patch files already?

If someone saw them, they looked like a nice step (even if pre-alpha stage).
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-10-2010, 03:13 PM
cool. I can't wait.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Is this why there may or may not have been UGC icons in the pre-patch files already?

If someone saw them, they looked like a nice step (even if pre-alpha stage).
darren u shouldent really snoop in their files its against the eula i think
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
darren u shouldent really snoop in their files its against the eula i think
I didn't say that.

I said there may or may not be.

Besides, you could actually see those files updating on a slower connection/computer via the launcher (it'll list the files in a .hogg when it was doing the prepatch).

Thus, there's a plausible reason that I just watched my launcher very carefully (and I did, since I had to download and update it several times due to the update woes and it not taking the first two times.)
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-10-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
I didn't say that.

I said there may or may not be.

Besides, you could actually see those files updating on a slower connection/computer via the launcher (it'll list the files in a .hogg when it was doing the prepatch).
i think most older players with cryptic allready know how to look and eaven mod files in the cryptic client if they wanted to so dont worry just dont press them to hard hehe
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarjan View Post
i think most older players with cryptic allready know how to look and eaven mod files in the cryptic client if they wanted to so dont worry just dont press them to hard hehe
I won't talk about this on the forum until there's an "it's okay to mod your textures via override folder - just don't cheat or distribute viruses" policy.

Coderanger hinted that you could mod your UI already but didn't elaborate.

A few enterprising people could remove lollipops and blue systems-in-sector-space glows, if such were true. They'd also be able to modify the consoles to have the TNG/DS9/VOY LCARS colors.

However, there's no policy for this and people can't discuss it.

I can imagine almost any texture could be modified if the embargo were lifted.