Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
People say how Enterprise had nothing redeemable and that it ignored social issues like all the previous Trek's tackled. What about episodes like:

Terra Nova where we discover what happened to Earth's first colony and also where we learn that it is important to bridge our differences and find common ground?

Fortunate Son and Horizon where we see what life is like on freighter crews and how they deal with what life throws against their inferior ships?

Dear Doctor where we see the inklings of the Prime Directive and the terrible necessity to make a decision that could end an entire species? Do we have a right to interfere with nature, to impose our will?

Fusion where we deal with the issues of ****, of someone forcing themselves on another human being?

Fallen Hero where we meet another Vulcan who deviates from typical arrogant nature of Vulcans and is willing to learn more about our culture.

Carbon Creek an overall AMAZING episode and also teaches us hope - set in a period where the advanced Vulcans thought that we would destroy ourselves with Nuclear weapons, we advanced and became something greater.

Cease Fire where we learn how bigotry can affect even the most loyal of men and women and how we have to look past our differences to find common ground.

Stigma which continues the season 1 episode Fusion and deals (in its own way) with an allegory to AIDS and the unnatural fear of a disease.

Judgment which teaches us that as unfair as life can be you can still try to fight back and change things.

The Breach teaches us that we cannot hate other races blindly and we must learn to understand other cultures.

And then there are the episodes that are just plain awesome and deliver the goods such as season 2's First Flight - one of THE best episodes of not just Enterprise but Star Trek where we see the trials and tribulations of the NX project while the Vulcans are breathing down our necks.

There are the Andorian episodes that introduce us (finally!) to the awesome Andorian race and a great character, Shran.

There was Civilization, which introduced us to Earth's official "first contact" and dealt with another alien race poisoning the civilization and what Enterprise was going to do about it.

Oasis - featuring the actor who played Odo a very fun "ghost story" of an episode.

The Communicator - Travis accidentally leaves a piece of technology on a primitive planet, and returing to retrieve it turns all kinds of complicated!

Future Tense - where a timeship stranded in "our" time leads to the Enterprise being caught in a huge battle against the Tholians.

Canamar - where the Captain and Trip are falsely accused of smuggling and are being taken to an alien prison world. Great action on the prison ship and a compelling villain.

Some people will argue but Regeneration, a fantastic episode featuring the BORG from First Contact and puts a new spin on the idea that Q actually was looking out for humanity by sending the Enterprise out to meet the Borg in TNG.

The Expanse - one of my favorite episodes of season 2 that sees an upgraded Enterprise finally able to compete against Klingons ships and also prepares us all for their long journey in Season 3.

There are other episodes as well that are great, and there are some that SUCK but that's the same with ALL TV shows and ALL the Star Trek shows. But there are so many GOOD episodes that people have unfairly judged Enterprise and the people who have judged it unfairly need to sit back, relax, and watch it again.

Enterprise is not a re-hash, yes some episodes have been done before like season 2's Dawn (which is why its not on this quick list) but the GOOD far outweighs any bad.

Try watching it again with new eyes, you might be surprised.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I learned most of those life lessons a long time before, the writing remains horrible, so much so that any "historic events" they tried to portray I considered non canon and most of those episodes were as shallow as the actors that played them.

I'm sorry, I will never like Enterprise with the ONLY EXCEPTION of Regeneration. It was cool seeing the Legacy story arc in a TV show.
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Well, at least some of those eps were good.

But the writing was generally not that good, characterization was inconsistent (a waste of some damn good actors, IMO - I never had a problem with the cast of Enterprise, themselves), and the Temporal Cold War was one of the most annoyingly dumb things I've seen on television. Not Reality TV dumb, but disturbingly close.

The whole mind-meld-AIDs thing also had me cringing and rolling my eyes.

The Vulcan-Andorian conflict was good. IMO that and humans meddling in it, leading to eventual peace, should have been the main arc of the early seasons, leading into the Romulan meddling. Most of season 4 once they jettisoned a lot of the idiocy was also good.
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-11-2010, 02:16 PM
personally i thought some of those episodes were horrendously bad

enterprise did have some great eps and was an ok show but had some stinkers too and in comparison to the other treks was pretty weak. but different tastes for different people. its great that you really like those episodes
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-11-2010, 02:17 PM
I think most of us who had a problem with Enterprise objected, primarily, to its gratuitous violations of canon. Not that the writers didn't make some effort to keep to canon where it was convenient for them, but from the very first episode they basically established a pattern of tossing out canon where they saw fit.

It may not have been as obvious as the canonical violations that Abrams threw at us with his movie, but for any long time Trekkie, the moment the Klingons crash landed on Earth was the moment you knew that there were going to be serious problems with the series.

That said, I enjoyed both Enterprise and the Abrams movie. They were entertaining, and in the end, that is what matters. Do I wish the writers had cared more about canon? Sure. But I'm not gonna break down in fits of nerdrage over something as silly as canon, either. =)
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Well, at least some of those eps were good.

But the writing was generally not that good, characterization was inconsistent (a waste of some damn good actors, IMO - I never had a problem with the cast of Enterprise, themselves)
That could be said of all the Star Trek series lol - the entire first season of TNG they didn't know where the characters were going and other then Picard who was an amazing actor, Troy was often embarrassingly bad and who can forget Wesley. La Forge was protrayed as a guy who couldn't get a date if his life depended on it, and Warf was always angry. Ok, guess that last one was pretty consistant

People just normally put blinders on when remembering old shows. The production value on Enterprise was much higher then the previous ones
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-11-2010, 02:22 PM
As a TOS fan since 1969 (and TOS will always be #1 in my book); I've held ENT as my #2 series, and the best 'modern' (ie post 1987) Star Trek series to date. It had it's ups and downs, good and bad episodes, etc.; but overall, I think it came the closet to getting what made TOS so good. Although I don't thinl you'll find a TOS fan who'll defend the overall LOUSY writing in the majority of TOS season 3. (myself included)

And IMO the writing on ENT from season one to four was way better then the majority of TNG Seasons One and Two (seriously, can anyone still sit all the way though 'classics' like Code of Honor; or The Naked Now, Justice, The Royale, etc.) I can honestly count on one hand the episodes I would still call 'good' from either of TNGs first two seasons.

DS9 also took about a season and a half to find it's feet; and honestly, nothing in ENT's first season and a half is worse than the same period in DS9's first two seasons.

VOY was just plain garbage out of the gate. It's the only Star Trek series I gave up on (stopped watching after The 37's myself). Why? Well, it seems the writing staff couldn't make up theitr mind about how too write Captain janeway; and she often came across as psychotic as ojne week she's ready to sacrifice her ship and crew in the name of the Prime Diirective; yet the following week she's ready to throw the Prime Directive out the airlock and risk her ship for ONE crwewmember (or to keep her word, etc,). Then there's the issue of a great premise the Maqui (who LEFT the Federation because they feel the Federation is to idealistic and inflexible because it caved to the Cardassians without any regard to how the affected colony worlds felt about the deal) and a Federation crew that have to work together to get home; yet by the third episode; they've all decided to follow Janeway and do things the Federation way again). If there's one Star trek series that should have been cancelled after one season or less, this is it.

IMO - ENT's thirs and fourth seasons overall were some of the best Star Trek produced for TV since the better eopisodes of TOS season one.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-11-2010, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslan_chShran View Post
That could be said of all the Star Trek series lol - the entire first season of TNG they didn't know where the characters were going and other then Picard who was an amazing actor, Troy was often embarrassingly bad and who can forget Wesley. La Forge was protrayed as a guy who couldn't get a date if his life depended on it, and Warf was always angry. Ok, guess that last one was pretty consistant
Why yes, the first season of TNG was awful, along with quire a few episodes in the rest of the series.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I pretty much agree with Armsman. I too am an old school TOS fan, I found most of TNG cringe worthy, DS9 was better but lacked the since of exploration, and Voyager always seemd to me to be Star Trek's version of Gilligan's Island without the laughs. Making Enterprise my second favorite series.
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
I pretty much agree with Armsman. I too am an old school TOS fan, I found most of TNG cringe worthy, DS9 was better but lacked the since of exploration, and Voyager always seemed to me to be Star Trek's version of Gilligan's Island without the laughs. Making Enterprise my second favourite series.
No accounting for the old and senile :p

Ent was horrible for all but the last season.