Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11 Vulcan Massage
07-11-2010, 02:48 PM
My main problem with Enterprise was the acting. Except for the Doctor, everyone on the show is painful to watch. The Xindi episodes were decent, but I think that's because anger and fear encompassed the entire range of most of the cast.

But they were pretty. They were all pretty people. So there's that, but seriously how many excuses to get the crew down to their underwear (You're gonna have to rub this cream all over each other and then meet up for late night massage sessions) can you write into the show. (I think they set a record for Sci Fi that BSG later shattered [w/ much better actors])

So in conclusion...

1. Star Trek TV show with
2. Okay Writing but
3. Bad Acting by
4. Pretty People in their Underwear

So which one of these do you think is the reason I kept watching every week?
Lt. Commander
# 12
07-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Nah. When I see the Enterprise actors in other things, they're pretty good. Even a good actor can't salvage terrible writing and production. A great actor can (Will Smith is a master of that IMO), but not just a good one.
Lt. Commander
# 13
07-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
No accounting for the old and senile :p

Ent was horrible for all but the last season.
I am not that old, and am far from senile. Star Trek was always at its best when it wasn't preachy. TOS was seldom preachy. TNG was preachy, DS9 not so much, Voyager very preachy. With the exception of the AIDs allagory and the muddled mess that was the final episode Enterprise stayed away from preachy. If you want to address modern issues in much the same way TOS did you mustn't just present a one sided sermon. Often times even if your opposition is generally wrong about things they are still right some of the times and they often have valid points that need to be addressed in a real way. TOS did that TNG did not. Enterprise for the most part did that.
Lt. Commander
# 14
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarpVis View Post
I am not that old, and am far from senile. Star Trek was always at its best when it wasn't preachy. TOS was seldom preachy. TNG was preachy, DS9 not so much, Voyager very preachy. With the exception of the AIDs allagory and the muddled mess that was the final episode Enterprise stayed away from preachy. If you want to address modern issues in much the same way TOS did you mustn't just present a one sided sermon. Often times even if your opposition is generally wrong about things they are still right some of the times and they often have valid points that need to be addressed in a real way. TOS did that TNG did not. Enterprise for the most part did that.
Don't agree, found TOS trapped in 60's gender politics, jingoisms and general "white men are awesome" horse crap.
Lt. Commander
# 15
07-11-2010, 04:03 PM
I didn't mind Enterprise at all. I prefer the last season though. In fact i'm watching most of the rerun's on Virgin 1.

But maybe it suffered from George Lucas Itus. ( The inability to make prequals that are as good as the originals )
Lt. Commander
# 16 Trekkie or not, I don`t care!
07-11-2010, 04:05 PM
I`ve watched episodes of the old and the new all of TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise and I love them all. Why? Because now we don`t have any Star Trek shows anymore and that sucks. Maybe they can come out with a new show that could stem from the last movie with all the alterations that have changed the history of kirk and all the original star trek crew. Anyways too may people complain about different things, why not just enjoy them while they are there and go on living! Stop crying, just hope and pray we`ll have something in the near future to watch.
Lt. Commander
# 17
07-11-2010, 04:13 PM
I have to say, I hadn't seen any of Enterprise when it was on TV, but I've seen a few of the episodes lately (Yay, Youtube). Sure, they're a bit loose with the established continuity, but some of the stories are brilliant, and the characters and acting puts the likes of Voyager to shame.

You mentioned Dear Doctor, which is in the running for my favourite Trek episode ever. I spent DAYS arguing that dilemma with myself. I love things like that (I was an Ethics major at University).

I don't know why the show gets such a bad rap.
Lt. Commander
# 18
07-11-2010, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoplite View Post
Don't agree, found TOS trapped in 60's gender politics, jingoisms and general "white men are awesome" horse crap.
Then you didn't watch TOS.
Lt. Commander
# 19
07-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Nah. When I see the Enterprise actors in other things, they're pretty good. Even a good actor can't salvage terrible writing and production. A great actor can (Will Smith is a master of that IMO), but not just a good one.
The difference is that I liked the writing and acting in Enterprise. 100x better the Sisko in Deep Space 9. You think Archer was badly acted? Yikes I had to actively ignore how bad Sisko was acted...
Lt. Commander
# 20
07-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidheadjax View Post
Well, at least some of those eps were good.

But the writing was generally not that good, characterization was inconsistent (a waste of some damn good actors, IMO - I never had a problem with the cast of Enterprise, themselves), and the Temporal Cold War was one of the most annoyingly dumb things I've seen on television. Not Reality TV dumb, but disturbingly close.

The whole mind-meld-AIDs thing also had me cringing and rolling my eyes.

The Vulcan-Andorian conflict was good. IMO that and humans meddling in it, leading to eventual peace, should have been the main arc of the early seasons, leading into the Romulan meddling. Most of season 4 once they jettisoned a lot of the idiocy was also good.
Wait, Vulcan Pa'Nar syndrome?

....Actually, now that i think of it, the Memory Alpha Description of it kinda does sound like an indirect reference to AIDS.

In all honesty, i never really watched Enterprise. Not for the bad story or the mediocre acting. It threw me off when i saw that the NX-01 Enterprise ended up looking more advanced than the TOS Enterprise, although it was set in a Pre-Kirk timeline.

(P.S, NX-01 Enterprise = Akira Class, but flipped.)