Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Ten Forward
Login

Lt. Commander
# 81
07-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine_Falcon View Post
We did? Really?

Which series of Enterprise did YOU watch? I want to buy those episodes on Amazon!!

There were no stories about the birth of the Federation. It took place in the last 30 seconds of the last episode.

And how many episodes were there in the "save the newly founded Federation from the mean aliens that don't want to see the worlds united" story arc? Oh yeah. None. Because that story arc doesn't exist.

Which episodes featured the epic heart wrenching mistake that led the UFP Council to pass Directive One into law? Oh wait! Those episodes doesn't exist either.

And what episodes focused on the trials and tribulations of integrating all of the various member worlds' armed forces into the single unified Starfleet Command. Nope. That didn't happen either.

So yeah. I would really like to know which Enterprise series you watched, because the one that I watched had none of that.

Look, I like Enterprise. That doesn't mean that I'm not disappointed that it wasn't better. At least it didn't have Westley Crusher!

Actually, I disagree:

Cease Fire, elements of [b]Proving Ground/b] and Zero Hour; and even The Forge, Awakening, and Kishara all culminating with Babel One, United and The Anear did show a 'Birth of The Federation' story/theme; especially the final shot of Babel One where you see the NX-01 and a combined Fleet of Andorian, Tellerite and Vulcan ships in the same shot - all banding together to find the 'intruder' ship (remotely controlled by Romulans).

What I really enjoyed about Babel One, United and The Anear is that is gave a REASON for the impending Earth/Romulan War. The Romulans had been trying to keep all the Alpha Quadrant races at the point of fighting each other; and along comes te Humans starting to undo all that work and getting everyone to start to work together. How do the Romulans restore the Status Quo? Take out the Humans before they form an alliance between the species; but the war backfires, and (as mentioned in a couple of 24th century era shows) teh Federation is formed after the end of the Romulan War because everyone's concerned teh Romulans could return again and cause more havok.
Lt. Commander
# 82
07-14-2010, 03:24 PM
I can't believe you can consider Fortunate Son as a great episode. Sorry, I stopped reading there. That episode was terrible and even downright insulting, given the subtext:

A young African American escapes his ghetto to go to Starfleet college, only to feel alienated from his former friends and family as they truck it along on their primitive cargo freighter. Then he comes back to save the day with his fancy Starfleet ways, while his hard-working, blue collar brother does everything wrong.

*vomits

Plus Mayweather couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
Lt. Commander
# 83
07-14-2010, 10:47 PM
I watched the entire series in 2 weeks last year, overall, I ilked the series, it got pretty rushed in season 4 and the last episode was a mess, why they paid homage to TNG 10 yrs after that series ended is beyond me. Paramount should have put together a "made for TV" movie and wrapped it up a little better.

As for killing off Trip...none of those writers should ever be allowed to write another story page for any Star Trek series, movie or book...if thats the best they could come up with, to wrap up a Star Trek series, then they should find a new line of work.

Jolene Blalock had some pretty nasty things to say about the writers and the UPN bosses after they trashed the series. I think she was justified.
Lt. Commander
# 84
07-14-2010, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirkfat View Post
I can't believe you can consider Fortunate Son as a great episode. Sorry, I stopped reading there. That episode was terrible and even downright insulting, given the subtext:

A young African American escapes his ghetto to go to Starfleet college, only to feel alienated from his former friends and family as they truck it along on their primitive cargo freighter. Then he comes back to save the day with his fancy Starfleet ways, while his hard-working, blue collar brother does everything wrong.

*vomits

Plus Mayweather couldn't act his way out of a paper bag.
Where was this subtext written because I had never read it before - I don't think any "official" Trek site would use the word ghetto. Also, I disagree with that subtext and still consider it a great episode. I'm sorry YOU feel its a racist episode and downright insulting.

What, was his mom presented as an uneducated black woman? Hell no she was the GLUE that held the ship together, a strong black woman who had just lost her husband. Blue collar brother who does everything wrong? Hey, you try to take over for someone who's been running the ship since you were a baby and sometimes cataloged stuff in his head. I bet YOU would be thrown for a loop to and need a lot of time to mature into the role.

There was nothing racist about the episode but I'm not at all shocked that you hate Enterprise if you saw racism in Fortunate Son lol