Lt. Commander
# 1 Dazed and Confused
07-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I was just re-reading a thread in the Cruiser section about bringing the JJPrise to STO.

As usual, some folks took it off topic to discuss how they liked or didn't like Star Trek XI.

That got me thinking about the Star Trek franchise as a whole.

There are a lot of people who only consider TOS as canon and TNG not the true Star Trek.

There are also people who didn't care for the Cowboy in Space styling of TOS and preferred the more cerebral TNG.

Enterprise tried to bridge the stylistic gap between TOS and TNG in my opinion. There were some action episodes, there were some heady episodes. They completely botched and butchered the series with that horrid final episode. The show was canceled due to poor ratings.

So, we have people upset that JJ deviated from the original storyline/canon and calling it an abomination.

So, where were these folks during the last 2 seasons of Enterprise?

The last couple of Star Trek series didn't make it due to ratings being low. Simply put: not enough viewers.

Yet, Syfy and BBC America both show re-runs of TNG. Hard to justify if no one is watching.

Personally, I think the movie was good for us as fans. It has revived the Star Trek name and renewed interest in it. That is a GOOD thing.

Yes, I had issues with the story and yes the acting could have been a little better. But I, for one, am glad they made the movie. Without it, we'd have nothing to watch or look forward to watching than re-runs.

The prospect of more new content in the theater has me smiling.

To the haters out there: get over it... It is because of folks like you that Star Trek almost died out completely.
Lt. Commander
# 2
07-12-2010, 10:08 AM
-waddles in and sniffies at the OP...then, deeming it edible, latches onto it's head and begins nibbling on it happily while it reads the posts above-

-purrpurrpurrnibblenibblepurrpurrpurrpurr- ^_______^
Lt. Commander
# 3
07-12-2010, 10:15 AM
actualy i only consider roddenberys work to be true star trek,he was a uniqe and talented writer who had the power to tell the studio not to interfere,burman on the othere hand wrote cheap and predictable storys you could see on any sci fi show, and relied more on specil efficts and big boobies then deep charictors or intelectual plots
Lt. Commander
# 4
07-12-2010, 10:27 AM
now that i has read the posty ...

personally i find everything canon, if you notice theres almost a good 100 years between "enterpise" "tos" and "TNG" proceedures can change, also the extend of how situations are handle are usually left up to the individual captian so kirk was more of a space cowboy, where picard, not so much >_>;
as for the jjverse, i like it and consider it canon aswell, it's just like the mirror universe... even though it was really only shown in like what 1-5 episodes the mirror universe is considered canon
why are people so upset about the jjverse. if you don't like it then stop visiting it >_>; it's not hard to aviod, just don't go near any artifically created black holes (which should be common sense anyway )
Lt. Commander
# 5
07-12-2010, 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan420
actualy i only consider roddenberys work to be true star trek,he was a uniqe and talented writer who had the power to tell the studio not to interfere,burman on the othere hand wrote cheap and predictable storys you could see on any sci fi show, and relied more on specil efficts and big boobies then deep charictors or intelectual plots
@_@... i demand to see an example of big boobies in star trek! >=| at best all the boobies in start trek are average or, slightly above average! there is no "BIG" in start trek Dx

(the episode about the giant space boobie was cancelled due to the studio not being able to grasp the concept of a giant space bird >_>.... honestly i don't blame them >_>... can you just imagine all the inuendos assiciated with a giant boobie bird flying thru the sol system >_> )
Lt. Commander
# 6
07-12-2010, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by homsikpanda View Post
why are people so upset about the jjverse.
That is what I have been trying to figure out. There are like 6 to 8 posters that I have seen bash the JJ movie every time it comes up on one of the forums. They act like the creation of this movie was a personal attack on them for some reason.

Personally, I don't understand why they don't like it. I can point out crappy episodes in EVERY Star Trek series, including the original series.
Lt. Commander
# 7
07-12-2010, 10:39 AM
What it really boils down to is people just like b*tching and complaining.

On a side note, I freaking LOVE the OP's handle name.
Lt. Commander
# 8
07-12-2010, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericajoanne View Post
What it really boils down to is people just like b*tching and complaining.

On a side note, I freaking LOVE the OP's handle name.
I don't think an 800lbGorilla will fit in a pokeball. I advise against trying.
Lt. Commander
# 9
07-12-2010, 10:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
I don't think an 800lbGorilla will fit in a pokeball. I advise against trying.
A 2000 lb dinosaur thing does, so I think I could catch a 800lb gorilla. *throws a Master Ball and catches it* YAY!
Lt. Commander
# 10
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericajoanne View Post
A 2000 lb dinosaur thing does, so I think I could catch a 800lb gorilla. *throws a Master Ball and catches it* YAY!
-sneaks away in the hopes of not being noticed by the poke trainer so as to aviod being stuck in a pokeball- >_>